September 2, 2014

Drew Lachey wins Dancing with the Stars

by Anna Johns, posted Feb 27th 2006 8:00AM
drew
lachey winsMaybe now people will start referring to Drew Lachey as 'the dancer' instead of 'the brother of Nick Lachey'. Last night, he and dancing partner Cheryl Burke won the ugly mirrorball trophy on ABC's Dancing with the Stars. Half of the decision was up to the judges and half was up to the voters.

Pro wrestler Stacy Keibler was eliminated halfway through the show, bringing it down to Drew and Jerry Rice.

What do you think? Is Drew the rightful winner?

Jud Sabath

Drew and Chery were legitimate....no question. Their free style won it for them. But, Jerry Rice over Stacy?? Please, give me a break. George Hamilton, who is almost twice as old as any one of the "Stars" worked his butt off, he was injured, but he just kept working hard and going for it. Stacy, by far, was the best dancer, and therefore, should have won, if we're judging a dancing contest. Forget her looks and forget her background, because they're irrelevant. Jerry Rice has an athletic background, George Hamilton, an acting background, and the others pay substantial dollars for personal trainers and chefs that absolutely have an impact on their ability to train, learn new things, and, apparently, amass a substantial fan base. So Stacy's limited ballet training when she was younger and her limited cheerleading experience ranks right up there with the other contestants. What I can't understand is the way Stacy was seemingly brushed off on the final episode. For crying out loud, during a commercial break she was told she was the third runner up. The audience didn't even get to hear her closing comments, which were always humble, as opposed to some of the cockyness from Master P, who couldn't even put on a pair of dancing shoes to show his brothers in the 'hood that by working together with other people from different backgrounds one can accomplish great things, instead of saying, hey, this is who I am and I'm not going to change anything about myself no matter what anyone says. Terrific P, I'm sure you professional dance partner Ashley really appreciated your committment to learning something new. And as much as I like Jerry Rice, he in no way shape or form was near the dancer that Stacy was. Stacy scored the highest aggregate over the course of the show, and was even told by the judges that she was becoming as good as some of the professional dancers. That's pretty high praise from people in the business. It's too bad that ABC didn't reveal exactly how the fans' votes impacted the judges scores. For example, did it matter if one person got 10 more votes than another person in the same way as if one got 1000 more votes that another person? Or was a simple majority all it took. In any case, for those of you who watched last season's show, there was controversy about the winner who just happened to be on a Soap Opera on, you guessed it, ABC. I wonder what Jerry Rice and Drew have in the works with ABC, because Stacy is under contract with the WWE. Sorry Stacy. With all due respect to the other competitors, YOU were the real champ, hands, or should I say feet, down!!

March 02 2006 at 9:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joan

Drew - good call
Jerry - should have been out 3 weeks earlier. Both Lisa & George were better than he. So was Tia.
Stacy should have been in final 2, Lisa 3rd.

This reflects maybe 1/4 talent assessment, 1/4 who the judges think is "hot" (males for Stacy & female for Drew), and 1/2 just sheer popularity contest for the viewers and it is blatantly obvious that the whole football viewing population of the country must have called in to vote for Jerry.

What I really did not understand was how Mr.P. lasted past the first week, the second week, etc. etc. That was truly painful to watch and humiliating to him.

One thing that comes to mind is that perhaps the TV station does not want a "fair" show, so that they get more talk and buzz about their show if there is controversy. It may "up" viewership temporarily, but how many people will want to watch another season of "cooked" results, especially after last year's debacle? I think most of us thought that the show would try to get it right this year after they had to hold the dance-off to correct their bad ending last year.

March 01 2006 at 2:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vicki

Drew was the best....by far...he deserved the title..nice personality too!I think that the popularity vote should be cut down to 25% of the vote, because sometimes the really talented get eliminated because they don't have the amount of votes as the well known actors do, that part is horrible. Mr. P should have been eliminated before Kenny Mane.

February 28 2006 at 11:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason Simmons

LOL@I am sure she noticed. Then, she skated away!

February 28 2006 at 1:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MICHAEL ENDERS

STACEY GOT EFFING SCREWED JERRY SUKED

February 27 2006 at 7:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
marinero

I am not sure if Drew's wife noticed... but mine has noticed that I was salivating whenever Cheryl was dancing... I can watch her calmly only when she is NOT moving... there is amazing energy radiating form her when she is dancing...

February 27 2006 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cynthia

Yes, Drew & Cheryl have great chemistry... do you think his
wife
noticed?

February 27 2006 at 3:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cynthia

Yes, Drew & Cheryl have great chemistry... do you think his wife noticed?

February 27 2006 at 3:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amy

I WAS SO GLAD DREW & CHERYL WON!!! THEY WERE THE BEST THROUGHT HE WHOLE COMPETITION. THEY HAVE SO MUCH CHEMISTRY AND PASSION AND YOU CAN TELL THAT HAVE A GREAT RELATIONSHIP. IF DREW WASNT MARRIED I WOULD LOVE FOR THEM TWO TO GET TOGETHER...THEY ARE A AWESOME COUPLE...THE BEST OF DANCERS....I JUST AM THERE #1 FAN..CONGRATS TO DREW & CHERYL

February 27 2006 at 3:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply