September 1, 2014

My ABC will offer free downloads of hit shows

by Adam Finley, posted Mar 2nd 2006 1:10PM

ABC logoABC offers some of its shows on iTunes, but a new venture set to launch in May called My ABC will allow fans to download free (but ad-supported) episodes of Lost, Desperate Housewives, and Grey's Anatomy. This sounds like a pretty cool idea, and it would be even cooler if I actually watched those shows. The "selling" point, however, will be in how ABC incorporates ads into these downloaded shows. DVR has spoiled some of us, but television watchers are used to seeing commercials. People who are online, however, don't take as kindly to intrusive advertising. It's a necessary evil, but ABC would be wise to consider the medium they'll be utilizing.

doc

I have just started using Democracy (http://www.getdemocracy.com/), and it would be perfect for something like this.

March 05 2006 at 12:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brean

i really hope they follow through with this. i have been wanting to get the eps of these shows forever but i don't have an ipod. i don't really care if there are commercials either.

March 04 2006 at 9:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam

I agree $1.99 the day after it was free is ridiculous, but as my fellow American "stationed abroad" Seaborn (small world, he's my neighbor), alluded to, we don't have many options. For people in our situation, $1.99 sounds pretty good to be able to see the programs at all. Call me silly, but I'll probably keep paying the $2, just so I won't have to deal with commercials.

March 04 2006 at 3:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lampbane

I think this is a good idea seeing as how I usually use BitTorrent to catch up on episodes I missed, or to watch series that aren't out on DVD yet.

Basically, supply the demand, networks! And no, charging $1.99 for something that was free the day before is not the solution.

March 02 2006 at 11:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Don Wilson

You don't watch Grey's Anatomy or Desperate Housewives? What's wrong with you? ;)

March 02 2006 at 5:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
favourite humming sound

Is it safe to assume this will be restricted to those of you (un?)lucky enough to live in the states?

March 02 2006 at 4:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SenorWeird

Excuse me, but if the episodes are DRM free, I will GLADLY approve of Ad-supported files that are downloadable. Even if they're slightly lower in quality than DVDs, so that DVD sales are pushed harder. And yes, I know that bittorrent supplies HD quality files (my personal collection can prove that). But let's thank the networks for embracing technology the right way first. Rather than expect them to one-up the unofficial workarounds they're trying to combat against.

March 02 2006 at 4:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doc

D'oh. I looked right over that link. Thanks Ed. I tend to suspect some kind of streaming solution, but actually like the idea of making it file based and releasing the episodes into the wild. Embrace the bit-torrent technology and let your viewers provide the bandwidth to transfer those files.

March 02 2006 at 2:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ed

It doesn't mention DRM in the article (click the Read link). I'm wondering if this will be file based or streaming only.

March 02 2006 at 2:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doc

Do you have a link? I'm curious as to what kind of DRM scheme they are including in this and whether it is going to be tied to a certain player or operating system.

March 02 2006 at 1:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply