The Five: Best single-word catchphrases
1. "Aeyyy!" OK, so technically this isn't a "word," but you can't deny the popularity of the trademark call of coolness from the one and only Fonz of Happy Days.
2. "D'oh!" Do I really need to go into this one? Though I'm a fan of The
Simpsons, I never did understand what "Do'h" was short for, as any diehard fan would jump on me for
forgetting the apostrophe. What's that all about? Anyway, this catchphrase is one that I could see lasting well after
The Simpsons goes off the air (will that ever happen?)
3. "Giggidy!" Quagmire of Family Guy has said this word both alone and along with several consecutive giggidys. Pretty much anything having to do with, sounding like, looking like, smelling like or feeling like sex in any way, and somehow, somewhere, Quagmire will appear jutting out his chin with his words of approval. (Oh wait, I forgot "tastes like" -- Giggidy!)
4. "Dy-no-mite!" I grew up watching Good Times for years, and this was one of those words you'd hear kids repeat every so often, mimicking the hilariously lanky J.J.. Who could forget the full-body feety pajamas bearing his trademark shout?
5. "Zoinks!" Ah, Scooby Do. I have a love-hate relationship with this cartoon. It's remains among my top five cartoon series of all time, but there are later seasons, spin-offs and, ugh, live-action movies that have soured it for me. However, I'm not sure there's anyone who hasn't heard this familiar and unique phrase, and I'd g so far as to say it's my favorite listed here.
Honorable Mention: "Woah!" (Joey on Blossom), "Engage!" (Picard on Star Trek: TNG)