October 24, 2014

The Five: Early TV memories

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 17th 2006 5:19PM

Batman - Adam WestWe have our favorite and least favorite shows, shows we never miss, shows we've never seen. But what are your earliest TV memories? I don't just mean shows you liked as a kid, the actual first shows/events you can remember watching? Here are mine:

1. Cartoons: This is a no-brainer, of course. Scooby-Doo, Superman, etc. But the most important were the Warner Brothers cartoons. I think I learned how to live my life by watching Bugs Bunny.

2. Sesame Street: Like most people of my generation, I learned everything from a giant yellow bird and a grumpy puppet in a trash can.

3. Batman: I was a huge Batman freak when I was a kid, and my mom says I used to sit down in front of the TV set on the floor and watch the Adam West show and yell Batman!

4. Brady Bunch/Partridge Family: Yeah, so sue me. My sister and I used to watch these shows every Friday night, feasting on a giant bag of junk food we got from the corner market down the street.

5. The Banana Splits/Lost In Space: It's amazing what you'll like as a little kid. The Banana Splits was OK ("Danger Island"), but I think I knew Lost In Space was pretty stupid even at at young age.

tr

bob, you and rebecca totally read my mind. i have fond memories watching exactly what you guys watched. and i loved the Kroft superstars, the superfriends (of course), and for some reason, Tic Tac Dough, with wink martindale. it just seemed so cool and futuristic for me at the time, with the "tv's as game board" thing going on there.

"Uh-Oh! Chango!!!" :)

February 19 2006 at 12:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gnash

Battlestar Galactica & Buck Rogers - definately.

I always loved (and still do) love Gilligan's Island - one of the few shows I could watch again (and perhaps again). Cool concept - great cast. Loved the radioactive seeds episode.

All-time favorite though is Magnum PI. Vietnam war vet turned detective driving around Ferrari and living in mansion in Hawaii, gets all the girls? Frank Sinatra guest starring?

It was the film noir voice overs ala "I know what your thinking..." and that theme song that you just can't get out of your head...

February 18 2006 at 8:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan H

I remember a very vivid memory of watching one of the Circus with the Stars specials and vomitting at my grandmother's house. I remembered that it was the one with Alfonso Ribeiro [Carleton from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air] but as it turns out, he was in like 5 of them.

February 18 2006 at 2:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zenith

It'd have to be "Lassie." In living black and white. And "Mister Ed." And later, "I Dream of Jeannie." There was "College Bowl" and the Kennedy Funeral. And my little brother would always insist on watching "The Rifleman." Good grief, I'm ancient.

February 18 2006 at 12:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

I'm older than most of you guys, but for me it was westerns, lots and lots of westerns. I'm just old enough to remember Dennis Weaver on "Gunsmoke" before he quit the show and was eventually replaced by Ken Curtis (with a bit of Burt Reynolds in between). And of course there was "Leave It To Beaver", "Hazel" (with Shirley Booth) and "The Lucy Show".

February 18 2006 at 2:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
just some dude

Watergate. I could never understand why my great-grandfather would rather watch a bunch of old guys sitting around a table when Big Bird was on Sesame Street.

February 17 2006 at 10:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emily

Kookla, Fran and Ollie; The Hair Bear Bunch; HR Puffenstuff. These bring back fond memories.

February 17 2006 at 9:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Todd

I loved Friday nights with the Brady Bunch and then waking up early Saturday to at least 3 stations with great cartoons - not like today where only 2 local stations have cartoons. Also, I loved Electric Company and Easy Reader (aka Morgan Freeman). I wanted to be Easy Reader in the worst way!

February 17 2006 at 9:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rebecca

I'm *so* with you on the Partridge Family and Brady Bunch. I still want to form a rock band with my family and travel on a school bus painted up like a Mondrian painting!

Two other big tv memories for me-- all of the wonderful Hanna-Barbera tv shows-- H.R. Pufnstuff, Lidsville, the Bugaloos (my very favorite), Electrawoman and Dynagirl, and on and on. And the Rankin-Bass Christmas specials. My very favorite has always been The Year Without A Santa Claus, but I'll watch any of them any time still.

February 17 2006 at 7:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pudie

My childhood TVwatching will always be rememberd by live action Nickelodeon shows. Alex Mack, Hey Ducde, Salue Your Shorts, Are You Afraid of the Dark, Pete and PEte, etc. That and the classic TGIF with with Family Matters and Full House.

Good times.