October 25, 2014

How to save money on cable

by Anna Johns, posted Feb 10th 2006 9:55AM
fccThe FCC just released a report that says Americans would save up to 13% on their cable bills if the cable companies would just let us buy channels individually. That can't be making the cable companies happy, which insist on not only pushing channel packages on us, but also on raising their rates as much as 6% each year.

Channels I'd dump if I could buy cable a la carte:

QVC
Home Shopping Network
Shopping
GOLF
Fox Sports
Court TV
Jewelry TV
TV Guide (no need for it when you have TiVo)

I'd keep ESPN and ESPN 2 around for the behind-the-scenes broadcasts of SportsCenter. That's awesome television.

Brent McKee

In Canada we've had what i like to call "limited a la carte" for quite some time. Digital Cable channels have been available on an a la carte basis for quite some time as well as being part of packages or tiers of stations. The individual stations tend to go for between $1.99 to $2.99 a month while the packages are much less per channel. The problem with packages is that you get stations you don't really wont in order to get ones you do in order to reduce costs. If you can get three out of five stations you want in a package of eight for a lower price than you'd pay to get the other two individually, wouldn't you do it that way? My cable company doesn't offer packages of specific stations in digital but they do offer groups of any five (or ten) stations for a discount price - which may explain why they are my cable company.

February 10 2006 at 6:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN:

Big 4 HD
CW/WB HD
ESPN HD
DISCOVERY HD
HBO HD
Weather Channel
Comedy Central

Only if cheaper and in HD:
MTV
FX
CNN/MSNBC
FOOD
FOX SPORTS
VH1
HDNET/HDNET Movies
INHD1&2

February 10 2006 at 5:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jaymez

I'd keep the news networks, the discovery networks, and the history networks. Everything else would be dropped and never missed, including Fox.

February 10 2006 at 4:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doc

Silly me. I thought this was going to be a how-to on bit torrent. :D

February 10 2006 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shawn

I just don't see how people will end up saving money by going a la carte, especially since ESPN already increases in their cost year after year. I pay $35/month for 53 channels whereas with a la carte, I'd be spending $20 or so for 10 channels maybe. Who is going to say what networks can charge and will we have the choices if number of subs goes down. Discovery and even ESPN have been able to try different niches since their main ones are carried by just about everyone.

February 10 2006 at 1:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Big D

hmmm, what to keep . . .
FX - Home to 3 of the best shows on TV: The Shield, Nip/Tuck and Rescue Me.

SciFi-Battlestar
ESPN Networks-ESPN,The Deuce,Classic,News
Discovery-Chopper,Top Gear et.
TLC-Overhaulin'
The Networks-Fox,ABC,NBC,CBS,WB & UPN (CW)
NFL Network-The NFL, nuff said
Speed TV-RRRRRRRRacing
PBS-must have mysteries
HBO-CYE,Entourage,DeadWood,Sopranos,Rome etc.
The other movies channels on case by case basis
USA - 4400,Monk etc.
Comedy Central-HaHaHaHaHaHaHa,must laugh

All in HiDef of course, lol

February 10 2006 at 12:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Armando

Like the others, there are only a bunch I'd keep

The Big 4 Networks
Cartoon Network
Boomerang
Discovery Channel
History Channel
FoodTV
HBO lineup

That would be a nice cable bill.

February 10 2006 at 11:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

TBS
TNT
History
Discovery

February 10 2006 at 11:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Samuel McConnell

I dropped Cable and went with OTA Digital. Here's what I would get if I could get cable a la carte:

The Big 4
Spike TV (just for the daily Star Trek fix)
Food Network
Comedy Central
Cartoon Network
SciFi Channel
The Discovery Channel
Discovery Health

February 10 2006 at 11:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

There are too many to list of what I would want to get rid of. Here is what I would keep.

The big 4 networks
SciFi
USA
TNT
TBS
FoodTV
History
Discovery
A&E
Bravo (but only for Project Runway)
TCM
Cartoon
HGTV (but only to keep the wife happy)

That is all I ever watch on TV.

February 10 2006 at 10:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply