September 17, 2014

NBC is obsessed with curling

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 19th 2006 5:32PM

Olympic curlingPeople are wondering why people aren't that excited about the Olympics. Sure, it could be the time difference. It could be that we're watching other things. It could even be that the human drama isn't that thrilling anymore, in this day of reality shows and American Idol.

I don't think NBC is helping matters by showing curling all day today. I mean, curling? It's not exactly the most dramatic of TV sports. It combines the heart-pounding pace of horseshoes with the excitement of...sweeping your kitchen floor. But it's been on all day.

I'm still not sure how you keep score.

David

I never even heard of curling until I seen a womens competion on TV before the Olympics. It raised an eyebrow. I seen the passion and energy these women put into throwing a stone across ice. I was upset that I didn't get to watch any from Torino since they came on when I have to sleep.

Now a year after the Olympics my cluring club just completed our '06-'07 season. And I just completed my "rookie" year of curling. Yes I'm a bonified curler! Now I can't wait until my second season! I certainly wish NBC(or anyother tv network) would cover more. And for you Mr. Bob Sassone, I think you need to try the sport before you try to dog it. Ya might actually enjoy it.

March 20 2007 at 9:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Useless

Count me in the masses that have been loving the curling coverage. I set my Tivo to record as much possible. I wish we could get curling coverage on TV to see it other than olympics, as I find the strategy and skill very fascinating. Also it doesn't hurt that the women's curling teams can be quite cute.

February 20 2006 at 5:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ben

What sucks about the coverage is that NBC goes to commercial in the middle of the end. That is absolutely unheard of and you miss crucial parts of the game.

February 20 2006 at 1:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mgr

I agree. Curling rocks. Wish they would show more than just the USA games.

February 20 2006 at 1:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DanGarion

I'm really enjoying watching the curling. But it's not normally on NBC, it usually played on the other channels during the morning and through the day. Part of the reason is because it's whole game, just like hockey, so they show the whole game. They can't really bits and pieces it like they do everything else (skiing, sled, etc). But it's really been fun to watch and learn. There is so much statagy to the game.

February 20 2006 at 10:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JD

Curling Rocks!!!!

February 20 2006 at 9:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam

What I want to know is why all media outlets, such as ESPN, Sportsline, CNN, NBC Olympics, etc. have to post all the results before we see the event.

That's why no one wants to watch. Why would I watch Bode Miller in Super G at 8:00pm eastern when any time you turn on the tv or go to the internet the results are posted at 12:00pm eastern.

They do this every time there is an international competion outside the US. Everyone knows the results before we see the event.

February 20 2006 at 8:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Malfoy R

Re: 12

There's a SLIGHT difference between 'virtually all the TVS blog readers' and the 20 or so who care about Curling and the majority of thOse 20 who felt the need to step up and defend it. =)

February 20 2006 at 8:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George Karrys

Well, Bob... so far, it looks like virtually all your Blog readers think you're dead wrong.

Anything else to say about curling?

Live from the venue: curlnews.blogspot.com
Olympic Silver Medallist Nagano 1998

February 20 2006 at 5:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ragnar

Yeah. Curling rules, actually. It shows great skill and tactical thinking at the same time.

It's much more interesting to watch than any sport that is just based on strength or speed (anything involving skis, basically).

February 20 2006 at 3:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply