October 23, 2014

Flavor of Love: Finale

by Annie Wu, posted Mar 13th 2006 10:42AM
Flavor of LoveWow. Flavor of Love is, quite possibly, the tackiest reality show I have ever seen (please note that this is coming from someone that considers The Surreal Life a guilty pleasure). After one episode, I was completely disgusted by the behavior of these women and of the star himself, Flavor Flav. I learned that Mr. Flav is a horrible judge of character and that scantily-clad women will do absolutely anything for a moment of fame and glory. However, I found that I was unable to pull myself away from the television... even as I had my remote control held out, pointing directly at the TV, my finger already resting on the Off button and my face twisted in disgust. What a train wreck... a gloriously vicious train wreck.

The final two ladies, Hoopz and New York, aren't exactly the cream of the crop, but, given the choices, I was rooting for Hoopz. New York has always been outrageously smarmy and over-confident and, well, she made me sick. At least Hoopz didn't put on the overdramatics and turn on the waterworks every time Flav breathed near her. But, frankly, Flav is no prize either. He's loud and obnoxious and, again, a terrible judge of character. The only reason why I can even tolerate him is because I've had Public Enemy's "911 Is A Joke" stuck in my head for the past few days (not sure why). The whole show is ridiculously tacky (which adds to its "charm")... Some of the more tasteful moments from this episode included New York asking Flav what he wanted to drink, to which he responded, "Milk!" and grabbed her chest. I waited for her to step back in horror and then clock him a good one across the face. But instead, she giggled loudly like he just whispered a sweet Shakespearean sonnet in her ear. Eh. I don't get it.

The ending of the finale was a good laugh. Hoopz and New York showed up at the elimination wearing practically the same dress. Hilarious. New York tried making Hoopz nervous by rubbing it in her face that she and Flav made love together (Hoopz proceeded to gag, "Could somebody get me a bucket?"). In the end, Flav chose Hoopz, much to New York's dismay. Blame it on schadenfreude, but it was extremely amusing to watch New York cry in the limo. Oh, and to top everything off, Flav presented Hoopz with a lovely gold grill. Nothing says romance like looking as though you've been chewing on scrap metal.

This show could have maintained the same level of class if the winner was decided through a simple, old-school puddin' fight. Just bikinis and a kiddie pool full of Jell-O's finest. It would have saved a lot more time, too. If anyone here has connections to VH1, please let them know about my idea in case they plan on doing a Flavor of Love 2 (oh, God forbid).

Prinzessin

The show was a poor version of "The Bachelor" which in itself is a silly concept - how could you possibly find lasting true love in such a fasion? But like "The Bachelor", its public awareness and ROI were phenomenal and the tackier it got, the more money it made, and that's the whole point isn't it!
However, Flav is a disappointment to himself and his ethnicity [of which I share], and those girls are just as bad. The level of tackiness, crass behavior, ignorant attitude shames and shocks me because younger persons are viewing this and like-shows and assuming that this is normal and acceptable and even desirable!
It is heart-wrenching to realise that this is where our society is heading.
However, I have to say, Flav is one of the ugliest men I've ever seen and the idea being close to him, much less kissing him or letting him touch me is enough to make me hurl chunks...now we know why Goldie did the first night - she was expressing her disgust! Looks aside, maybe he does have a nice personality but his obnoxious behavior is so off-setting, no one that didn't HAVE to be around him [i.e. in the show] would STAY around him long enough to realize it.

April 08 2006 at 1:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Corey

Why did they spilt? When did they spilt? I think "New York" was a royal pain in the @$$ and a 1st class witch (-w +b)

April 08 2006 at 1:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Irene

What makes NY so pitiful is that she genuinely dug Flav. You got to be really desperate to be in a line up competing for any man. I did want to see her get Pumpkin though. Couldn't you tell that Hoopz was gagging when she knew Flav wanted to kiss her? She did not want to kiss him at all. And he knew it too. That's why he was so agreeable on them being only friends. Later!

April 04 2006 at 12:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Irene

April 04 2006 at 12:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amy-jean

Yes the show was one big joke. yes the girl's were all trashy. and yes flav was obnoxious and tacky but I think that was the point. Personally i thought it was the most deliciously cheesy thing i've seen since Jack Frost.
(the one with the killer snow man they defeat with antifreeze) I laughed my ass off every time Hottie opened her mouth.

April 02 2006 at 8:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melissa White

I think it was a total embarassment to the African American race.

April 02 2006 at 11:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hasinah

When I first saw the first episode, I too thought it was a stupid show, my thoughts at first was how could any woman in her right mind go out with him, let alone kiss him. But I continued to watch the show week after week and it seemed to have grown on me. I couldn't wait to see what happened the following week. Not only did the show grow on me, I started to see him as attractive ( can you believe that?). The show was very entertaining.

March 30 2006 at 1:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy Henson

I think it's funny how so many people dogged the show but they wouldn't stop watching it would they? My husband said, "Why do you watch this?" & then he couldn't stop. I loved it. Wonder what they are going to do for a follow up Flava Flav and Hoopz Honeymoon.

I also thought it was funny that the one woman Brigette hated was the only one who dressed nice - not trashy - and the one who Flav picked. Brigette knew Hoopz had the goods to take her man's heart.

March 29 2006 at 8:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dale

I enjoyed the show. I would always have to catch it when it comes on after the 10:00 show. I am over 40 and could not wait until the next show. I thought it was funny

March 26 2006 at 8:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chachi Mama

I actually enjoyed the whole show. I wonder if that will come out on DVD. Oh yeah flavor flav!!!!!!!!!!!

March 26 2006 at 4:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply