April 24, 2014

The New Adventures of Old Christine: Supertramp

by Anna Johns, posted Mar 14th 2006 2:17AM
new adventures of old christine
supertrampThis episode was definitely better than the pilot. There was only a tiny bit of interaction with her son in the beginning and, to tell you the truth, I think that's what made the difference. In the pilot, she behaved like she had only just met the little boy and not like she gave birth to him. There was no familiarity there. This episode had fewer kids, more adults, sex, and... Andy Richter!

In this episode, Christine realizes she hasn't had sex for three years. So, she tries to figure out how to go have a one night stand. It turns out there aren't any singles bars anymore, and the best place to meet a guy is at the grocery store.

The scene where she goes to the Whole Foods store to pick up a date was hilarious. I had to pause the TiVo so I could laugh out loud several times. Her whole monologue when she tried to hit on a guy was actually quite funny, and then the intense smiling and the desperate shoulder shaking when she attempted to hit on guy number two was truly hilarious.

Plus, Andy Richter! Slept with her! The visual of both of them lying next to each other in bed and smiling was enough- no lines necessary. Of course, her one night stand turns into a creepy, needy parent who has kids at the same school as her son. As she's dumping him, he gives her a mix tape with her favorite band, Supertramp, and she sleeps with him again. She blurts out the news when she gets home, only to discover her ex-husband is there. So far, the ex-husband's role in this show is to make Christine feel better about herself after she's messed up. Why are they divorced, exactly?

On a sidenote, what is the deal with the lead character, who is supposed to be a mom trying to impress the rich folks, wearing see-through shirts as she drops her son off at school? She had a purple piece of see-through fabric on over a purple bra! Come on.

Jimmy

Overall, I thought this was a good show. Definately the best of the post-Seinfeld shows to date. I agree that the second episode was much stronger than the first, but then most pilots aren't all that great. I thought the first episode of Friends sucked so badly that I didn't watch the show for year! Julia Louis-Dreyfus proved that she's still got the comedy chops she honed so well on Seifeld and most of the supporting cast in good. I especially like the interaction between New and Old Christine, but not the ex-husband so much. Also love the two snooty mothers from the school. Definate comedy potential there

March 14 2006 at 10:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ban Basher

Anna:

You are dead on. The second episode was much stronger. The small moments made the show for me; the shoulder shake in the market, the "look" in the bed, and when she gets the mix-tape. I had to go find an old Supertramp Album (yes I still had one) after the show.

The gag about "dirty talk" was done very well, notably when the brother stated he needed to call mom back.

The main problem I have is why the ex-husband is always around and so nice. I liked him better on the pilot when he was all about his needs.

If CBS keeps the show behind Two and Half, it might have a chance to make it. If the schedule bounces, good-bye.

March 14 2006 at 10:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

The "Post Sienfeld" Curse struck her 2 times on the last show "Watching Ellie" (Allowing it 2 attempts). She is talented and you know, (since you are reading a TV blog site) as well as anybody, that new shows are always a little "akward" to watch the first episode or 2 - until it finds itself. Remember the first few episodes of Sienfled itself?? Ouch!
At very least CBS committed it to a great slot - not fighting the dreaded "Idol" slot...and hopefully it it will keep finding itself. I laughed at the 2 "snob" mothers in the first episode...and laughed out loud in the second during the food store scene. The cast looks solid - don't be such haters and expect it to fail. Julia is great and should be on TV.

March 14 2006 at 10:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Guido

They have to be careful making this show too much about Julia.. It needs to be more of an ensomble cast, without 80% of the show focused on her. I'm not sure her ex-husband is all that strong as a co-lead. Her brother seems pretty strong though.

All that matters of course is ratings.. so that will tell the story of the shows future, whether the show is any good or not.

March 14 2006 at 9:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aaron Peck

I give it two or three more episodes before the Post-Sienfeld curse strikes again!

March 14 2006 at 3:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply