August 23, 2014

Why aren't you watching the Olympics?

by Anna Johns, posted Feb 17th 2006 8:52AM
olympics snowboardThe Olympics is usually a ratings juggernaut for NBC, but not this year. Since the Winter Olympics began a week ago, the games have been clobbered by new episodes of Grey's Anatomy, American Idol and Lost. In fact, the ratings have dropped every night since Opening Ceremonies and Olympics viewership is down 36% since Salt Lake City in 2002.

Why is this happening? Personally, I've always been a big fan of the Olympics. But this time around, even I am pretty bored. NBC picks and chooses which American athletes to follow and they often don't live up to the hype. I also get frustrated with the coverage skipping from skating to snowboarding to skiing, and having to wait until 11 pm to see any sort of medal awarded. Another problem is the internet. By the time the events air on NBC primetime, I've already seen the results on various websites. I even heard results given out this afternoon on a local radio station. I have managed to watch all the snowboarding competitions. Those kids are just so cool.

Tell me, why aren't you watching the Olympics?

Lu

Competition is was makes sports fun. When everything is so fragmented it is hard to keep interest. More time is spent talking about the players then actually seeing them perform. Sitting through sports I have no interest make watching a chore. The truth is I would watch events I were not interested in if I could see it as a whole and not selected fragments.

February 25 2006 at 4:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jps2b

jaxbulls, youre an idot. I wouldnt put it past me to find you as the "unpopular" kid in highschool who never participated in sports due to your inablity to get up from your game of counter strike at your computer. Lord knows if that was an event at the olympics, you would probably win. I also dont remember watching any running events in the winter olympics.Moron.

As to why Im not watching the Olympics: the time slot. I catch them as much as I can, but since they are on so late, school and work prevent me from watching as much as Id like to. Dont get me wrong, I love the olympics, but Im also getting turned off from the constant "American Pride" that NBC covers. Its nice to see other countries win too, since that actually happens. God forbid America wins something less than gold.

February 20 2006 at 10:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

I have always loved the winter Olympics but even I can admit that the coverage this year has been horrible. Thanks to DVR's, it's time for NBC to re-think how they do coverage. I know the Team Cross Country Ski Race is a huge deal in Europe (learned that thanks to NBC shoving it down my throat this weekend.) But is that really how you want to start your coverage on Sunday night?

Plus the Americans didn't come on until after 11 pm for Ice Dancing last night. You are on tape delay so why did you make us stay up past 11 or record it to see today? If you want to cultivate future watchers (young kids) then don't put the good stuff on after their bed time. I know they want ratings, I know they are trying to appease advertisers, I know there is so much more to this but there will be no one in America who cares in 4 or 8 years from now because you didn't get them interested this time around.

I'm one of the die hards, I will tape it, I will plan around it, I wear my USA hat with pride. But I grew up with it so it's something I do look forward to every 4 years.

Maybe it's time to move the games to Jan or March so it's not a sweeps month here in the States. But then would NBC fork over the money to air them if it wasn't for sweeps?

For the person talking about curling, I agree, it's an addicting sport. I have watched more curling this year than ever before. This weekend I would put it on while doing other stuff and found myself sitting down to watch the last 5 ends of the game.

Personally, I think I just might send NBC an email with my thoughts because how will they ever know what we think if we don't tell them. I remember growing up seeing at least Speed Skating on a Sat. afternoon (non-Olympic races.) Do we miss the Wide World of Sports that exposed us to this as kids? We have too many cable channels now but maybe we need a winter sports channel so that we hear about Apollo in off years and we see more of these athletes prior to the Olympics.

The Winter Olympics are huge in Europe and will continue to be from what I can see. I really wish we could encourage more people to be interested. We have Tiger Woods setting up golf clinics in urban settings, why can we have some speed skating programs in cities... sponsors willing to send kids up to Lake Placid or out to Salt Lake to expose them to other sports. With the year round school schedule in some areas, they can do it during the winter.

One great story out of this is Joey Cheek donating his bonuses to Right To Play (.com).

February 20 2006 at 8:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
leesa

i have tried to watch the olympics, but all i see is one disappointing event after another. our olympic team has too many 'kids' who think they are the cock of the walk.. run their mouths.. then ultimately embarass themselves.. (and us)
no only that, the olympics are silly these days. half what they have on isnt even a sport. wtf is hurling? what next??? thumbwrestling??

February 19 2006 at 7:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Callie

I'm not watching the Olympics because they bore me. Been there, done that. All the Olypmic stories were exciting when I was a little kid but now it seems like I've heard them all. Unless somebody was raised by abusive wombats who drove them to substance abuse at an early age but showed incredible Olympic potential when the police and park rangers tried to capture them they were raised by the government to be a super athelete, I just honestly could not care less. The Olympics are so far from what's going on in my day to day life I can't manage to connect with them.

February 19 2006 at 3:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laura

I'm not watching the olympics this year because so many people fail. I don't like sports anyways, but this just ruins it. Plus, Grey's Anatomy is on..

February 18 2006 at 11:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rossi

Heck yeah,I watch em.
Why not. For me it's easy to tune out the network "crap"...the American "hype". For me...the internet won't do...so I don't get on it to find the scores before the airing. It's not about the scores. That's the cheif complaint on Americans anyhow. And while and while people at home are complaining about all the hype and no enjoyment just watching competition. They are assisting the "hype" attitude. Watching isn't about "who's gonna win". It's about fabulous World athletic competition...enjoyment of watching sports...waiting to see what's gonna happen and yes...being happy for the "other" guy too. How sad we Americans and all our deals and money tell an athlete whom is FORCED to participate in peddling his life story and allowing people to hype his or her every word, label their humanity on a few choice words, decide what and whom they are by a few bad moment comments...and then tell them they are not worth notice because...you "flopped". Yeh... we are plenty ugly Americans. Go ahead ...WATCH the olympics...you may just ENJOY it if you yourself drop the hype and just watch and cheer for the players.

February 18 2006 at 9:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mandy

I haven't cared much for the Olympics since professional athletes were allowed to play. There's was something magical about watching amateurs, especially those who had to put their professional careers on hold just to try for gold for their country.

It also is hard to get psyched up for someone who has been annoying you in Visa commercials for the past six months.

What little I have watched has been on the CBC because I think NBC is doing a horrible job.

February 18 2006 at 9:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm

The Olympics are boring. And so is every other sport. But the Olympics seem even more boring then anything else. I have zero desire to watch events and athletes I don't even know the names of.

February 18 2006 at 12:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
D Colin

I've been watching the Olympics nightly. I'm not a huge sports fan-- but grew up watching The Games, so I'll always watch. I agree NBC could do a better job. But I haave enjoyed what I've watched.

Nik-- about the curling. USA network is doing a good job of covering that. But there is no way NBC would have 3hrs. of coverage for just one comp.. I watched the USA/Denmark (womens) the other day. Very interesting- never watched, then I watched USA/Italy (mens). Each of those lasted three hours. I watched all the womans and used my DVR for the mens (fast fowarded most of the first half).

And yes it would be great to have events live and complete. I'd love to see every figure skater and all the snowboarding (da-n that is fun to watch, and the snowboard cross so cool). But if they did everything would be in the daytime-- and I know there would be people pis-ed about that (well I'm not home in the day or what not) I'm more upset that the whole new scoring system is ruining figure skating. All jumps, not much else-- cause they gotta rack up the points

Though I've been using my DVR with The Olympics and start watching about 8/8:30 here in the midwest and fast foward the stuff I don't want to watch. I gotta say though have checked out some great speed skating, and skiing too.

I do think that there is less in the daytime than usual (maybe it's the summer that has whole afternoon worth of coverage).
Oh and I've had enough of Bode Miller. I mean he doesn't care if he wins, why should I. I wish they'd stop hyping him and tell use more about other people.

I haven't had the trouble of spoilers. Websites I go on don't mention winners, and I listen to my iPod not the radio

February 17 2006 at 10:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply