October 20, 2014

FCC about to come down hard on FOX, NBC, CBS

by Anna Johns, posted Feb 23rd 2006 9:39AM
kevin martin fccHere we go again. MarketWatch is reporting that the Federal Communications Commission plans to impose sanctions on FOX, NBC, and CBS for indecent content. The penalties are the first imposed since current FCC Chairman Kevin Martin (pictured) took office in March 2005. In addition to whatever fines the networks will be made to pay, the FCC will also add the word "shit" to its list of words that cannot be said on television (MarketWatch describes the new banned word as "a four-letter word that is a synonym for excrement" and I can only assume they're not banning the word "crap"). The ruling will also reportedly clarify what is considered indecent, which has become muddied and confusing over the years.

ErricZ

Jason, it's called "The Off Button" or "Cancel The Cable" or "Block The Channels" or "Get A V-Chip TV" or "Watch What Your Children Are Doing" or "Talk To Your Children About What They See In The Real World". To sum it up, it's about personal responsibility and free speech.

Lots of options other than "Let the government decide" -- seems to me we are allowing them to decide WAY too much these days just because people (parents mostly) are too lazy to do it themselves.

February 28 2006 at 4:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason Simmons

It's about time that these networks pay up for all the filth that is on tv these days.

I personally believe that profanity, vulgarity and other obscenities need to be completely eliminated from television. It's unnecessary and shows lack of intellect when you can't express yourself without being vulgar, or obscene.

Gone are the days when you one could turn on a tv show without having to worry about the content.

It's a sad state of affairs in TV history that we as Americans must have the FCC policing our airwaves, but if these networks are not going to stop vulgar and obsecene content from being shown, then I suppose the only alternative is to have the FCC play big brother.

Bottom line: The FCC is doing a great job by helping to impose stricter sanctions against these major TV networks and I applaud them for trying to restore some sense of decency back into the world.

February 24 2006 at 4:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peter Lynn

They could be banning the word "poop" rather than "shit" or "crap".

February 23 2006 at 8:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dmb

"'sure, parents can monitor what their children watch, but why should they have to?' What a flaming idiot. Without personal responsibility, freedom will disappear. As an adult, I think I have the right to watch adult content on public airwaves."

Yeh, well, I'm sure he's not an idiot, but he is catoring to idiots like the one who posted a House comment admitting to making his daugher watch House with him http://www.tvsquad.com/2006/02/21/house-skin-deep/#comments

February 23 2006 at 4:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hessian

Anthony Edwards also said it on "ER" once. Dr. Green fell in his bedroom as his brain tumor was starting to take its toll.

February 23 2006 at 2:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doc

I seem to recall that Mark Harmon was the first person to say shit on a regular network broadcast show back in the Chicago Hope days. They made a huge deal of it at the time. Letterman even did a whole bit centered around it.

I am guessing Family Guy is going to get a spanking. Something tells me this guy didn't get the joke behind the FCC song.

The FCC should not be the morality police.

February 23 2006 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
B

And I was hoping the word was "Bush"

February 23 2006 at 12:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
D

On the shield the say "shit" all the time.

February 23 2006 at 11:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carissa

Not that I expected a reply, but I wrote to this guy ages ago, when he said something like, "sure, parents can monitor what their children watch, but why should they have to?" What a flaming idiot. Without personal responsibility, freedom will disappear. As an adult, I think I have the right to watch adult content on public airwaves. I'm guessing I'm not in the minority, either. Any word on what shows are being fined and for what?

February 23 2006 at 10:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

Are you sure it isn't "crap"? Because I don't really remember ever hearing "shit" on TV and I'm pretty sure it would already be on the list.

February 23 2006 at 10:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply