September 2, 2014

The Five: Best single-word catchphrases

by Keith McDuffee, posted Mar 2nd 2006 10:41AM
homer simpson dohOriginally I was going to list the best catchphrases in general, not limiting my choices to single words. But, as we only list five in our The Five posts, I knew early on that it would be a near impossible task to list only five favorites. So, here we have it, the five best single-word catchphrases of popular TV characters.

1. "Aeyyy!" OK, so technically this isn't a "word," but you can't deny the popularity of the trademark call of coolness from the one and only Fonz of Happy Days.

2. "D'oh!" Do I really need to go into this one? Though I'm a fan of The Simpsons, I never did understand what "Do'h" was short for, as any diehard fan would jump on me for forgetting the apostrophe. What's that all about? Anyway, this catchphrase is one that I could see lasting well after The Simpsons goes off the air (will that ever happen?)

3. "Giggidy!" Quagmire of Family Guy has said this word both alone and along with several consecutive giggidys. Pretty much anything having to do with, sounding like, looking like, smelling like or feeling like sex in any way, and somehow, somewhere, Quagmire will appear jutting out his chin with his words of approval. (Oh wait, I forgot "tastes like" -- Giggidy!)

4. "Dy-no-mite!"
I grew up watching Good Times for years, and this was one of those words you'd hear kids repeat every so often, mimicking the hilariously lanky J.J.. Who could forget the full-body feety pajamas bearing his trademark shout?

5. "Zoinks!" Ah, Scooby Do. I have a love-hate relationship with this cartoon. It's remains among my top five cartoon series of all time, but there are later seasons, spin-offs and, ugh, live-action movies that have soured it for me. However, I'm not sure there's anyone who hasn't heard this familiar and unique phrase, and I'd g so far as to say it's my favorite listed here.

Honorable Mention: "Woah!" (Joey on Blossom), "Engage!" (Picard on Star Trek: TNG)

Tweaq

I believe as Linda partially stated, Do'h was from Laurel and Hardy (i think) but it was a much longer version and dan castellaneta made it shorter, more as a catch phase. giggidy is great.

March 02 2006 at 11:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
phish73

i like Hurley's "Dude!" from Lost.

March 02 2006 at 10:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stephen

How about:

"Waaaahhhh" from I Love Lucy
or
"Luuuuccccyyy!!!"

"Hello" as said by Lenny&Squiggy whenever they entered a room on Laverne and Shirley

"Gollly" from Gomer Pyle

March 02 2006 at 7:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Willy

"Newman!"

March 02 2006 at 4:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

Isn't "Bygones" from Richard Fish on 'Ally McBeal'?

March 02 2006 at 2:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pat Smith

"Ya da, ya da, ya da" from Seinfeld. Has come to mean "on and on and on" w/o actual details.

March 02 2006 at 1:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tucker

Bex: Quagmire does verrrry occasionally throw out a single "giggity." And yes, I spell it with a T.

March 02 2006 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SamMalone

"Nooor-ton!" from the Hooneymooners has been the bane of my existence along with everyone else who shares that last name. Even worse that it had to be explained to me by someone old enough to have seen the show.

March 02 2006 at 12:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bex

Giggidy is a part of a phrase- Giggidy Giggidy Goo or Giggidy in a sequence of Giggidies. Quagmire can't control himself with that word. You'd have been better off with Stewie's "Blast!".

March 02 2006 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ashley Boyd

Im more fond of "Jinkies!" than "Zoinks!" but ah well. Still all good.

March 02 2006 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply