October 24, 2014

Invasion: The Fittest

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Mar 9th 2006 12:09PM

InvasionI usually start my reviews for this show by saying something along the lines of, "It gets better every week!" Well, we've finally reached the point where I don't think it did. If you hold this one up with the episode from a few weeks ago, it just isn't as strong.

A few major things were revealed. Actually, the biggest question still lurking was let out of the bag. But Invasion is actually doing a few things that are starting to bug me.

First off, kudos to those who commented on the last episode. The general consensus was that Kira had not been "taken" since she came out of the water with wounds and her clothes still on (just like Dave's encounter). I completely neglected to process all this and was convinced she was now one of them. Apparently, Kira has an artificial heart valve from surgery as an infant. And as Healy said, the aliens only want the healthy folks. So Kira is still Kira and I was way off base.

Derek and Christina busted a move out of town, but Christina's alien pregnancy is still raging. To the point that her stomach now glows that creepy orange color. Now this is one of the things that bugs me. Christina and Mariel were both "taken" on the same night. So why is Christina's pregnancy moving at such a faster clip? It seems that the writers are holding off on making it a problem for Mariel to maintain her character, which I don't agree with. All these alien pregnancies should be moving at the same speed. So hopefully they have a justifiable reason as to why Mariel's new "kids" are taking the scenic route.

Another thing that is starting to irk me is the lack of urgency. People are turning into aliens! There was an urgency for the first half of the season but it's starting to drag. However, I think it's going to pick up again because we finally met Szura. It's the same guy that played Paul Raines in the last season of 24. Underlay called the guy in to clean up some migrant workers who had been "taken" under the pretense that he was a social worker. But we later found out that wasn't the case. Plus, Szura (or more likely, some of his cronies) killed Healy. So we no longer have him as a source of info.

Also, now that Larkin has access to the military computer server, any predictions as to what they're going to find? How much the military actually knows? I'm thinking that someone high ranking in the military may have been on that plane with Tom nine years ago. Sure, Tom was the only "survivor" but maybe my fictional military guy wasn't on the passenger manifest due to his status. It could happen.

Annie

I watch these episodes sometimes 4-5 times just to catch on to all the little nuances and metaphors. Therefore I can emphatically state that the reason why Christina and Mariel's pregnancies are so "different" is because...Mariel is NOT pregnant! She has a third ovary with a lot of eggs, but she knows better and she's not letting Tom anywhere near her!...LOL...Go Mariel!

March 25 2006 at 2:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam

I thought this episode was way better than the all the aliens-as-puberty-metaphor episodes.

Also, the Hondurans spoke in suspiciously slow/simple (read: gringo interpretable) spanish.

March 10 2006 at 11:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob

The hybrid Hondurans coming out of the water was way cool. Worth that whole subplot actually.

March 09 2006 at 6:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tucker

Actually, I have to add that I rather enjoyed this episode... Why is it that I always like the episodes everyone else hates? I thought that they did a nice job tying a few things up, answering a question or two and setting things up from here on. I have to admit, I was kind of let down when Tom and Russell showed up at the Derek/Christina house and there wasn't some kind of freakish alien den with all sorts of crazy giant creatures running around or anything.. But maybe we'll get that next episode.

March 09 2006 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

This is one of my favorite shows this year, but unless there is going to be a season 2, I don't see how this show can wrap up in any satisfying way this year. If it goes on to a second season, I would guess the next season would deal more with the hybrids overtly acting in the area.

March 09 2006 at 12:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ian

Have you noticed that the Aliens always return, relatively unharmed, any impure huam they encounter. Why?

Dub Aliens can't cure a minor heart problem? Their's hope for humanity yet.

That Sherrif sure is building an "army", but for what purpose?

March 09 2006 at 12:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RFRY

Agreed, Tucker!

Also, Jonathan, I agree that it almost seems like the show's peaked, but then again, that could just be this episode being a stinker. The plot with the Honurans in the jungle seemed to be a total waste of time--except for about fifteen fun seconds when Tom had to struggle with the fact that the taciturn murderers were 'like him'--anyway, it seemed pointless, until we realize it was Szura that came and picked them up. Which was pretty sweet, sure, but it totally could've been done in two minutes rather than ten.

So, while this show is usually super-consistent (which is part of it's draw) it had to labor pretty hard to advance its plotlines this week. We'll see what happens next week, but I still think this was a one-off, down-quality fluke.

March 09 2006 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

My only guesses on the pregnancies is maybe with all that's going on Mariel and Tom haven't had sex since the whole thing happened. They do have three kids to deal with, keeping the town together, keeping ex-husband from telling everyone, etc. Either that or because she's older it's taking longer.

There are times when I'm thinking why do I still watch this show and it's partly because there really aren't many options at 10 pm on Wed. I thought Threshold was better than this show and that got yanked. Invasion isn't at all up to par with Lost so it's a big let down after a fresh Lost episode. I feel like they are going down a road where they can't come back from and it will jump the shark even in the first season too. But I'm a sucker, once I start a show it's very hard for me to give up and not know what happens... tv networks love me!

March 09 2006 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tucker

I was under the impression that Derek recently impregnated Christina, whereas we've been shown no evidence that Tom and Mariel have gotten freaky since the crash. I don't think these "others" are magic asexual beings, nor do they come out of the water with a bun in the oven.

I think it works just the same way it does for "normal" people, so if Tom doesn't want Mariel to pop out a crazy alien baby (he seemed apprehensive about the preggo Christina, when he said something like "it's what she's got inside her you should be afraid of") he'd better make sure he wears a jimmy hat.

March 09 2006 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply