September 1, 2014

What are college students watching on television?

by Anna Johns, posted Feb 15th 2006 8:51AM
south park neilsenNeilsen Media Research is finally going to answer that question, now that it has decided to include college students in its ratings research. Starting next year, it will include dorm-bound and apartment-dwelling college students in its national sample of viewers. This could increase the coveted 18-24 viewership numbers from 3 to 12 percent. Neilsen estimates that college students who don't live at home with mom and dad watch 24 hours of television each week.

What did/do you watch during college? I actually didn't watch much television during college. All I remember watching is Conan O'Brien and South Park, which began in my junior year.

RR Morgan

If college kids have time to watch TV regularly, they're not studying enough.

February 17 2006 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kat

Let's get straight to it, the best shows are:
Anything on adult swim, especially Inuyasha, Full Metal & The Boondocks (minus 12oz mouse & perfect Hair forever)
Desperate Houswives & Grey's Anatomy
Everybody Hates Chris
Top Model, American Idol & Project Runway
The Simpsons, Family Guy & Futurama
SpongeBob Squarepants
Wild & Out & The Gauntlet
And various other MTV programs & cartoons
Every college student can find atleast one favorite in my list. My DVR makes it so that my busy college schedule wont be the cause of me missing any of these.

February 17 2006 at 1:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andy

I went to a big university and lived in a Frat house for all 4 years. We always had the big screen on in the lobby and it rarely ever moved from comedy central. In our rooms, (the school payed for our cable)we balanced our viewing between MTV, VH1, Cartoon Net(Adult Swim), and sports. I would say CC in the day and Adult Swim at night were the most watched in our house and probably on the campus.

I think it is crazy to look over the ratings from college viewers. Some of my frat brothers and I had never even heard of some of Neilson's highest rated shows. It seems companies would rather spend their money advertising on family or housewives oriented shows than on college oriented shows. Of course, college kids don't make the type of income that families make, but I can stand for every frat guy in America in saying we spend every dime we do have on buying beer, electronics, and utter crap.

February 17 2006 at 1:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ashley

I live in a freshman dorm this year, and the shows we watch are all over the map. There is a group - all guys - who watch "24" every week... the girls (well, about half of them, not me) never miss the O.C. and Leguna Beach during their respective seasons. Law and Order SVU is popular, as are One Tree Hill, Family Guy, and That 70's Show. Reruns of Friends and Sex and the City are also on a lot. I personally watch a lot more of the crime dramas.. Criminal Minds, Bones.. and House.

February 17 2006 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ashley

February 17 2006 at 12:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

TV was always on at my place, someone was always home but for what i can remember comedy central/adult swim was always on late nite..... we turned into news junkies for a long while, seeing how headline news always repeated itself we were bound to catch the stories during a brief sober moment so that was on alot too.... Isn't the president even more hilarious when ur high?

February 17 2006 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
melinda

Im in college right know what I watch with the other girls on my floor the most are Veronica Mars , Family Guy, Gilmore Girls, Friends, Will and Grace, Everbody Hates Chris, ER, Greys Anatomy, Americas Next Top Model, The L word, Sex and the City, Cuts and Girlfriends. We do study though it may not look like it.

February 17 2006 at 11:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kerri

Scifi was the thing in my college years (and still is). I would tune into The X-Files and the occasional Buffy and drag my friends along with me. In turn, sometimes I would get dragged into the here and there Ally McBeal. However, The Simpsons and Futurama were staples in my dorm and that just couldn't be beat.

February 17 2006 at 11:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dev

waaay back in the 80's, it was general hospital, and letterman. there wasn't tv much time after classes and whatnot.

February 17 2006 at 11:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply