October 30, 2014

Why would anyone want to work at Dunder-Mifflin?

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 16th 2006 10:01AM

The OfficeI cringe every time I watch The Office. I want to intervene into the lives of these people. Go right into their office, or at least e-mail them (if Michael isn't monitoring the e-mails they get) and implore them to leave that awful company at once. It seems to me that none of these people could possibly get paid a lot of money, so what makes them stay there? The wonderful atmosphere (ugh)? The fun coworkers (not really)? The great boss (ahem)? It's almost the ultimate example of the lame, tedious, soul-sucking office you hear so much about. I've worked in a couple of offices like that, and it was the worst time of my life.

Michael is one thing. He gets paid well and seems to be on some blind corporate career track (though I think that even he would improve as a person if he left the company). But it's the other characters, like Jim and Pam, who I worry about. They should be working some place else before they wake up 5 years from now in the same crappy job.

Dwight, however...I don't know what could help him.

STP

They work there because the concept of the show is a bunch of completely unique (and sometimes strange) characters working in a dull office setting. It isn't rocket science, it's just the setting of the show and in my opinion the thing that makes it so hilarious. Anyone who has ever worked in an office can relate to at least one of the characters in the show...and that is what makes the office the best comedy on T.V. today.

March 09 2006 at 6:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
K R Polly

As for the tv show Office, this is one really boring unfunny show.It is my thought that this and the worst show on tv, standing still, should be permanently taken off the air never to return.

February 19 2006 at 3:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mattjh

I'd work there just for Pam.

I have had far worse co-workers than this bunch and a much worse boss than Michael Scott. Michael is an idiot but at least he's easy going. Much of the time it's the others who want to get on with their work whilst Michael is clowning around. And again, there's Pam to brighten up the day.

February 16 2006 at 1:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave Caolo

Chris: As someone who grew in in Scranton, I have to agree: There aren't a whole lot of spectacular employment opportunities.

February 16 2006 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kate

Welcome to real life. The Office is pretty much exactly like my job - except funnier. We play pranks and have Office Olympics (chair spinning being my personal favorite) to pass the time. It's a "run out the clock" situation.

February 16 2006 at 12:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael D.

I think a flashback/prequel episode could be funny, but it can't happen. The format of the show with its reality/documentary style would not allow for such an idea. I guess the only way we'll ever see the Dunder-Mifflin of days gone by is through shots of old newsletters (i.e. 80s party, Michael's mullet).

February 16 2006 at 11:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ed

From the episode where he buys a condo, Michael doesn't seem to make that much money.

February 16 2006 at 11:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TW

#8 is right. I've worked in many different offices and expecting to get better but no. They're all the same, the same freaking boss, the same boring environment... WE ARE ALL IN HELL!

February 16 2006 at 11:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doc

Jim is a salesman. If he is working on commission he could be making a good salary, assuming he has some big clients.

Rich, I think we have been given a glimpse of the place before Michael took over in the stinky carpet episode. Michael met with the guy that had his job before him, and it didn't sound like it was much better. I think a flashback episode that shows a younger Michael working at Jim's desk has potential though.

February 16 2006 at 11:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gwangi

I have personally worked with a (Dwight) and a (Michael) at one of my jobs. And everytime I watch The Office I think of these people and I laugh.

February 16 2006 at 11:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply