July 23, 2014

Things I Hate About TV: TV!

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 12th 2006 2:02PM

Love MonkeyYeah, I love TV and I write about it...but boy, sometimes I just hate it.

Case in point: last week sucked for television. You can have your Olympics, but it's also the week that we saw the last episode of Arrested Development, the cancellation of Love Monkey, and the (probable) cancellation of Surface. Ugh.

What do TV executives want? Do they want American Idol-level ratings from the get-go? Whatever happened to giving a show a chance? Or moving something to a different night/time and seeing how that works out instead of just cancelling something after only a few episodes? Why don't the networks get out that damn board, the giant one with little cards that have the schedule on it, and actually place a good, promising show in a better time slot to help it get viewers?

Right now, CBS is replacing Love Monkey with reruns of NCIS. Yeah, because that's what we need. Love Monkey wasn't perfect, but can anyone say it didn't have potential or deserve to stay on the air? If NBC does indeed cancel Surface, I'm sure a reality show will go in there. And I'm sure FOX has too many awful sitcoms waiting in the wings to keep the critically-acclaimed, award-winning, cult favorite AD around (yeah, TV is a business and it didn't get ratings, but if a network has a show on their schedule that even they admit is great, place it after American Idol or 24 or something). Imagine the good will FOX would have generated from fans and the industry. They wouldn't hear all the "FOX sucks" and "FOX execs are morons" talk. They would have been the network that kept one of the best sitcoms in television history on the air.

Gary Brumley

while we are at it
since democracy is gone sense 911
why not just close the doors and borders on those
who worship and use the word infidel
sense the allah world understands the utter
impossibility of a multi-cultural society
while we are at it...lets just keep those people out
americans are fools to think we can
turn the wild enraged gods of the middle east
loose in our golden fields of freedom
allah is burned and embedded in the brains
of fanatics who think it is their duty to destroy thier own
nation then turn to set fire to the whole planet
americans know that the democratic bridge is falling down
and its only a matter of time until the restless tribes rap
the world into utter confusion
while our news media's promote the whole collapse

October 28 2006 at 11:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marti

I really liked Love Monkey. It may not have been perfect, but it was SO much better than stupid sitcoms, lame "reality" and cloned crime shows.

There is a Save Love Monkey petition...probably a lost cause, but I signed it LOL

Yes TV is a business, but it is a waste of their resources to heavily promote a program, then turn around and cancel it after three episodes. As I understand it, they have 8 episodes in the can. They could have played them all to give it a little bit fairer shot.

February 15 2006 at 11:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gigglechick

i am seriously LIVID that they shot the Love Monkey straight in the heart (and killed it off just in time for Valentine's Day. bastards.)

3 episodes. THREE. and one week it was shoved aside because of the bloody state of the union.

*sigh*

February 15 2006 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cross777

Forget the FOX didn't promote it arguement. They promoted it, as much or more than they promote anything that isn't IDOL, or Animals Attack or some other stupid animal act.

STOP watching shows on FOX, they are the worst network for canceling good shows - just off the top of my head - Space:Above and Beyond - John Doe - Tru Calling - Firefly - Brisco County Jr. - Futurama, and I'm sure I missed some.

Love Monkey had low ratings, and someone here even pointed out it had some strange sound problems/issues.

I think its possible to OVER Promote shows. Love Monkey, Heather Graham's show and the Jenna Elfman show this year, every Sienfeld actors new show, the networks overhype and drive expatiations so high the shows cant deliver the numbers.

According to this Wikipedia there were 15 shows canceled after 1 episode running from 1961 to now.

February 13 2006 at 6:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AR

Love Monkey sucked. It was trying to be smarter than it really was, but nobody was fooled. Too contrived, for me.

February 13 2006 at 11:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark

'Family Guy', above, nailed it with just one part of it: People don't want to have to think. They want easy entertainment, easy "yuks", nothing that they will have to really pay attention to to get. They want dumbed down TV, which is exactly why we have so many mindless reality shows, their knockoffs and the reason why intelligent programming (Arrested Development) can't make it.

February 13 2006 at 2:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kel

I blame the whole ratings system, which I think is screwed up. How come shows that NOONE seems to talk about (ie: most of the stuff on CBS except CSI and Survivor) end up in the top ten? And why did all the crap shows that came on after Friends (The Single Guy) get such high ratings? Did that many people really watch those shows?

February 12 2006 at 11:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Morgan at Spot Cost

I feel the same way. I mean, Family Guy and American Dad are on, and Futurama is gone? Simpsons is stinking up the entire 21st century and they keep right on rolling, and people apparently keep on watching. Go figure.

Doc is right. I watched all three of these shows, I liked them all. But AD was never going to do anything for Fox. I called half a dozen friends every week to remember to watch it, but I always had to add "don't miss the first five minutes or it'll make no sense". It wasn't an easy show. And it was expensive, something like 1.5M a show.

Surface and Veronica Mars are miles better than Lost, but people don't seem to mind watching nothing happen every week if they think it's a "smart, character-based" show. Yeah, right.

Big Momma's House 2 had the third best January opening ever. Mariah Carey and Green Day sell tons of music. People watch CSI and Two and Half Men. Tons of people drink Starbucks. I don't like those things, but it doesn't make me right, just a little snobby about my entertainment.

Maybe people just don't want to have to think after work, they want a couple of easy yuks and a comfy seat. That's just the way it is.

This is not a new phenomenon, trust me. I used an Amiga about 5 years past the point of it being a lost cause, while people plugged away on B&W Macs and Windows 3.0. It's tough to watch sometimes.

Just keep watching things you like, try to get others to, and relax. Some of them will last, most of them won't.

February 12 2006 at 9:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doc

Yes Matt, my explanation was superficial, but no more so than the relentless FOX sucks posts. Fox certainly isn't blameless in the matter, but to place no blame on the viewing audience is ignoring half of the problem.

Maybe I am expecting too much of the average television viewer. For me, all I require of the networks is to air the shows. There are countless outlets that will tell me every day what is being broadcast. I can spare the three minutes out of my day to look it up.

February 12 2006 at 9:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

Oh well, I guess they don't want me to watch TV anymore. I suppose I'll just go and take my large disposable income and 30-something, freewheeling lifestyle elsewhere. Fucking morons.

I'm sorry, there simply is no way to discuss TV scheduling decisions without cussing a great deal. Things like this have convinced me to just ween myself of television through attrition. I don't care how great the next show is. I'm not gonna watch. It'll just be cancelled in a day or two.

New policy! I'll buy the DVD in 3 or 4 years if everyone and their brother assures me it's a great show. Else, I'm just watching Law and Order reruns.

Morons.