November 24, 2014

The Apprentice is all about diversity

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Feb 13th 2006 7:35PM

the apprentice logoIt appears that the fifth season of The Apprentice has something that previous seasons have lacked. International contestants! Well kind of... they all currently reside in America. Trump's new wannabes (there's a Canadian, a Russian, and a Brit) have all been successful in their previous ventures which include law, commodities trading, and consulting. We learned a few days ago that an Olympian will be voted in by TV viewers to join the sixth season's cast which I believe takes place in Los Angeles. You can see a full list of the contestants at the link below before the show premieres on Monday, February 27.

I'm not so sure all this is that big of a deal though. Does anyone think that a gimmick like this will actually bring a new dynamic to the show?

[via Zap2it]

msg

as pointed out by david on the apprentice 5 blog http://apprentice5.blogspot.com/2006/02/episode-1-recap-lee-steals-show.html

there was no tolerance for diversity (i.e. calling Lenny The Russianby the The Donald himself.)

March 02 2006 at 2:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Debby Jones

I wasn't at all thinking about black vs. white when I made the comment that Randall was selfish. Didn't even cross my mind.... and winning something you deserve is great! But I believe that they both deserved to win and obviously so did "the Donald", otherwise he wouldn't have asked.

Funny how the one person that jumped to the conclusion that the comment was racial based was the only one to really even think about it or at least mention it. Randall being black doens't bother me at all and I was a Randall fan right up until the last couple of minutes of the show.

February 16 2006 at 5:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ella Rydzewski

I hope this creative program keeps going--I liked Martha's as well. Apprentice is one of the few TV programs my husband and I watch. I learned some things from it, but some of the behavior (perhaps encouraged) made me wonder about the world of big business.

February 16 2006 at 9:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ellen

I'd like to answer Michelle for Donald Trump-aren't we all foreigners (unless you're a Native Amreican of course). And who's preventing all these young people from going there and trying to be a part of it? And why again Donald Trump has to help them? America-American TV????????

February 16 2006 at 9:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donald Drake

What is America still afraid of?

Some of you people are so silly. Still mad because Randall won the position. Although I was never a Randall fan, he's my hero because he had the confidence and the self respect to not degrade the show and his hard work.

Should the Steelers share their Super Bowl victory, are they selfish because they won...? Then why should Randall. Don't worry, we are not taking over and there is no revolt planned.

I know in their subconscious, people both black and white feel he should be a "good nig.." and smile, shuffle and jive, grin and dance and prove that he's a nice guy who causes no trouble, and does what he expected to do... BUT those days are over. It hasn't been illegal to be black in 35 years; let him have his temporary 40 acres.

It's not selfish to win something you deserve. And the guy is smart, thoughtful and will do a great job. Stop Hating on Randall. It's okay for us to win now and then. I know what you are thinking, I and others are making this a race issue... It is!

When the best qualified person wins; and people get mad; and race is the only factor that separates his victory from anyone others."

Furthermore, as much as I will always be a Trump fan, he should be ashamed of even asking. Why didn't he ask anyone else to share the Apprentice job???

Come to our Apprentice Party and Business Mixer at the end of the season in Orange County. BLACKnOC.com

February 16 2006 at 9:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeremy

They need to do something to keep the show interesting. The last season was too much of the "same-ol-same-ol". Many of the tasks were even the same as in previous seasons.
I predict this will be the LAST apprentice - I'm not interested anymore.

February 16 2006 at 8:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
michelle

America- American TV. All American born and raised should be given the chance. Doesn't Trump have any loyality to help our young people first? Don't the foreigner have enough of our jobs here already?

February 16 2006 at 8:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Debby Jones

I was so disappointed in the way Randall acted when asked if Rebecca should be hired, too. It changed the way I looked at him through the whole show. He turned out to be a typical prima dona and I ended up not liking him and wishing Rebecca would have won hands down. At least with the others, what you saw is what you got. Randall hid his pompous selfish side through the whole show. I felt deceived....

February 16 2006 at 8:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lorraine

Mr. Trump......
Stand up and show the world who is boss.
Stand up and show the world that you don't always
have to follow the rules,
Stand up and show the world their are EXCEPTIONS...
HIRE REBECCA. IT IS YOUR COMPANY. OR IS RANDALL THE NEW BOSS...uhmmm what a scarey thought.

February 16 2006 at 8:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jojo

The Apprentice is all about 'firing' and employer control. It presents the negative side of employee relations and gives real employers incentive to get a charge out of firing their employees. As usual, The Donald gets a kick out of seeing the little people squirm but doesn't realize the fallout from his show. Valuable employees with a lot of time and effort invested in their jobs are being "fired" as part of this exciting fad. It's the downside of the work environment and it's the downside of the Donald.

February 16 2006 at 8:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply