November 28, 2014

Kevin Smith wants to join his buddy Jason Lee on Earl

by Joel Keller, posted Feb 16th 2006 6:04PM
Kevin Smith and Jason Lee - Reuters
PhotoEven though Kevin Smith gave Jason Lee his start in show business, he still seems to be awfully giddy at his buddy's success. According to this Zap2It article, he's so happy for Lee that he is jonesing to work on Lee's hit show My Name Is Earl, but not as a director.

"I want to be like Earl's fat, retarded cousin," Smith told the crowd at a San Francisco Q&A gathering. "That would be kind of hot."

Smith goes on to describe how juiced up he gets when he sees people he knows on TV, despite the fact that either he has started their careers (Lee, Ben Affleck) or the fact that the person wouldn't ever hold a Hollywood job without him (Jason Mewes).

I guess it's that sense of fanboy-ness that keeps him deeply rooted in his New Jersey outsider role, despite the fact that he's been living in L.A. for years now. Now I just wished he'd make a non-Clerks-universe movie that was actually good.

[via TV Tattle]

Porchland

Makes Kevin Smith come off kind of desperate/pathetic looking.

February 17 2006 at 10:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Batton Lash

Credit where credit is due: The "San Francisco Q&A gathering" where Kevin Smith was discussing Jason Lee and "My Name is Earl" was WonderCon, a pop culture show presented last weekend under the auspices of San Diego Comic Con International (I mention this out of fairness, because I was an exhibitor at that show and was singing the praises of TV Squad all weekend!).

February 17 2006 at 2:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Don Wilson

I thought they already had a fat, retarded guy on there?

February 16 2006 at 8:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joejoe

There's only one reason why I watch that show and it's because the chick from Joe Dirt is on it and she is extremely hot.

February 16 2006 at 8:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan H

I love Kevin Smith's stuff. His writing is superb and I agree that his comics are rock solid.

After watching his vodcast and seeing many behind the scenes features on his DVDS, you get the impression that he is just 'one of the guys'. I would love to see more of his work including a cameo on Earl.

February 16 2006 at 7:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mamaloo

Can the storyline have Lee, Smith and me in a love triangle? Earl could perhaps recall the time he stole me away from Smith and then attempts to put us back together for good kharma?

Please?

February 16 2006 at 7:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anthony

Smith's only non view-askew stuff that is good, i mean yeah he only made jersey girl so far, but his comic book work is stellar...except for spider-man. that mini was trash.

February 16 2006 at 6:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply