July 23, 2014

Airdate announced for Stephen King's Desperation

by Adam Finley, posted Feb 20th 2006 9:46AM

desperationI have a love/hate relationship with Stephen King. I've read all of his early work, and all together I've probably consumed about ninety-five percent of his total output. I think The Onion's Tasha Robinson put it best when she described King as "a populist yarn-spinner of the highest order." The man writes big, weird stories and he does it well and without pretension. In a way, he's the U2 of literature, a creature often stigmatized for the crime of simply being popular. Sometimes I love him, and sometimes he lets me down. It's kind of a marriage in its own way, and even when he doesn't live up to my expectations, I still have a soft spot for the big galoot.

Translating his work to other mediums, however, is always a crap shoot at best. King's novels allow one to get inside his head, but without King guiding you along and lighting the way, what works on paper can just seem downright trite or silly on screen. With the exception of The Stand (and even that wasn't flawless) his made-for-TV movies tend to (what's the word kids use these days?) oh yeah, they "suck."

So will Desperation, the ABC movie based on his 1996 novel, be any good? When I mentioned it back in June King seemed really excited about the talent assembled for it, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and approach with rare optimism. It hits the airwaves on May 18 at 8 p.m.

Claudia

I'm definitely intrigued. I'm on a big Dark Tower kick at the moment and, having read the seven books, going back and reading the others that tie in. Does anyone know if I can view this made for tv movie in the UK?

March 14 2006 at 5:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason T

It was ok but not as good as the book. Langoliers (anybody remember that one?) the story wasn't that good to begin with, but the abc movie's "special" effects weren't that special and brought the movie down even further. Rose Red I just didn't get and I have read everything King has written. Kingdom Hospital had its moments but I wouldn't watch the re runs if they were on. Salem's Lot on TNT? Please shoot me. I had high hopes for the remake of The Shining but those actors just didn't bring it(What was going on with that kids lip? Looked like Butthead). Storm of the Century had a great bad guy, story, and cast but could have been a 2 hour movie, it just ran too long. The Stand is the closest to getting it right and even then it was a ways off. Will Desperation be any good? More then likely no, but I'll tivo it and watch it anyway.

February 21 2006 at 10:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kevan James

Blimey - "he's the U2 of literature". I've seen King insulted over the years but this must be the worst! How can you compare one of the world's popular writers with the most bland, pointless and egotisical bands that has ever existed!

February 21 2006 at 9:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
phish73

Wasnt Cujo by King? that was awesome!!
i havent read much king, only IT and Misery.
can anyone recommend the top 5 Stephen King must-reads?

February 20 2006 at 10:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave Caolo

The TV adaptation of "It," my favorite King novel, was God-awful. I mean unwatchably bad. And the kid they got for the TV remake of The Shining...I was distracted by his weird mouth shape the whole time.

I didn't read Desperation but I did read The Regulators (its sort of companion). It was full of, as you said, the usual King wakynes. I'm leery of this movie.

February 20 2006 at 4:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply