October 30, 2014

Arrested Development: The Finale

by Ryan j Budke, posted Feb 14th 2006 10:15AM
the bluths; george michael; arrested developmentHere's the deal, if you missed the finale of Arrested Development Friday on FOX, well, you just aren't a true fan. Not only that, but you missed probably two of the finest hours of TV comedy that have ever aired. I'm not sure that there was a plotline that didn't get some kind of mention or wrap-up. Hilarious, funny, crazy, witty, comical, side-splitting, and uproarious are all terms I, and many many others, have used to describe Arrested Development in the past, but there was one word that wasn't mentioned enough: perfection. Arrested Development was treated like garbage by FOX. People can say what they want about FOX giving it more time than most shows to "find its audience," but that's bull and we all know it. Unless it's an immediate hit (with immediate gratification) networks just don't care about anything anymore (ABC's handling of Emily's Reasons Why Not was criminal), and FOX jumped AD all over the place, putting it on hiatus left and right, advertising showings that then disappeared, or just flat-out not advertising it at all. On with the show!

I'm not going to do a typical review. There are summaries all over the web and I figure if you really wanted to watch the episodes, you would have found a way. I'll do a quick rundown, though. Franklin, the loose seal, Ann Young and Annia all make comebacks. The Bluths go on mock trial, but it doesn't mean much. Michaels finds out he may have an older sister named Nelly, but it turns out she's just a prostitute. Nope, turns out Lindsay is Nelly and she's had a crush on Michael all these years. George is cleared of all treason charges, but not the others, so they have a party to officially announce Michael as the CEO, which brings us right back to where we started 3 years ago. Except this time, George and George Michael have decided to run for it.

I remember seeing the previews for this show and thinking "This looks like it could be interesting," and after one episode, I was hooked. For me, every other comedy that comes along is going to be compared to it. As I said earlier, this was perfection. There were enough jokes in every episode that the casual viewer could watch it and love it, and yet, it showed a whole other side and layer of jokes for those who had stuck around with it from the beginning. There are other comedies out there that I love and think are great (Curb Your Enthusiasm, How I Met Your Mother, Two and a Half Men), but for me now, I've seen the best, and nothing will compare. Since Friday, I've been asked time after time if I know whether there's going to be a movie; I don't, and I think we would have heard something about it by now if there were going to be. Hopefully we'll get something from the show within the next couple of weeks, so say some prayers, send some good thoughts, rub Buddha's belly, sacrifice a.... never mind; don't sacrifice anything, just do what you do and maybe, just maybe, we'll see what happens to the Bluth family after that fateful day.

I promised you guys something a little different with this review so here it is: we're going to start giving back to you guys--the readers--for making our work so enjoyable, by showcasing some of the best quotes of the night in the chatrooms. So without further adieu the best quotes of the night:

Trumpetplaayer87: ha, mock trial a mockery
Chus Your Daddy: this is the only show that laugh out loud to, even when I'm all by my lonesome.
ArtemisBear: that's what happens with people who have real friends.  they miss their beloved william hung.
KLopez704: Portia De Rossi is pretty but i don't think she would be my type if i swang that way
Chus Your Daddy: why advertise any new fox comedy during AD's finale, AD fans will just hate it automatically.
Chus Your Daddy: man, I wish Ron Howard narrated my life
TV107: i never realized until season 3 that "on the next arrested development" was not coming episodes
TV107: fox sucks....they cancelled REUNION the best show ever
Referring to The War At Home eliothackaday: you know, that show you mute between Simpsons and Family Guy
Trumpetplaayer87: is that gary cole?
aurexminus: Lumberg!
Chilijohn4981: let's hope they send the show off with gob doing the chicken dance somehow.
eliothackaday: breakfast! full circle
Chus Your Daddy: man, it's a shame that this is the first... sniff... and maybe the last TV squad AD chat.
panache1971: "George Bush does not care about black puppets." Im still laughing
BleedingElbow84: oh on, anne
eliothackaday: holy god
RaincoatsAreLove: mental fuses... blowing
Chus Your Daddy: hot seaman.
Chilijohn4981: lindsey is nellie
RaincoatsAreLove: this was too good to be depressing
TVSRyan: thanks everyone for joining
TVSRyan: you know the drill guys
TVSRyan: you don't have to go home, but you can't stay here

Kaufies

Sadly, I discovered this show after it was canceled! I have the dvds and watch them too often. It's true that once you've experienced Arrested Development, it's hard to go back to enjoying 'regular' sitcoms! 30 Rock and Scrubs are good but nothing compares to AD!! I'll be satisfied with a movie half as good as the show- it'll be better than anything else on TV at the moment!!!

May 17 2009 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt Gio

I think it reigns true. Only stupid people watch tv. This was the greatest show on television and it was canceled. People say, I don't get the jokes. Well now the joke's on you in 2009 when our true Arrested Development Fans finally get the payback we deserve. ON THE BIG SCREEN!

December 09 2008 at 9:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jay Andrew Covert

Regarding the comments about Fox treating AD like garbage: I could NOT agree w/you more on that call..A prime example is what happened to Family Guy.....Fox pushed it to all different nites so no one could find it & eventually it was dropped. FORTUNATELY, Adult Swim (on Cartoon Network) picked it up & ran with it showing what a success FG truly is!....And guess what? Fox came in w/their tail between their legs and begged to have FG come back. Why? Because the DVD sales for FG went right thru the roof that summer.
Now, if we can only convince Cartoon Network to do the same with Arrested Development...I know, I know...it aint a cartoon...But theyve been showing orig episodes of "Saved By The Bell" on cartoon ntwk...and what I would give to have them replace THAT with AD.....

Just my 2 cents
Jay

May 03 2006 at 1:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Byron Karmopolis

I like the imnoscar website, but I think it shows Fox's laziness that the Arabic they used on the website was gibberish. Even on throwaway scenes in South Park and the like, it's been more accurate. It makes me cringe when I see stuff like this, almost as much as when I hear people (who should know better) butcher the pronunciation of "al kay-duh/al kie-duh".

February 20 2006 at 5:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

"You forgot to say 'away' again."

This show will be missed.

February 15 2006 at 11:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CBXweb

I recorded AD because I knew it was an important moment in modern television history, and I had work. Its amazing how the last two hours came on a Friday and also during the opening ceremony, amazing indeed.

February 15 2006 at 2:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
noalarms

Do any of you know how lucky we are/were? We almost had 3 seasons of the best television entertainment since tv's were invented. The only thing that comes close for me would be The simpsons and X-files. Lets for one minute forget it was even a television show. That was 26.5 (give or take whatever for commercials ) hours of the best most clever comedy ever created. There is so much going on in just one of these episodes too keep you interested for weeks. Jokes were started in the first season and didn't finish until the 3rd season! Who puts that kind of effort into writing? I hope to god it's not over. Networks should be fighting, clawing, and throwing money at these guys to get the rights to this show. If I was a network here's what my deal would be. I know they have the money for this stuff. Hey Mitch, you let me know when you don't want to make the show anymore.

I have go take some photos. later

February 15 2006 at 12:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C R

Hey, JimK:

It's always nice to hear from another ADdict, but WHERE THE HELL WERE YOU THREE YEARS AGO?!?!

Welcome to the club.

February 14 2006 at 9:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JimK

I started watching this show only three weeks ago. I watch 14 in a row the first day, a few more to finish the season, then a week alter watched all of season 2 and the first 9 of season 3 in a marathon.

Why?

BECAUSE I COULDN'T STOP. I COULDN'T FRIGGING STOP WATCHING.

Then I watched them all again when I introduced my wife to the show. Know what?

I wanna do it again. All 53. Right now.

February 14 2006 at 5:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin B

The references to "Skating with Celebrities" was hillarious. Did you notice the huge sign behind Maebe when she went to the studio?

February 14 2006 at 1:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply