American Idol finalist has an album... and it's good!

by Anna Johns, posted Feb 17th 2006 8:27AM
taylor hicks albumCheck this out. Taylor Hicks, the grey-haired singer who is my favorite contestant so far this season on American Idol, released a CD earlier this month. It's not in wide circulation. In fact, I don't think he even has a recording deal of any kind, it appears he just made the album on his own. It's called Under the Radar. Heh. Not any more, pal.

The NPR station in Homewood, Alabama has downloads of three of his original songs and also an interview with Taylor that includes some of his music. It's all pretty terrific, actually. Since it's a mixture of Blues and Soul music, now I'm a little concerned about how well Taylor is going to do on disco night.

*A lot of you have asked how to buy the album. Go here. (beware: the website is super slow because so many people want the album!) I am trying to verify the phone number listed in comments but so far I'm only getting a busy signal.

[Via Pop Candy]

Joseph J. Petrucelli

Just a little tidbit of current information for all the dedicated Soul Patrol fans out there : Not only are Taylor's second self-published albums selling like ice-pops on a hot Alabama day ( because they're still obtainable ), On E Bay today, his very first ( extremely low-produced ) self-published CD " In your Time " , sold for : $ 265.00 !!! - keep up the good work, Taylor.........

March 03 2006 at 11:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joseph J. Petrucelli

Taylor is truly an amazing artist for those of us who truly appreciate and love his type of music. I believe he is a snake-in-the-grass and just waiting to belt out an old classic from great artists such as : Ray Charles, Sam Cooke, Buddy Guy, etc. When and if he does, I predict his performance of this type will show us Randy and Paula standing up...

March 02 2006 at 11:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeanne

I just got done listening to the songs and immediately purchased the CD! Like a lot of others here, I liked Taylor from his very first AI audition. Hopefully the public will be open to some unique new talent. I know he'll be getting my votes! What a find!

February 21 2006 at 2:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ShellyeJo

Taylor has been my favorite since his audition. I really hope he makes it in this competition. I think the gray hair and that soulful voice are hot!

February 21 2006 at 2:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

I think Hicks is the perfect man for the job. I was within the age demographics (Taget age Group ) many viewers of AI are today, but only in the 1980's. Ever heard of "Huey Lewis and the News" Their song titled "I need a new drug". it was huge to my friends and I and we didn't even mind the fact that Huey and his band were 35+ in age. Hicks age shouldn't matter a whole lot. He's got the sound and that is what matters.
He's a winner! In closing I would like to add that the most requested song ever is "Satisfaction" by the Rolling Stones; to this day! Stand up and take notice of how old they are (60+ years old)
Simon; "I hope that you and I are on the same page!"

February 21 2006 at 2:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RalphT

The first time I heard Taylor Hicks I was in another room, so I couldn't see the T.V. I thought, "That guy sounds just like Joe Cocker"! Taylor has a unique voice, and a unique delivery. Who cares how old he is? I am after the music--not the age. I would buy his CD tomorrow. And I am 66! heh heh

February 21 2006 at 2:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fred

Taylor Hicks is pure talent. He is like a breath of fresh air and his singing is very rare. Talent like this does not come around very often. He is not the carbon copy teenie booper singer that comes and goes. He probably will not win the American Idol, but his career will be around long after others have come and gone. I am absolutely convinced that Taylor Hicks will be very famous. I feel very privileged to watch and listen to him perform. Thank you Taylor Hicks.

February 21 2006 at 1:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sheila

Taylor is awesome and different. My first impression was.......Joe Cocker......whom I loved. But he is more than that. He is his own new and unique sound which is sooooooooo refreshing.

February 21 2006 at 1:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa Ray

Taylor is on another level musically...unlike his competition. He's not afraid to go against the grain & his unique style reflects his musical maturity. He is pure soulfulness spilling out from every pore of his being. He may not add up to American Idol material...but when it comes to talent...he leaves the other competition in the dust.

February 21 2006 at 1:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CHristal

Lisa Tucker has cd's out as well and they are good... her Christmas CD is really good!

February 21 2006 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply