Kelly Clarkson: American Idol? What's that?

by Kim Voynar, posted Feb 10th 2006 10:42AM

It's not entirely unheard of for stars to accidentally omit thanking someone during the heady rush of an awards acceptance speech. Hardly anyone forgets to thank God or Jesus, but accountants, personal assistants,  ex and current spouses, sure. I can totally understand how someone might forget one name out of the long list of names they have to rattle off in 20 seconds. When accepting two Grammy awards Wednesday night, however, Kelly Clarkson neglected to mention the show that gave her big start - American Idol. Clarkson, who won awards for best pop vocal album for "Breakaway" and female pop vocal performance for "Since U Been Gone", thanked pretty much everyone else on the planet, but not Idol or its judges, Simon Cowell, Randy Jackson and Paula Abdul. Clarkson defended herself afterwards, saying she thanked "the fans" and that's American Idol.

Well, not exactly, Kelly. I mean, don't get me wrong - I think Kelly Clarkson rocks, and she's done very well for herself since she won Idol, beating out Justin Guarini (who, since that godawfulness of the film From Justin to Kelly, seems to have slipped into obscurity). But if you look back at photos of Clarkson before and during her audition, compared to now, she hardly resembles her former self. Without Idol, she might very well still be hawking popcorn at that movie theater job and singing Celine Dion songs in smoky karaoke bars instead of cradling two Grammys. I bet Simon was...displeased...at the lack of love for Idol.

DENNIS FM DOVER

I GOT A SAYING, AT SOME POINT, YOU HAVE TO FLY ON YOUR OWN, AND SURE, AMERICAN IDOL GAVE HER THE INITIAL EXPOSURE. NONE OF HER FANS CAN DENY THAT. BUT WHAT SHE ACCOMPLISHES NOW IS DRIVEN MORE ON HER TALENT AS AN ARTIST. AMERICAN IDOL CAN GET YOU TO THE TOP, BUT IT CERTAINLY WON'T KEEP YOU THERE.

March 14 2006 at 2:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
phish73

Well its true that without AI she probably wouldnt be famous today, but then again, if you believe in fate, it was meant to be.
However, AI made a CRAP LOAD of money off of her so i guess they're even.

February 14 2006 at 1:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jay

I agree with the original post. Yes, she's talented, but without AI she would be at best a back-up singer for a better-looking popstar. AI allows people who normally wouldn't be given the time of day at a record label to be thrust into stardom.

And yeah, she made a name for herself outside of Idol. But the Grammys are a huge deal, she should have acknowledge why people even recognized her at the beginning.

And I'm sick of hearing that she, Carrie and Clay are the only former contestants to have careers. Fantasia is all over the Urban music. Just because you don't listen to it doesn't mean she isn't enjoying success. Ruben had a successful debut and has now hit the Gospel circuit. The only person not living up to the Idol-hype so far has been Bo.

February 10 2006 at 10:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JimK

I agree with 2...how many years does she have to "stay faithful" to Idol? She's way, way past that now. Anyone who expects her to stay beholden to that pop factory is insane...she made it because she broke away. Idol produces flash-in-the-pan stars. She has lasted in spite of Idol.

February 10 2006 at 3:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Keller

Who really cares what Simon, or any of the judges, think? I'm sure that she thanked them, and American Idol, plenty when she won so many years ago. The only thing they did was to get her the recording contract, they didn't do anything to make her into the mainstream star that she has become. That credit goes to her and her management team.

The Kelly Clarkson who won American Idol and the Kelly Clarkson that accepted the Grammy award are two different people now.

February 10 2006 at 2:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gooby

Honestly, I could care less whether she thanks American Idol judges or not, I don't think she should have to. Everyone pretty much knows she's from American Idol, she's had hard time shedding that particular stigma off her to begin with. She's had to do a lot of work to kind of get rid of that reality tv type of rep and be recognized as a true artist. So, I get it and I don't have a beef with that.

And as pointed, how many years should she be thanking the people who got her started in the entertainment industry? Seriously. Say thank you once and that should be enough. Having to keep being thankful for something for the rest of your life and expecting to say thanks to American Idols and their makers every chance she gets? In my book, she really doesn't have to do that anymore.

February 10 2006 at 12:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
S. Cave

For how many years should she be expected to thank Idol? At what point does she get to stand on her own credits?

Idol gave her the chance to put that first CD out, but anything after that is all between her and the people who liked her enough to pay for another CD.

February 10 2006 at 11:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent

I could really care less if she was to thank Idol or not. Actually I am kind of glad she didn't. My reasons? She has distanced herself from Idol by getting out of that god-awful contract, she wrote/co-wrote over half the album. Sure she did start out because of Idol, but she stands on her own. Look at everyone else from Idol - only two people come close, Clay and Carry. Another good example is if you were "found" by one label, but then after two albums you switch to a different label. Now if you switched and then suddenly won all these awards, would you still recognize the first label? In the past it hasn't happened much, so I don't know.

February 10 2006 at 11:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brad Hill

I don't think Kelly has to explain or apologize for her omission of AI from her thank-you speech. It was years ago, and I'm sure she is eager to distance herself from that particular route. Kelly is no longer a winning contestant; she is a legit pop star no longer under management contract to the Idol companies. She has left the crib. No need to continue referring to it.

February 10 2006 at 10:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply