September 19, 2014

Big surprise: Ratings for Arrested finale were crap

by Joel Keller, posted Feb 15th 2006 3:53PM
Arrested Development finale's ratings
were crapIt might be time to just nail shut Arrested Development's coffin and bury the sucker.

It pains me to write that, but I just get the feeling that, given all the talk that Friday's episodes were considered the "series finale" instead of the "season finale", that we might just want to let the show go for good.

Once again, the viewing public seems to agree, as the AD mini-marathon attracted only 3.3 million viewers, a little more than half its season average of 6.5 million. And, according to this article by Joal Ryan of E! Online, Mitchell Hurwitz has told Ryan's colleague Kristin Veitch that he is "hesitant" about continuing, despite the offers he's considering from ABC and Showtime.

3.3 million isn't a lot of people, folks (although it would be the highest-rated cable show, ironically enough).  It didn't help, of course, that the last four episodes of Arrested Development were shown against the opening ceremonies of the Turin Olympics. And Friday nights aren't exactly big ratings nights; heck, I taped the shows because I was out that night myself. So AD goes out with a bit of a whimper. Let's just be glad we got 2.5 seasons of high quality comedy and turn our sights somewhere else, shall we?

Byron Karmopolis

It makes me wonder if AD could have pulled an Office if it were available on iTunes. But Allah forbid that Fox do something that generous. And now that the ratings have been out for some time, Allah also forbid that Fox make the ultimate decision. What the fudgesicle are they waiting for?! Shirley they had intended to cancel it anyway.

February 20 2006 at 9:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chadly

I have to say, I never understood all the hubbub about this show. It's not that I didn't "get" the humor or understand the jokes. I did. But it felt very clinical and just...unfunny to me. I always thought that it was the kind of show that you would get if you programmed a robot to make the kind of smart, funny show everyone is saying it is.

Sorry for you fans out there, and I hope for your sake that it does get picked up on cable. If it makes you feel any better, the situation does remind me of what happened with Family Guy. So maybe you'll see a resurrection.

February 16 2006 at 4:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fuze

I love the show and i hope it ends up on Showtime.
Please stay Mitch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 16 2006 at 11:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

Am I the ONLY AD fan who threw a party Friday night to celebrate the last four episodes of the season?! Come on, we are all on a TV Blog, we are not that cool that we all had hot dates Friday night.

That being said, everyone who is complaining about ratings is correct. Neilson ratings are completely out of date. If nothing else TIVO should release all the data they are collecting about us as their own ratings system. I'm paying $10 a month, help a brother out!

February 16 2006 at 1:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TheMovieGoer

Remember that old show SOAP starring Billy Crystal etc?

Arrested Development was just like it.

It failed because it started slow and was too complexw and gain an audience.

It will succeed on cable.

February 16 2006 at 12:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
imarkG5

AD is 1 of 3 shows I even bother turning on the TV for, (the others are Earl & Office) other than that I dont watch TV. Sadly I may only have 2 shows to watch now. I totally agree with the whlole "Fox shooting themselves in the foot" thing. I mean they do 4 weeks of new episodes. Then basball for nearly 2 months. a few new episodes, then it disapears for some reason. 1 new episode, they again its nowhere to be seen. BAM, heres the last 4. see ya.
Umm way to support the money you spent. Way to actually try to build an audience, instead of moan about no one watching. No one watching?! Like anyone who didnt follow it like religion knew it was on.
I think it would be cooler if it was an iTunes show or something. 3.3million at 2 bucks a show is still 6.6 million an episode, when one episode can be made for less than 2mil. Do the math people.

February 15 2006 at 8:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rachel

I almost feel BAD that I went out that night, and set my DVR. I bet a lot of people did. Sure, not 35 million or anything, but I bet many of the fans... the episodes were awesome.

Thankfully, I read, otherwise I wouldn't have known they were on. Didn't see one commercial and it wasn't even on the Fox AD Web site. I understand that it's not a ratings giant, but Fox really acts like they just don't care. Then why not end it already so maybe someone else can pick it up?

I hope Hurwitz doesn't give up yet --- I'm not ready!

February 15 2006 at 7:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

Are you kidding me? How can anyone get down on 3.3 Million people watching this show when it was aired in the worst possible time slot of the week?

I myself am a die-hard AD fan, and even I didn't watch it live. It was on my DV-R for Saturday afternoon when I watched it all commercial free.

The ratings system is flawed and is not an accurate enough count on how many people TRULY watched the show.

Got on any torrent site and you'll see there are thousands of people always downloading the shows, so to believe that only 3.3 Million People cared enough about the finale is a little hard for me to believe.

February 15 2006 at 6:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katie

Does anyone know the specifics of the so-called offers from Showtime and ABC? Maybe I will eat my words, but I'm not giving up so easily, especially if Showtime is at all serious. Consider the fact that one of my beloved favorites, The Office, isn't exactly getting a weekly slam dunk in the Nielsens, but that it is always in the top 5, heck, the top 3, of the most downloaded shows on the iTunes downloads in the TV area, right next to Lost.
Just today, Showtime's "Weeds" is actually number 5. Imagine that!? Out of the hundreds of episodes, shows, and sketches available, Weeds is right beneath the Lost, the Office, and Desperate Housewives, despite not having nearly the audience or attention that the afformentioned shows receive. The point I'm making is that is Showtime or ABC does pick up AD, then it would likely be made available on iTunes. Just a thought

February 15 2006 at 5:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dominic a

Fox knew before it even accounced that it would play again the Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony!!! They just wanted to prove to themselves that nobody watches the show. Well peps would have watched if they told anybody and put it on the correct night(sunday after the simpsons) FU FOX The only thing i watch on the network now is family guy and i hate that i have to do that.

February 15 2006 at 4:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply