December 18, 2014

The Five: Forgotten on Sesame Street

by Adam Finley, posted Feb 9th 2006 7:01PM

sherlock hemlockToday's post is brought to you by the number 5.

We've all grown up with Sesame Street, right? We all know who Kermit, Bert, Ernie, Big Bird, Cookie Monster, and Grover are, but what about those Muppets who, while not as popular, are still a vital part of the human/Muppet mix who populate the popular street? Or are no longer a part of Sesame Street at all? There's way more than five, I can tell you that, but here's five of my favorite "second tier" Muppets from Sesame Street. Some are gone, some are just forgotten. Grab a bowl of Cheerios and your footy jammies and share some of your own memories in the comments. Now let's do it:

prairie dawnPrairie Dawn - Prairie Dawn was a precocious little girl with blond hair who would try to put on plays with the other Muppets. Usually the play would get ruined and the set would be destroyed. Prairie always tried to keep her composure, but eventually she'd blow her top. She wasn't much of a character, but she was a great straight man to play against the likes of Ernie or Cookie Monster.

herry monsterHerry Monster - Yes, it's spelled "Herry." This gentle blue Muppet is super strong, but he has a heart of gold. He doesn't have Grover's anxiety or Cookie Monster's insatiable appetite for cookies. Really, Herry doesn't have shtick to call his own. He's just a kind, gentle creature, and for any preschool kid sitting in front of the television, that's all that's asked.

don musicDon Music - This character hasn't been on Sesame Street for many years, but some of you may remember him as the frustrated pianist who would bang his head on the piano when he couldn't get a song right. Apparently kids started imitating his head bashing at home, so the character was given the boot.

Roosevelt FranklinRoosevelt Franklin - My memory of Roosevelt Franklin is an album my grandfather had when we were kids called Roosevelt Franklin Sings. He was a small purple "human" Muppet whose voice was provided by Matt Robinson, the first "Gordon" on Sesame Street. Roosevelt actually became quite popular in his short time on the show with his love of rhymes and poetry, but some felt the character represented a negative cultural stereotype, so he too is no longer with us.

sam the robotSam the Super-Automated Robot - I had to dig deep into the recesses of my mind to recall this character, who I don't think ever really took off. I have only vague memories of Sam, but I remember he would clank and rattle and pretty much screw up any task that was given to him. Apparently he didn't leave too much of a lasting effect on anyone else, either, because I think he was gone as soon as he arrived.

Marlene Cranford

There's a man at my work that looks and sounds exactly like the grumpy guy in the restaurant (except he isn't blue). Do you know who I'm talking about? Grover, as a waiter, keeps bringing him food that he complains about. Anyone know where I can find a picture of this guy? I need to give my co-worker some grief :-)

March 02 2006 at 8:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tiny Dancer

Meryl was indeed an actress. She didn't last long. One of my favorite celeb sendups was Ethel Mermaid, a take on Ethel Merman. Her best known performance may be "I Get A Kick Out Of U".

February 14 2006 at 10:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
James Kabala

The eighties and early nineties saw a lot of bizarre rip-offs of real-life celebrities, most notably Placido Flamingo and Meryl Sheep. (The former was an opera singer, of course; I suppose the latter must have been an actress, but I don't remember for sure.)

February 13 2006 at 10:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tiny Dancer

Bex, you're looking for "Teeny Little Super Guy" and you'll find him on my site, enjoy! I messed up the urls before, so just click on my name and then Sesame Street, you'll find him. He does still show up on the current series now and then, BTW, so he's not forgotten yet! Cheers.

February 11 2006 at 12:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bex

The Yip-Yips are definitely a missing fixture on Sesame Street! On another related note: My friend and I are trying to find some clips or the theme song to Tiny Little Super Guy. This search has been going on for months! Any help out there?

February 10 2006 at 2:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tiny Dancer

I remember them all very well! I actually have a skit with Sam the Super-Automated Robot transcribed on my site here:

And
Don Music's version of "Mary Had A Little Lamb" is here:

And
finally, let's not forget the fab Mr. Hooper:

February 10 2006 at 11:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Duane

We've got a video with Don Smiley. Kermit tries to help him write a song which turns out eventually to be a version of "Mary Had A Little Bicycle." Great stuff, especially the look on reporter Kermit's face as they argue over the validity of the lyrics.

February 10 2006 at 9:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian Beck

I'm really thinking that Don Music and Mo Rocca were separated at birth.

I know they're called the Yip-Yips, but I swear I've always thought they were saying "Yep" as in "Yes." They'll always be my favorite.

February 10 2006 at 9:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
astrogirl

I miss:

* colambo
* sherlock hemlock
* forgetful joe
* sully and biff the construction workers
* the yip yip aliens
* gladys the cow

Im 32 now, and I still quote forgetful joe. And when the kiddo was younger we would sing the yip yip song to him. It's amazing how something like sesame street can have such an impact on you even 25 years later.

February 09 2006 at 9:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
James Fee

Well Prairie Dawn is still on Play with me Sesame so she's not forgotten.

I