August 28, 2014

The Five: Great characters, bad shows

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 16th 2006 1:10PM

A Man Called HawkBack in January I gave my list of Great Shows, Bad Characters. And now it's time to reverse that and name five great characters trapped in bad TV shows.

1. Hawk (A Man Called Hawk): Not only is Hawk (from Spenser: For Hire) one of the great characters of 80s television, he's one of the great characters of television history. And Avery Brooks...what a perfect actor for the role. No one else could have played Robert B. Parker's character like Brooks (see the later Spenser flicks for proof of that). But then they gave him his own show, moving him to D.C., and he started playing the piano and getting all mushy. Eh. Great character, bad show.

2. Blanche, Rose, and Sophia (The Golden Palace): Three great characters from The Golden Girls decide to open up a hotel in Miami when Dorothy gets married and moves away. Blanche, Rose, and Sophia open a hotel? That never made any sense to me.

3. Dr. Smith (Lost In Space): What a weird show, and what a weird character. Conniving, cowardly, over the top, and a little evil, Smith was the ultimate creep. Jonathan Harris did a great job with such an outlandish character in an outlandish premise. I never knew why the family always tried to save him. I would have let him get killed by monsters or giant carrots or whatever the Robinsons were fighting that week.

4. Joey Tribbiani (Joey): No explanation necessary.

5. Jack Stiles (Jack Of All Trades): I had high hopes for this show, because Bruce Campbell was the star. But...wow, what a dud this was.

Amber

Wasn't Fraiser a spin off of Cheers??? =)

I have to agree about the sister. I guess the supporting characters on Joey really just didn't pull you in. They weren't loveable. I never really got into Joey. It just wasn't the same without all the other Friends characters. I think that has a lot to do with it too. People were expecting too much and this show just didn't give it to us.

February 20 2006 at 2:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Janelle

"Joey" was a funny show, but it was always lacking something. On "Friends" at least the character had others to work off of. On this show there wasn't all that many and I couldn't relate to them. It felt as if I was watching a show and I wasn't being sucked into it at all. The writing was hilarious and most of the characters were great except the sister and the agent. I never got back around to watching it after the winter hiatus cuz after "Friends" left I never watched NBC anymore and didn't know wen new episodes were back on. It seemed that every time that I went to watch it, it was one that I had already seen.
I desperatly wanted this show to work out for Matt LeBlanc and am really very sad that it didn't. I hope he can go onto bigger and better things now and not just be caught under the shadow of the great character of Joey.

February 20 2006 at 2:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Camille

I just love the hell out of Joey and I feel it should never have been canceled. Cancel some of those reality shows. I think they stink and are so phony. They put the tape together to see what they want you to see and they don't tell a true story. Joey (Matt) you're the best.

February 20 2006 at 1:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

And don't forget Frasier, another excellent & successful spinoff.

February 20 2006 at 12:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LL

They can't bring back anyone else: Matthew Perry is married to Monica, and so they would have to bring back her...Lisa Kudrow is married to "Crap Bag" (haha :-D)...and well, of course, Ross & Rachel...so he was the only option. They blew it, basically.

February 20 2006 at 12:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Travis

Joey was a great show and it keept getting funnier as it progressed the last show that aired the christmas one was so funny i watched it over and over i really wanted to see one of the old friends characters come back on the show.

February 20 2006 at 12:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kim

I love the show "Joey". Although, I went to a taping once and hated the M.C., he totally sucked. The show was getting REALLY, REALLY good! I for one think it is a big mistake taking too many greats off all at once.

February 19 2006 at 11:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kim

February 19 2006 at 11:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rachel Hauck

I'm with the Joey fans. Bring back Joey. I thought this year with the expanded cast they were off to a great start.

But here are a few suggestions:

1. Make Gina and his agent nicer and way less slutty. They'd both be dead from STDs in real life.

2. Make Joey grow up emotionally. He's not the 20-something horn-dog of NYC and friends. He would be mature, appealing and funny if he could go through the pain of a committed relationship. He two would be suffering from STDs by now.

Otherwise, the writing and Matt LeBlanc were good!

ALSO, biggest spin off of all time: Frazier.

:) Peace

February 19 2006 at 11:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Uriel

Some of these shows where really bad, but the characters where great! I do want to point out that there have been recent (Well maybe not so recent) spin offs from Tv series that have worked. the Only one that comes to my mind and is a personal favorite is "Angel" from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"!

February 19 2006 at 10:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply