September 18, 2014

Shows that died WAY before their time

by Richard Keller, posted Mar 20th 2006 1:43PM

Arrested Development, died before its time?In search of information about the absolute, total, non-return of Love Monkey, I came across an interesting article in, of all places, The Calgary Sun. The article, written by Kevin Williamson, counts down the top 25 best series that were canceled before their time.

Some of the entries on the list are those that many others (including those fabulous writers who post on this fantastic site) have mentioned as dying premature deaths. For example, the recently departed Arrested Development falls in at number two on the list. Aaron Sorkin's Sports Night appears at the number 12 spot.

Some shows listed are surprises. At number one on the list is Twin Peaks, which many reviewers thought had gone past its initial premise as the show came to an end. Cupid, which starred Jeremy Piven (and which I barely remember) is number 18.

What really shocks me is that Cop Rock is not listed anywhere on this list. Now the cancellation of THAT show was an injustice. Or, was the airing of the show an injustice? I can't remember.

Laura

Agree with most of the postings including:
ANGEL, FIREFLY, BAKERSFIELD PD and SPORTS NIGHT.
I would also add AMERICAN GOTHIC, STRANGE LUCK and SPACE: ABOVE AND BEYOND.

January 23 2007 at 6:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pete from Valley Stream

Don't forget "AKA Pablo" with Paul Rodriguez.

May 24 2006 at 10:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scott

"Grosse Point".Very funny show on WB.

May 10 2006 at 9:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Evelyn Duncan

I wish Blind Justice had been on the list. Ron Eldard is an amazing actor; he dedicated himself to learning what it's like to be blind, and he rehearsed each scene as if he couldn't see. Not many actors would have prepared themselves so well.

Also, what was ABC thinking, scheduling a fledgling police show against a Law and Order show (SVU)? Even though I'm not a network programmer, I know better than that. I'm sure that if Blind Justice had been on cable or CBS, it would still be on the air.

April 11 2006 at 9:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark Mancuso

Freaks and Geeks was the best show that ever aired. NBC never gave it a chance. Now, no matter how amny times I watch it, I still laugh. Thank god for DVD!

April 06 2006 at 7:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tamara

Throwing my two cents in this discussion:

"Dead at 21" -- I wanted some resolve with this MTV show.

"Profitt" -- This had so much potential and great acting.

"Sunset Beach" -- Much better soap than "Passions." There were baby snatching, exotic skin diseases and launched the careers of many sitcom actors.

"Generations" -- Yeah, another soap, but still great.

"My So-Called Life" -- Ditto with what everyone else is saying.

"Freakazoid" -- When I saw it as a kid, I didn't understand it. Now as an adult, I love it. It was too smart.

March 30 2006 at 12:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TheMovieGoer

GET A LIFE

Better than all those on that list, combined

March 22 2006 at 4:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sean Brinkley

The Visitor, John Doe, Millennium - all cancelled by FOX (though Millennium was neutered before cancellation and its 3rd season definitely deserved to be put out of our misery.)

March 21 2006 at 7:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Evan

what about the Simpsons as being a show that has lived WAAAY too long? It lost it's charm like 7 years ago, yet it's being renewed for even more seasons still? 4 years it was a general concensus that it had gone way down hill, but now people seem to try to like the show, as if they're supposed to like it, simply because it's THE SIMPSONS :O . Kill it off already.

March 21 2006 at 8:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply