April 23, 2014

Maybe Denny Crane just likes men?

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Feb 22nd 2006 2:42PM

Denny CraneNow this is just complete speculation, but The WOW Report is reporting (go figure, huh?) that William Shatner's Boston Legal persona Denny Crane may start playing for the other team in an upcoming episode.

Crane's love-interest switcheroo (for those who've seen even five minutes of the show know that he's the stereotypical man's man) may last an episode or two... or even the rest of the season according to WOW. This has a lot of "laugh out loud" potential, but I'll believe it when I start reading it on more websites. Or better yet, in an interview with Shatner. Denny Crane gay? Not sure I can see it, but I'm really hoping this turns out to have some validity.

[Thanks to Martha over at Cinematical for the tip.]

J Rice

If Denny Crain is alluded to be a homosexual this show will lose me and thousands of viewers. We've had enough of the homosexual agenda forced down our throats. Enough is enough!!!

May 19 2006 at 1:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sandy Scott

I think it is still too early in the series run for that.

April 21 2006 at 11:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

They lost me at Murphy Brown...

April 13 2006 at 7:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YOU-DU

I have to agree that the recent outlook of society has change, which will cause networks to change. I do not think they will let his character come out of the closet but keep the possibility that he could have done something in the past or just continue to keep us unsure about him. I do believe if they do, it will be a spin off from Boston Legal

March 24 2006 at 7:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Yes, yeah & yippee!! Denny coming to terms with another side to his sexuality!! It ain't just Brokeback Mountain that has issues.

March 18 2006 at 2:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gloria

If William Shatner begins to play a homosexual in the program, that is when my husband and I will have to find something else to watch. We were so disappointed last night when it became obvious that that might be what is about to happen. We have thoroughly enjoyed the show, but that would certainly end it for us!

March 02 2006 at 4:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JBob

This show is fantastic. I have one show to watch/DVR each weeknight (24, BL, Lost, Office). And Boston Legal is definitely towards the top of that list. The writing is great, raising some real complex issues and executing it really well, while at the same time being laugh-out-loud funny (Crane: i have an erection... thats a good thing) Great show.

February 23 2006 at 2:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cursor

I was speculating about this weeks ago. Denny did a big speech 4-5 episodes ago (the one where he got engaged) about how wives came and went, but his friendships were constant. He slept in bed with the David Spader character (no sex, just sleep), and I thought that might be breaking down some of those barriers to homosexuality in Denny's warped little mind.

Mark my words, people--this is coming and it will be frickin' hilarious!

If you're not watching this show, you're missing the best dramady on TV.

February 22 2006 at 5:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lampbane

I really disliked the way they pushed Willow as being homosexual and not bisexual, if only because I felt like it cheapened her relationship with Oz and also her earlier attraction to Xander. Even the great Whedon himself has stated that if Seth Green had stuck around through season 6, Oz would have been the one getting the bullet through the heart.

The lspecific ine "Hello, gay now!" was meant more as a joke, not as a serious declaration, though. But other things - namely her relationship with Kennedy - were very poorly handled. "Kennedy is gay. Willow is gay. Let's put them together." Uh, I think not. The two had no chemistry, and it felt like it was done more to have a gay relationship than it was to build the characters (Willow's relationships with Oz and Tara - especially Tara - developed more naturally and "felt" right).

I think TV doesn't do bisexual characters (which I agree Willow was) right because of a general societal bias against them. I've met people who have no problem with gay people but believe bisexuals to be "untrustworthy" to be in relationships with (you can't possibly be attracted to both sexes - at the same time! You're going to cheat!). There was even an Ally McBeal episode to this effect - she was dating a judge who ID'd as bi, and Ally imagined coming home to find him in bed with another guy.

February 22 2006 at 5:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ashley Boyd

In regards to Willow, yes she did love Oz but few eighteen year olds in high school would be openly gay, it just doesn't happen that often. Heterosexual is the norm for most people until they realise otherwise. I think its entirely possible that early on in her relationship with Tara she was bisexual, but by "Hello, gay now!" she could have realised she never finds herself sexually attracted towards a man. Plus the line was used for effect more than deep meaning.

February 22 2006 at 4:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply