April 24, 2014

Kneeling at the altar of Oprah

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 10th 2006 3:00PM

Oprah WinfreyOprah Winfrey is the Most Powerful Person In The Universe (TM), but many people aren't happy with her power and reach, including Mark Jurkowitz of The Boston Phoenix. In this lengthy article, he talks about the many ways that we may have reason to fear Oprah, from her expensive seminars to the effect she has on news and culture, and her role as "sanctimonious bully" (those are the words of Robert Thompson, head of The Center For The Study Of Television) in her recent takedown of author James Frey.

What do you think? Do you like Oprah? Does this article make any good points?

Scott

She is dangerous for two reasons. shes getting heavily into new age theology, and she is very influential. so she can (and is) leading MANY people down a road to destruction.

She is a believer in "The Secret" or "The law of attraction" in which you control the future by way of concentration and faith. which is exactly the way witchcraft works.

From a witchcraft site.

"Taking the steps in mind, as a magical practitioner, one must clearly state and visualize what the desire is. Draw a picture, make a vision board via collage, paint your goal, offer in prayer. Most Witches and Magicians do this already, but for the beginning student of the Craft this can be a difficult first step to master. In the process outlined in The Secret, this is the Ask step. Do not focus on how it will come, only on the end result. Say it out loud if necessary. Think of this as placing an order in a catalog.

The next course of action to take would be Believe. For us Pagans, this is performed through ritual, more direct visualization, spellwork whether in-group or solitary, and journaling the experience. This step also for us implies praising and acknowledging the God and Goddess as well as any other spiritual forces that were called upon to help with the manifestation."

And now in the Chicago tribune we have an article that has coined a new dance for her called the " Oprah Worship Dance" (this makes me sick)

formally called the ripple to honor the blackeyed peas. the lead singer of the blackeyed peas also does the "yes we can- thank you satan" song

Evil can not appear as evil or it will not be accepted. stay away from Oprah

September 09 2009 at 12:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ebay wholesale directory

Hello:

I am not one of those Oprah cultist freaks, but I can say that these days she is really looking very attractive.

She has lost so much weight and not only that she has started to motivate her staff and her audience to do the same.

ebay wholesale directory

July 06 2006 at 1:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cookie Middleton

the only reason Oprah is a #1 talk show host, she offers gifts and monetary prizes to those who watch her show. As for losing weight, then writing a book on how "YOU CAN TO," well, if I had her money and could afford her personal cooks and personal trainers, hell, I could lose weight to. she has no right to have a book on how to lose weight.

April 07 2006 at 8:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robert

I cant believe some of the writings on this board!! What the hell has that woman done to you, except try to raise the minds and views of minorities and women in this world. I think she has amassed a lot of wealth and power because she doesnt sit around griping about this person and scared of that person and tries her best to move her life and others forward. Shame that you dont see that and tried to do the same for you. Just a question, when was the last time you had anything positive to say about anyone?? Cant think back that far huh?? I went through cancer this year have come to the realization that life is not about whining and bring down others, but building and moving forward. After I came through chemo, I sat down and thought about all the people who had touched my life in a positive manner and tho I had to seriously track some people, I called as many as I could find to let them know what they meant to me and how much I appreciated them for coming into my life. Sappy, yes, but I think I learned that lesson from Oprah. Appreciate life and what God has in mind for you. God bless you Oprah!!

March 29 2006 at 9:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nelfa of Maple Valley, WA

Oprah is every world to me and I ALSO worry those people who has problems when it comes to Oprah. What he did to James Frey was understandable - I will do the same thing!

March 19 2006 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patricia A. Clauser

As for Oprah being a "devout Christian", she has maintained a relationship for many years with a man she has never married. In my opinion that sets a very bad example for young people.

March 14 2006 at 2:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maureen Murphy-Baird

I admire a lot of the good work Oprah does for humanity especially the Black Community. The way she attempted to assure her stature by 'shaming' James Frey was painful to witness.
I read and very much enjoyed his book after the 'expose' and was sorry to learn the depth of Winfrey's self righteousness & and self importance. It embarrased me terribly....for her.
MM-B

March 13 2006 at 2:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Judy

Oprah has my admiration for being a self-made and successful woman; and I do agree with some of her philosophy.

BUT.....I don't see her as being a "perfect" moral example for women today. It really IS her own personal business; but in my opinion, a lady needs to have a marriage license in hand to live with a man.

I'm sure she doesn't loose sleep over what a person like me or anyone else for that matter thinks; but I kind of take some of her self-righteous expounding of what's moral with a grain of salt sometimes.

March 13 2006 at 10:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Virginia Ann McHugh

Until this country begins to grow up...as individuals..collectively...people like Oprah will make out like bandits.
Certainly she is overpaid and over publiced...but who has put her in that position?
Its the same with people in Sports..in the Filmaking world..obscene amounts of money thrown at them..that would make just about anyone forget reality.
We may always have our Oprahs and our Paris Hiltons..but do we have to diefy them?
Long past time for us all to get serious..Entertainment is just that...Entertainment.
And Oprah is the consumate Entertainer.
Good on her...but keep it in perspecive.
Over the years I have watched her fall more and more in love with herself..the times I do turn on her show..is because of a guest I want to see..such as Dr. Oz or Maria Shriver etc.
I believe it was Maria who said something like...To whom much has been given...much will be expected.
Oprah can do better...perhaps she will...if we stop trying to make her something she is not...Perfect.
As a women of years...65 to be exact..I would give her this advice..find a friend who will tell you exactly the way it is...not just "yes" you to death..and maybe you will still have a chance to fulfill your true destiny..I think before you got off track..you could have been a real shining light for this country for the world. V

March 01 2006 at 10:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cheryl

I can't stand Oprah any more. It's all me me me and she is over board on African American issues. I am black and sick of her making issues over us. She is stirring the pot. Wish she would get off the air and let someone else have the spot light. She needs to retire and go on. Go away!!

February 24 2006 at 8:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply