August 23, 2014

24: 7:00pm - 8:00pm

by Tom Biro, posted Mar 14th 2006 1:53AM
Last week, we were left holding our collective breath as a few members of CTU - and family - were stuck in various rooms at the Los Angeles offices (is it an office when you work for a tactical anti-terrorist organization?) after the weaponized nerve gas was let loose through the ventilation system, killing off a stack 'o' characters, including many people's fave, Edgar. As we come back to reality this week, Chloe is still on the freakout tip, after losing her best bud right before her eyes, and Jack & Co. have most certainly got to find a way out of their CTU tomb, because outside help doesn't appear to be on the way anytime soon.

The promos had given away a bit of a tease as to a big decision that would be coming up this week, and it wasn't quite as minor - no matter how much you dislike Lynn - as it seemed. And yet again in the long history of 24, we're shown another bunch of federales who have decided that they really really really want to take over the CTU crew because they're not doing something right. Yawn.The whole Kim plotline seems to be going nowhere, as this week proceeded. She's pissed at dad, dad's worried about her, Chloe's worried about both of them, Audrey feels bad for Jack's situation, Kim's new boyfriend is C. Thomas Howell, and Bill Buchanan is locked in a room by himself. Oh, and Tony is still really peeved that Henderson was responsible for killing his wife.

I gotta say, I definitely appreciated the "foreshadowing" of Lynn and the redshirt in the secured room, with Lynn taking a chewing-out after admitting that this whole situation was his fault. You knew, without a doubt, that he would own up and bite the bullet when Jack called with the bad news, but seeing the security guy have to call his kid for the last time was pretty harsh. I wonder if Lynn would have done the same had he not been really responsible for the nerve gas getting loose. I'm going to have to say no, frankly.

I'm looking at the cast and trying to decide if anyone outside of Kim, Jack, Chloe, and Curtis have really been around anymore, now that Tony has gotten himself killed when Henderson wakes up from the "coma" he fell into while being dosed with truth serum. Talk about death toll. I don't even want to keep track anymore, the way things have been going (I think we had three this ep - Tony, the redshirt guy, and Lynn), and you know it's not going to get any prettier. The concept of martial law in Los Angeles is not going to bode well for the cityfolk, nor the Logan clan. At the end of the day, will this really help VP Gardner? I'm not so sure.

Looking back, I really want to know where Diane and her son are, or if they just vanish from the landscape for some time. I'm also thinking that Kim and her boytoy might not make it out the door, as you know that the CTU crew is going to put up somewhat of a fight against the Homeland Security team that is on its way in. I expect Buchanan to look to Jack to make things happen, but he might end up neutralized himself. The one thing I really want to hear about now is what was up with Palmer and his secrets - that's got to make its way back into the discussion soon, right?

Stumpcube

Does anyone have an opinion of how reliable imdb is? They have Tony listed as being a character in the next three 24 episodes. I hope it is true, but I wonder how imdb knows this to be a fact.
That was an effective scene when Jack cried holding the apparently dead Tony. I felt pretty sad too!

March 20 2006 at 2:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon

Why didn't Tony get a silent clock? Because having two shows with silent clocks in the end would be over doing it, don't you think? It wouldn't have the same effect, it's like Donald firing more than one person on the Apprentice. The first time it happened, it was a huge shock. Now, he usually fires two at a time. Nobody is really impressed anymore.

March 19 2006 at 12:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ken

Loose end from a few weeks ago. I think the Homeland Security chick is the one Henderson was on the phone with 2 weeks (2 hrs) ago---he was telling a female Bauer would be dead. Assumed at the time it was Henderson's wife but Jack's shooting her in the leg and her subsequent being thrown under the bus by her hubby negates that for me. Course it could have been Mandy (Mia Kirshner) too---she's credited (imdb) for D5:1900-2000 as well as D5:2000-2100.

As for Tony, Carlos B is being shown in credits for D5:2000-2100 (imdb) so perhaps he lasts a little longer before getting his silent countdown.

March 15 2006 at 11:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lenora

Just wondering, why would Bill Buchanan go off by himself. I would think he, being in charge, would choose to stay with his crew. And, is he finished too? This woman from Homeland Security, Karen, said something to that effect. I hope not. I like him a lot.

March 15 2006 at 7:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DJ FINK

Damn...Tony, Edgar, Lynn and David Palmer. I think that I am becoming a jinkx. Everytime I turn on 24, somebody dies. They are really displacing the TV myth that you have to keep many subordinate characters in a show for the audience to continue watching. 24 adds new characters each week and kills off our subordinates. The writers are really setting up the 24 movie. I have a couple of questions. A) Are we sure that David Palmer is really dead? B) What happened to the Chinese government? Do they have something to do with this? C) How many of you out there think that someone inside the White House is helping the terrorists.....Let me know.

March 15 2006 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Renee

5 STARS to Lynn on his dying scene! WOW! Great acting! He reacted to the death gas better than anyone. I didn't care if Lynn left the show, but man, why is everyone else leaving? Will there be anyone left for season 6? Poor Edgar! I loved how him and Chloe played off of one another. I'll miss that. Tony can't really be dead can he? Why don't they just leave them MIA in case the actors decide to come back? I will NOT be happy until President Palmer is back on the show. I think he is still alive. Why don't they replace President Logan? What a wuss! The best part of 24 to me was the fact that we had a kick-butt President who would back Jack when Palmer was in office. Surely Fox can do better than Logan. Now there's someone they can kill off!

March 15 2006 at 8:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Partly

People put way to much emphasis on the silent clock. Silent or not, I think Tony's dead. I'll miss him, but there was no life without Michelle for Tony. Not since season three.

It was a great episode.

March 14 2006 at 6:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gt

henderson will kidnap kim, just wait and see.
the dohs guy asking whether he can get rid of everyone at ctu is clearly a mole.
who cares about tony already!
and i agree with the poster above, shouldnt there be an emergency exit within a 2 minute run? i mean it is a one story building (for the most part)! even so, shouldnt there maybe be a stash of gas masks? do i have to suspend any rationale watching this show?!
meanwhile, good thing for them nothing happened with the terrorists over the entire hour

March 14 2006 at 6:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kenivc

You are all right and you are all wrong. just enjoy..
At the beginning the writers said Nina was not going to be a mole...It came to them down the road while writing that first season...Why is Audrey still barking out orders and even there. She is a liaison from DOD ...that is it....I will still watch until it jumps the shark...remember Fonzie surfing with leather jacket...

March 14 2006 at 5:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aaron Peck

There are no flashbacks whatsoever in 24. Otherwise that would take away from the Real Time feel of the show. In all 4 1/2 seasons of 24 there has not been one flashback, EXCEPT the time that Jack remembered the very beginning of season one as he was holding his dead wife, but even that was a split screen. I have a hard time believing they'd have flashbacks of any sort. TONY LIVES ON!!!! THE NO SILENT COUNTDOWN IS A TELLING SIGN I KNOW IT!!!

March 14 2006 at 4:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply