November 26, 2014

The Five: Two heads are better than one

by Adam Finley, posted Feb 25th 2006 12:01PM

two-headed sesame street monsterThis time around we're giving a shout out to our favorite two-headed television personalities. Here's some of mine:

Biff and Chip Oblong (The Oblongs): I didn't hate The Oblongs when it aired on Adult Swim, but I didn't think it was that great, either. Lately I've been catching reruns of the series on TBS and now I really like it. Crazy how your mind works sometimes. The show is based on the book Creepy Susie by Angus Oblong, which is hilarious and worth checking out. Biff and Chip were the eldest son/sons of Bob and Pickles Oblong, and a constant source of torment for their brother Milo. They were voiced by twin comedians Randy and Jason Sklar. Jonathan has a nice synopsis of the show here.

Charles and Mambo (Duckman): Biff and Chip Oblong's weird physiological make-up could be explained by the chemical spill that also affected the rest of the family, but Eric Duckman's two-headed son(s) had two heads for really no reason at all. Heck, whatever works. I'm all about being weird just for weirdness' sake.

Two-Headed Monster (Sesame Street): This two-headed creature spoke only in gibberish, but you didn't have to understand what they were saying to get the message: you can accomplish anything when you work together as a team.

Zaphod Beeblebrox (The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy): The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has been developed in pretty much every medium. It was a series of books, a radio play, a feature film, a TV miniseries, and I'm pretty sure it was a pamphlet of some sort, too. Zaphod Beeblebrox was the womanizing alien with two heads and three arms and the inventor of that infamous space libation, the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster. He was played by actor Mark Wing-Davey in the 1981 miniseries, a rather good adaptation and worth checking out if you can find it on DVD.

CatDog: CatDog was a fun little cartoon that ran on Nickelodeon from 1998 to 2001 about the adventures of an animal who shared both a cat and dog head. The one agonizing question the show didn't answer, however, was how this creature went to the bathroom. However it happened, it had to have been really unpleasant for at least one of them.

Adam

Milo! You're right. Got my names all mixed up I did.

Thanks.

March 04 2006 at 9:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bex

The little Oblong was the sociopathic, psycopathic, homicidal, yet, lovable Milo.

February 27 2006 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elliott

How about a shout out to that 2-headed cow. someone should give her a sitcom.

February 27 2006 at 8:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brykmantra

I agree re the movie Zaphod. What a crappy cop-out. They had the technology, like you said, but THEY PUT THE SECOND HEAD IN HIS NECK!!!!

WTF was up with that???????

And notice that his third arm only made a couple of cameo appearances in the film. I think the director was just lazy ...

February 25 2006 at 10:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

Not that they were a particular favorite, but the "Martians" from the "Mr. Dingle The Strong" episode of 'The Twilight Zone' were one body, two heads.

I start thinking about two-headed people and I can't help picturing Ray Milland and Rosey Grier. Bruce Dern was caught up in the same kind of inter-racial transplant in another movie as well.

But Zaphod is definitely the best. It's just a shame the technology didn't exist at the time to make that second head more believable and interactive with the "real" head. I'll bet somebody could really make it work now, thanks to CGI, if they remade the TV version.

(I did not care for how they got around the problem in the movie, but then again, I didn't like anything about the movie except for Warwick Davis' Marvin and the android's body design.)

February 25 2006 at 2:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply