April 17, 2014

Isaac Hayes quits South Park

by Annie Wu, posted Mar 13th 2006 8:57PM
ChefA huge disappointment for South Park fans everywhere: Isaac Hayes has quit his role as Chef. It's no big shock that, as a Scientologist, Hayes was offended by November's "Trapped In The Closet" episode. However, many, including the South Park creators, are shocked that Hayes chose now to stand up against the cartoon's disrespect toward religion. To back out of the job and say that the material is personally offensive is one matter, but to scold the show for making fun of religions after doing season after season of jokes about Christians, Mormons, Buddhists, Hindus, and everything else under the sun, is downright preposterous (and it takes a hell of a lot to make me use "preposterous"). Frankly, I am saddened by both Hayes' decision and his reasoning.

Chef has always been one of my favorite characters... I'm too distraught to even make a chocolate salty balls joke.

Jason Anderson

Even though we'll miss Chef, he brought it on himself. I mean, of all things to finally make him leave the show (Which has poked fun at every single other thing in the world by now! Including most real religions.) it's Scientology??

Well, at least they gave it to him good. Now he can't change his mind and come crawling back. Even with the "New Chef". I don't see him returning as Issac anytime ever. But I would like to see what they do with the Darth Chef character.

March 26 2006 at 9:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brandon rifanburg

I aggre with the rest of you. Issac if read these comment hope that u come back and dont be a hipocrit.

March 23 2006 at 2:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rick Charming

"We shouldn't be mad at Chef for leaving us.. we should be mad at that fruity little club for scrambling his mind." - Kyle

Trey and Matt always make me laugh. Those guys really know how to make a point.

March 23 2006 at 12:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bubba

I personally think that the church of scientology made him quit, i hope he comes back to the show.

March 22 2006 at 11:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason Anderson

I love South Park. And I love Chef. But seeing as the episodes are so few and far beween (Literally. What's with the freaking year+ breaks between new episodes? It's topical! They can't find things to make fun of? So much happened this year they could have poked fun at.) I don't think I'd miss him much.

March 20 2006 at 4:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
darth

gauche is french for left.

March 14 2006 at 2:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lampbane

Agreed: the church got to him.

March 14 2006 at 11:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael D.

I watched South Park for 8 yrs. now and I'm not tired of it either. Isaac Hayes is not a sore loser, but he made his point and left the show. Good for him, since he's entitled to his own opinions and explained his reason is to make fun of anyone's religious beliefs is unacceptable in public and the workplace. Then the issue was whether the paper-mache animated comedy is highly offensive and obscene, now one of the voice actors sure was offended (LoL). The show's creators are geniuses if you ask me, and made a successful pop cultural icon for addressing paranormal (originally) and discussed sci-fi mysteries, from UFOs to ghosts, monsters to time travel, and the like. But, what made South Park a big show is they included current events and political issues most TV shows refuse to have, esp. on network TV with mass media self-regulation and FCC supervision. Come on, it's just a joke and I'm sure each one of the show's episodes was edited before it went on the air, since comedy central wants to make sure it's not too intense or vulgar for some viewers. The cable channel has raw, adult, un P-C, anti-social and controversial comedies, so I suggest those who would get upset and disturbed not to watch Comedy Central (now has the 1990s Beavis & Butthead reruns from MTV, which was censored and re-edited many times from each little complaint.) Back then, Beavis and butthead was in a place where South Park was, a hotly debated cartoon that shocked alot of people back then and parent-teacher media watchdog groups. The teen dual are unintellegent, future criminals, sexually obsessed and sits home watching rock videos all day, included drug references and devil worship jokes. It takes one to be brave in the entertainment industry from writers to show producers, break the rules or barriers of TV, radio and other media from All in the Family of the 70s to Married with children in the 80s to NYPD blue was considered too violent, filled with profanity, ethnic insults, and partial nudity scenes. As I said, we should be able to stand tough issues and whatever one calls "taboo" (it means forbidden for moral, cultural, social and religious reasons) may not be to another, since we're a free country to say or act whatever we want and yea, I know there are limits of free expression in proper or polite society. I like to see South Park on the air for another decade and get beyond the Simpsons' as the best animated sitcom of TV history, so keep on the shocking, divisive, childish (but most adults can't take it), hate-mongering, sacreligious, political charged, "gauche" (French for "wrong" or unethical), inappropriate, and low-class toilet humor that SP fans find hysterically hilarious, except a few of their staff, Mr. Isaac Hayes. +

March 14 2006 at 8:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
flotsky

In Hayes's defense, Parker and Stone said many moons ago that their one sacred cow was Scientology, specifically because of Issac. Maybe he feels they went back on their word? I loved the episode myself, made me laugh like a drain.

March 14 2006 at 4:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Raymond Kassinger

Wonder how the South Park creators will get their revenge on the show by ether killing off or otherwise explaining the character's departure. Kyle: "Oh my God! They killed Chef!" Kenny: "Eh, Been there, done that."

March 14 2006 at 3:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply