October 21, 2014

Grey's Anatomy: (As We Know It)

by Sarah Gilbert, posted Feb 13th 2006 2:31AM

When this episode ended, I just wanted to turn off my TV. I knew that nothing coming after it could possibly approach my now-heightened television standards. This show now ranks in my top-five list, greatest hours of TV ever. Seriously.

And it wasn't just the dramatic circumstances - the bomb inside a patient, the impending birth of Bailey's son, the threatened death of her husband, the sexual tension between Alex and Izzie, the looove tension between Shepherd and Meredith, Burke and Cristina. It was the film work, the emotion, the music, the heart-stopping fear and love and agony and ... just wow. And the shower scene, my lord, that was truly great stuff. Every bit of dirt that sullied my conscience after loving the shower scene that opened last week's episode was [yes I'm conscious of my double entendre] washed away.

Thanks, ABC, for advertising the Season 1 DVD at the end of this episode! Great. 'cause all I want is the DVD of this season now.

If the shower scene was the most striking, it had plenty of runners-up. There was, for instance, one of the first scenes, where Meredith and Cristina are both tending to the guy with the bomb. Burke asks Cristina to leave, and naturally, she doesn't want to. His response - that he needs her to leave, he can't think with her in there - would spark empathy in even the hardest of TV-watching hearts.

Then there's the scene between George and Addison Shepherd, when he asks her, isn't there anything they can do for Bailey? When she says she's so freaked out she can't possibly think of a dumber question, I feel compassion and pissiness towards the doctor in pink. Did she really need to get that pointed in her response?

George's answer, though, is lovely. He tells Bailey that she needs to fight, she needs to do, that she's that sort of person. And he gets right in there with her - literally - to help her push the baby out.
The pushing scene is admirably long. Bailey doesn't push the baby out in two grunt-filled puffs! I so hate it when TV shows do that. I pushed for two hours with both my boys (to no avail, they both ended up as c-sections, but that's another story) and it injures me personally when producers make childbirth seem so quick. And I think we can all agree? We want George to be our birth coach. Oh, he's going to make such a cute daddy one day! If he can do this for his boss, can you imagine how great he'd be for his own wife?

Then there is, of course, the gurney scene. It turns out that the operating room where the bomb guy is sitting is right over the oxygen line. If the bomb were to go off over that, the whole hospital would explode. And we don't want that. In order to address the problem, the gurney needs to be moved before the bomb is extracted. And Meredith has to hold her hand steady in these excruciatingly slow steps down a long hall.

This is where the camera work arrested me most. Focusing in on those little rubber feet, that was a masterstroke. The tension was enormous and we were all biting our tongues when we saw that metal strip on the floor... ack.

The part where Meredith is removing the bomb is almost calm in comparison. And as she hands it over to the bomb squad guy, the music is fantastic, perfect, and my husband and I are arguing. "He's going to blow up as soon as he leaves the room," says hubbie. "No, he's not!" I respond. "I'm sure of it." Then Meredith walks out in the hall, with (wow she's really a good actress) this look of curiosity, mild concern, on her face. Uh-oh. I still don't believe that the bomb will explode. I don't. And... pow.

I didn't want the bomb to explode. But that was one of the best explosion scenes I've ever witnessed.

Wrapping up, the end is just a succession of fantastic vignettes. McDreamy's face when he comes off the elevator, looking frantically for Meredith, the "where is she?" misinterpreted by the Chief (but not, at all, by Mrs. Chief). Bailey bringing her little boy - "William George Bailey Jones" - to see his daddy. The shower scene. Oh my, the shower scene, filled with the intimacy of fear, love, trauma between friends in stark contrast to the fantasy shower scene of lust and delicious bubbles of the previous episode. Cristina telling Burke that she loved him, too, once he'd fallen asleep. The "last kiss" thing between Meredith and McDreamy. It was all pretty great, although I didn't really like the device of having Dr. Shepherd keep starting to leave, then coming back for more conversation... it was a bit awkward after a beautiful, beautiful show. But somehow, everything is awkward between Meredith and McDreamy now, isn't it?

You can see nearly all my favorite scenes in the ABC video. You go ABC (now if you could go leave out the damned minivan commercials, that would be great).

Jeff Oliver

I keep watching for someone to mention "the bomb guys"
and acknowledge them as Heros. I firmly believe not
recognizing the bomb guys is a huge mistake in an otherwise great program. Shame in the writer's for missing this one!!!

May 01 2006 at 3:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mallery

does anyone know who the song that was playing at the end of that episode was sung by and the name of it?

March 01 2006 at 10:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

Grey's Anatomy is by far one of the best shows I've seen in a long time since back in the beginning days of ER. I love the fact that even though McDreamy is trying to make a go of it with Addison, deep in his heart he knows it belongs to Meredith. As for Dr. Bailey, love her and so do her interns so much so that they just couldn't be assigned to anyone else. Christina and Burke are funny, he's serious and she's got this nochalant I don't want to be too serious attitude, I'd like to see someone from Burke's past pop up and put some heat under Christina. To the producer and writer of this show KEEP IT COMING.

February 17 2006 at 2:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jamal

I can't believe they blew up the bomb squad guy! The way they compared him to Shephard in Meredith's mind, giving her the courage to do what had to be done. The music, the whole setup... the way her eyes looked at him and the way he looked back, giving her support and conveying so much emotion, the emotion that any man would give a woman when in that situation, a conveyance of courage, bravery, and even love. No one else in the world could have shared that moment with her at that point in time, and that experience had created a bond between them... after that amazing setup, they blew him up??! I was so thrown off... I was dead sure that he was going to be the guy to get her over Shephard! Well anyways... that put me in a bad mood. After all that, there's no way Shephard could really even compare, and perhaps that's why they had him say the LAMEST line EVER after the poor thing was nearly blown up!: "I'm glad you didn't die today." Are you kidding me?? Does anyone real actually say that in this circumstance in such a calm and casual manner? I mean, we're led to believe that these two love each other, and that this guy hasn't gotten over her. When he first got out of the elevator, the direction was excellent, because he looked appropriately desperate in his attempt to find Meredith... so at the end he finally does, and you expect him to embrace her in some crazy "THANK GOD you're ALIVE" sort of way; instead, you get hmm... well sure is great that you're not dead sweety, 'cuz that would suck and stuff. Lame ending to an othererwise awesome episode!

February 17 2006 at 3:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jen

what was the song they were playin toward the end there-just breathe who wrote it?

February 16 2006 at 11:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff

Hey, I'm a big fan of the show. Haven't missed an ep yet. When the bomb went off I was shocked. Yeah, I wanted to see Meredith buy him a beer afterward. But on further reflection, all I keep thinking is... why didn't the hallway catch fire. I mean, what a clean little bomb. Vaporized the bomb squad, knocked Meredith on her ass, but didn't really seem to damage the hospital. Other than that relatively minor gaff, this was an incredible hour of television.

February 15 2006 at 6:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gig

Those that thought it was strange that the McDreamy and Burk didn't know everyone was alright need to remember they were both in the middle of operations when the blast happened. A significant period of time passed between the blast and the lobby shot.

February 15 2006 at 12:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

It annoys the crap out of me that Izzy is doing Alex when there's George around. George is marriage material if she'd ever look beyond the physical (it's too late for Meredith). It wasn't just the scenes with Bailey but also the scene where he tells Hannah that she's the brave one and Dr. Milton was the coward for leaving her there alone is one of the best scenes.

February 14 2006 at 2:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RussTC3

Great review. This episode was just unbelievable. Simple as that.

The final scenes where Meredith hands the bomb to the bomb squad dude, Derek saves Baily's husbands life and Baily delivers a baby and then the explosion were just amazing. And it all worked perfectly with the excellent choice of music.

Easily my favorite episode of the series and I agree, one of the most exciting hours of television I've ever seen. It'll be hard for Grey's Anatomy, or any other show for that matter, to top this episode.

Can't wait for whats to come, even if it's not as good as these two episodes.

February 14 2006 at 12:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lindie

So glad you all talked about this show. i was exhausted and fell asleep before it came on!! Hope they show it again!

February 13 2006 at 10:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply