October 2, 2014

Invasion: The Nest

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Feb 16th 2006 9:06PM

InvasionIt's still doing it! Gets better every week! Remember how the last episode ended, with Kira taking an evening stroll into the swamp water? Well she chickened out. Never went for that swim, but this episode opened with her continued desire to find out what happens when you go in the water. Oooh, oooh, pick me! I want to be an alien!

Tom is still giving Kira a hard time and she even asks the one-armed man (ehh... I mean Louis) to check out the water with her but he declines. After all, Tom did say stay away from my daughter or I'll make you cut your other arm off. Well not really... but I assume that's what he'd do. Kira goes swimming anyway. But she didn't see "the lights." Instead she bumped into Derek and Christina - fresh from their escape of Tom's "confused alien youth boot camp."

So Kira has officially fallen in with the wrong crowd. They rob clothing stores. They break into the house of Christina's old boss and when the guy shows up, she guts him with a kitchen knife. Kira is terrified and Derek is disturbed too. But he defends Christina... probably because she's the only alien tail he can get right now.

Meanwhile, Russel runs some tests on Mariel. He draws blood and all the indicators suggest that she's very sick. But Mariel feels fine... except for all that painful pressure in her stomach. Nothing doing there so the two of them go to the hospital and Mariel gets an MRI. The results make it look like she has a gigantic tumor in her stomach. But when Russel biopsies it (I love that Russel, a park ranger, is proficient at performing all medical procedures be it on crocodile or ex-wife) and examines the goop that comes out, he and Mariel realize that her stomach is chock full of tiny little eggs. That tumor? Giant alien ovary.

Back with the cool kids, Derek and Christina take Kira to the beach. They were going to force Kira into the water... but she runs in on her own accord and "the lights" get her. She's dragged out and about this time Tom and Louis show up. Tom strangles Christina and Louis finds Kira washed up on the beach, covered in those circular, bloody alien wounds. Looks like she'll live, but... well, who knows? My theory? She embraces the alien lifestyle (can I call it that?) and gives Tom a run for his money as the ringleader. We'll have to wait until after the Olympics to find out, but I think we're going to see Kira take a turn for the worse and become an alien bad-ass.

Jordan

what is going on? its March 2nd, another wednesday went by without my favorite TV show and im getting worried. I havent seen anything that says it got the axe but does any1 know its situation?

March 02 2006 at 8:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
michelle

I love this show. I am a huge Lost fan, but I seem to look forward to Invasion more. I have only found a few girls in my office that are into the show as much as I am. They have to keep it on the air !

February 23 2006 at 12:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TWM

I'll add my voice to the "I like this show a lot" chorus.

My only criticism is that the acting is pretty uneven. I think William Fichtner (Sheriff Tom) and Kari Matchett (Dr. Mariel) are great, with the rest of the cast kind of average. Too many scenes with annoying teenage characters.

February 17 2006 at 3:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ian

Perhaps Kira will now become the focus of a "cure" to the Alien attacks.
Also how come everyone lives amidst the "jugles" of Florida coastline and there is not a mmosquito to be seen? Do the aliens eat mossies too?

February 17 2006 at 10:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sikat

I think that the creatures work like a virus. They replicate the host inserting their DNA. Then they replicate (Alien egg) and then they "burst open". The question is does it only affect females and drives the mens insane? If two infectees mate and have a child (Christina+Derek) Does that create a new breed? A further augmented "alien"? Also Derek was behaving very animal like. Could it be that once the replication begins they become very dominant and start fighting for territory, killing each other? Hmmm questions questions question... hopefully we wont have to wait o long for the answers!

February 17 2006 at 7:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deidre Woollard

I am curious about what is going on with Christina's stomach. Does she have the alien ovary too and is she getting ready to drop a litter or is she about to transform into some other thing? I am hoping Kira didn't get alienized quite yet I think there still have to be a few normals around for contrast.

I love this show. It bums me out that more people aren't into it and the dreaded cancellation spectre looms.

February 17 2006 at 12:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

I look forward to Invasion each week almost as much as Lost. Sure the plot doesn't always crash along, but there is a definite arc which I enjoy. Hopefully it won't be a one-season-wonder.

I'm really curious what it is about Kira that make Tom know the alien-conversion would reject her. I bet we'll find out next week, since they're doing a good job of revealing just enough each week now.

February 17 2006 at 12:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Logan

I have to agree with Tucker; Kira was "given back" too quickly to be changed. It's not to say there won't be an alien double, but she's still human.

February 17 2006 at 12:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ian

Well I think we will have two Kira's. Will the actress get double pay I ask?
1) Kira original recovering from "bites"
2) Kira the BA Clone.
Meantime back at the egg nest are we about to get a large increase in the family?;)

February 16 2006 at 11:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tucker

Well, Jonathan, another good summary. I think we're about the only two around these parts who like this show, but whatever. I do have a little problem with your theory, though.

I think Kira was "spit out," so to speak. Tom says repeatedly during the episode "you can't," "she can't," etc. At one point I believe he even says "I wish she could, but she just can't." I don't think he's lying.

My money is on Kira being sick in some way. Maybe she's got some illness we haven't really seen, maybe it's something genetic that will develop, whatever. The point is, recall earlier Healey (is that his name?) said they don't take sick people. I think that lines up really well with Tom's "she can't become one of us" statements. I'd bet Kira is going to be a bit shaken up and might have to spend some time in the hospital, but she's not going to become one of "them."

Awesome episode, though... Shame it's probably not going to be renewed.

February 16 2006 at 9:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply