September 23, 2014

Don Knotts dead at 81

by Bob Sassone, posted Feb 25th 2006 5:55PM

Don KnottsThis is sad news indeed: Emmy-winning actor Don Knotts died in Los Angeles last night from pulmonary and respiratory complications.

Besides his role as Deputy Barney Fife on The Andy Griffith Show (he won 5 Emmys for the role), he also was a regular on Three's Company, and starred in classic movies such as The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, The Shakiest Gun in the West, and The Incredible Mr. Limpit.

If I were to pick my 10 Favorite TV Characters of All-Time, Barney Fife would be in there.

Filter

When I was a kid growing up one of my favorite movies was and still is The Incredible Mr. Limpet. I fell in love with ladyfish and when she told Don
Why to go to the spawning grounds of course silly,
his reaction was classic Don Knotts.

March 01 2006 at 9:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bush

Mr. Limpet. Barney Fife. Whatever role he played, he was hilarious. He will be truly missed.

I think that this is a trend that will unfortunately continue as we of the TV generation watch all of those

loveable stars we enjoyed on the tube leave us for a better place.

I'm sure he is having a laugh with John Ritter and other costars. Rest assured that your talented performances

will be enjoyed for years to come through reruns and dvd/video.

February 28 2006 at 5:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frank Napolitano

Don Knotts was trully an icon in the comedy sitcoms. I was 7 when The Andy Griffith show first aired. It is still my all time favorite TV show. Those shows with Barney and Opie as well are trully timeless. He will be missed dearly. I dont ever foresee another Don Knotts type. He was a very special person indeed!!! I am very gratefull that I was able to see those shows when they weren't reruns.

February 26 2006 at 1:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rich Keller

I was just looking at IMDB for more information on Don Knotts television. From 1953-1955 he was a regular in the cast of the soap opera "Search For Tomorrow". From 1955-1059 he was part of the 'Man on The Street' segment during Steve Allen's reign on "The Tonight Show". In the 1990's he joined up with Andy Griffith again as a recurring character on "Matlock". More on Mr. Knotts can be found at http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0461455/bio

February 26 2006 at 9:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
M.Young

I am SO sad. Don Knotts was positively brilliant. As far as I am concerned, Barney Fife is the very best second banana ever...TAGS was never the same after he left. I never got into THREE'S COMPANY so I don't really care for Mr. Furley...but BARNEY? BARNEY lives FOREVER!

February 25 2006 at 11:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brykmantra

I remember it as a dark day in my childhood when Barney was replaced by that dud Warren (Jack Burns). Talk about jumping the shark ...

At least he left for a good cause. His movie vehicles were good solid (if formulaic) entertainment.

I can't believe we lost Gilligan, Maxwell Smart, and Barney Fife in the space of one year. If Dick van Dyke goes, it's all over.

February 25 2006 at 10:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rich Keller

This is sad news, indeed. This is one of those deaths that you say 'What?' because it is surprising.

Don Knotts is one of those rare performers who was popular in two or three television generations. Our parents (and most of us from reruns and TV Land) loved him on 'Andy Griffith' while their children watched him on 'Three's Company'.

On the subject of Three's Company, that four members of the cast so far that have passed away since the show ended: Don Knotts, John Ritter, Norman Fell and Audra Lindley.

February 25 2006 at 8:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TheMatt

Don Knotts, Darren McGavin...sad day for TV and movies. I'm sure my sister will wonder who will be #3...

February 25 2006 at 7:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply