October 25, 2014

Franken ponders politics

by Adam Finley, posted Feb 10th 2006 5:53PM

al frankenAl Franken recently moved his radio show to my humble little metropolis of Minneapolis, the city where he grew up. By sheer coincidence I know one of his producers and I asked them why he was back in his homestate of Minnesota. Turns out Franken is giving some serious consideration to making a senate run in 2008. He hasn't officially thrown his hat in the ring, according to an interview with AlterNet he did recently, but the fact that he moved the whole shebang to Minnesota pretty much makes one think it's going to happen. I think the "celebrity to politician" move is a crap shoot at best, but this is Minnesota, and Al is a hometown boy. I figure if Jesse Ventura could get his hulking frame into office Franken probably stands a pretty good chance.

In the interview, Franken talks about humor revealing a deeper truth (something I completely agree with), but even with his recent political affiliations, do people still think of him as just Al Franken the funny guy from Saturday Night Live? Put another way, can a person add a new dimension to their public persona after so many years of being seen only one way? It has happened, but that move is always a tenuous one.

Don Wilson

I support him in trying to run for senate solely because I know he would be dominated by any other competitor.

February 13 2006 at 7:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark

He's hardly stark-raving-mad int he Ann Coulter sense of the term. However, even though I respect him and his political commentary a great deal, I think a senate run is a poor idea. I generally believe in a separation of pundit-and-state, the ideological sacrifices required to actually get things done in Washington run counter to the uncompromising rhetoric that punditry demands. I think Franken can do much more for the Democratic party by continuing his role as flag carrier (and the Democrats sure need them, they're woe-fully undermanned in the blowhard department).

February 12 2006 at 12:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TC

Was he ever funny on SNL? I always found him to be very annoying, even before I found out he was a stark-raving-mad-liberal(tm)! :)

February 11 2006 at 4:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maddr

i'm a conservative, and i pray he runs for the senate in Minn. Just as i hope Hillary runs for the prez in 08..In the old days (pre-internet) the Liberal media or the MSM may have been put a beard on these two and they might have slipped by..but today it would be impossible...Hillary and or Franken will get crushed in the general election, but they might be able to raise a lot of money to funnel into their private accounts, whick i presume is Franken's purpose. Rememeber you get to keep the money you raise and don't spend! ask John Kerry

February 11 2006 at 4:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sy

Anyone who listens to his shows and read his books is a certifiable left wing nut. So of course a left wing nut would think Al Franken is viable.

February 11 2006 at 2:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply