October 21, 2014

Darren McGavin dead at 83

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 25th 2006 10:10PM

Darren McGavinFollowing on the news that Don Knotts passed away comes word that another TV veteran has died. Darren McGavin, who played roles from private eye Mike Hammer and Jerry Lewis' Delicate Delinquet cop buddy in the 50s to the original Carl Kolchak in The Night Stalker (let's forget about the awful remake this past season, shall we), died this morning in California.

Besides all the real-life writers I read when I was a kid, I was also inspired by two TV scribes: Rob Petrie on The Dick Van Dyke Show and Kolchak, who fought monsters and demons and tried to write stories about them, but no one would believe him.

Wow, Knotts and McGavin die within the same 24 hours. We've lost two classic stars.

nick v

For a group of twenty young boys in Sydney Australia, Darren playing Kolchack will always be remembered and thirty plus years on we will never forget his billiant performances.
From afar his loss has saddened us.
R.I.P Mr Magavin.

March 12 2006 at 6:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Taro Kimura

Thank you Darren, my Mike Hammer.
So long Mike, who has been my idle of New York.
I love your Hammer with a back-bowed hat and hook-vented suits walking on the dark street in Manhattan. We all miss you. Good Bless You.
See You There, Mike.

February 28 2006 at 9:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
K.Hutton

Thirty four years ago,on a January night,I was terrified and intrigued.I will always love and respect the man and the actor that gave me those feelings for the first time.God bless. (P.S.,A legend in Sci-Fi Horror.)

February 26 2006 at 11:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pete

Don knotts and darren play bumbling thieves together.
in 1976, then die within 24 hours of each other...bizarre!

February 26 2006 at 5:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pete

don't forget that these two greats were in "No deposit ,no return "together!

February 26 2006 at 4:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tucker

Honestly, the role of Ralphie's father on A Christmas Story is probably one of the best cast and acted roles I've seen in film. Yeah, it's not an Oscar-worthy movie or anything, but it's one of my all-time favories and one of the most "true" Christmas movies out there. RIP, Darren, you are a legend and will be missed.

February 26 2006 at 12:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cory

Don't forget his most memorable (albeit non-TV role): Playing the dad in "A Christmas Story". Classic.

R.I.P. Darren.

February 25 2006 at 11:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ron H.

How very very sad. Losing our icons.
Tv and Movies will never be the same.
The lose of Darren Mcgavin is just one of many. to many.
We all have to go, and I guess if we can all live as long and as well as he did, we should all be grateful.
But the greed in me says I want him back. Hurts my heart.
You will be remembered, and missed for the rest of my life.

February 25 2006 at 11:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply