November 26, 2014

How I Met Your Mother: Life Among The Gorillas

by Ryan j Budke, posted Mar 21st 2006 2:29PM
how i met your mother; ted; robin; barney; suit upI told you I was going to hate Robin; how dare she make a move on Ted when he's so vulnerable! That harpy! What I meant to say was, good episode. Not great, but good. Once again How I Met Your Mother demonstrated why it is the perfect sitcom for the generation it's characters hail from, Marshall had to make some tough decisions about what he wanted to do with his life, who he wanted to be and why. Not only did they show cover both sides of the coin, but it also did so with its normal flair of humor, respect and understanding. On with the show!

The show started out with Marshall preparing for his new internship that Barney helped him lock down last episode. As soon as he gets there though, Marshall realizes that it's just a repeat of high school with the cool kids versus him the nerds. At Barney's nudging, Marshall changes his personality to "become" one of the tribe, but he quickly loses himself in the change. Marshall's unwilling to get "out of character" even at home with just Lily, something she takes great offense to. I really liked this because I thought, once again, that this was a very real world approach to this situation. You always hope that you'll grow out of the "wanting to hang with the cool kids" phase from high school, but the truth is, for most people, you never do. I like how it took not only Lily's pain but also Ted's (completely opposite) advice to get Marshall to snap out of it.

My problems with the episode lie with Ted. In the past I've said that it's been great how they've built up his supporting cast, and I continue to stand by that, but enough is enough. I'm ready to hear more about him. The last episode that was devoted mainly to Ted was the wedding episode where he met Victoria! For the past four or five episodes he's been the side-story and the castaway, and you do need that every now and then. But being a side-story causes episodes like this to lose some of the emotional punch because although Victoria was around for 4 episodes, we really didn't learn too much about her. All that we know is that they felt a "connection"-- I want to know more. It does look like this is going to be remedied shortly with Ted and Robin moving to the front burner again. This could lead to a decent amount of drama on the show, and even some split along the lines of the friends, so I'm looking forward to this. Let me know what you think.

Barneyisms of the Week:
"Excuse me, rockupied"

"I'm the best there is really, but it's the true samurai that lets his sword rest in its scabbard."

Marshall: "There's a motivational poster for 'Awesomeness'"
Barney: "Yea, I had it made"

Featured Songs:
"Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" by AC/DC
"Don't Go Breaking My Heart" by Elton John and Kiki Dee

DJ

What is the actresss name that plays Victoria on the show How I met Your Mother? Thanks

March 27 2006 at 9:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey

Who are the co-workers that work with Barney in "Life Among the Gorilla's"? The dark haired guy looks so familiar, but my wife & I cannot figure out where we have seen him before this episode. I think his name is Bryan Callan.

March 27 2006 at 10:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorv

Cyber High Five???

Steak Sauce.

March 24 2006 at 12:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael G

Are we not forgetting the question? You are home, your friends are out at a bar, you are waiting for a call from your girlfriend in Germany, and she was supposed to call 4 hours a go. The phone rings it is 'aunt' Robin and she say come over.
What do you do, GO

Leave the cell Phone at home, (Just in case she calls) go to Robin's tell her that if she want to hook up, she will have to wait till you break up with your GF.
Call the GF in Germany from Robins and Break up, then Hook up.

Cyber High Five (Barney Style) Anyone?

March 24 2006 at 12:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorv

You know what the best part about this show is (besides Barney) is that we haven't seen those damn kids in MONTHS. They weren't important to the plot, in fact, as we've discussed, the scenes filmed and aired might actually screw with what the writers want to happened.

I like Saget as a narrator, but I can live with the fact that I can start forgetting about the kids. And I don't care what the name of the show is (just to weigh in on someone's next arguement)

March 23 2006 at 1:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ben Reich

Ok, I hear what you're saying, and I admit that it is actually, technically possible, but I would be disappointed. This is the scenario according to your theory: Ted decides to sit down 2 kids to tell them about how he met their mother (1-why would they care? 2-they seemed annoyed like only kids can be annoyed with ther parent(s). 3- Would they be SHOCKED if after 20 minutes, it turns out he was telling a story about his now wife. Why would they react in SHOCK to that? 4- It means they think he had a big crush on their mother "Genevieve", and that's not totally weird to sit them down and talk about it?? While there are no holes, I would be extremely disappointed if that's the case.

March 23 2006 at 6:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
A.S.H.

I agree that Robin isn't the kids' mother. I'm just not convinced that Robin can't be married to Ted. If Ted is friend of, say, "Genevieve," who is the mother, he's telling the kids about how he met his good friend "Genevieve," who we haven't met yet. But along the way he met Robin, who ended up being his wife. So "Uncle Ted" is telling the kids how he met "Genevieve," their mother. The question remains, do we know for sure that Ted is talking to his kids?

March 22 2006 at 6:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ben Reich

OK, I went back. You're wrong. Here's the dialogue at the end of the first episode: Ted: "..how I met your Aunt Robin" (kids looking shocked) Boy: "Aunt Robin?" Girl: "I thought this was how you met MOM!?" Ted: "Will you relax? I'm getting to it." The 2nd episode starts with, "You were telling us how you met mom." In the 3rd episode, Ted: "So there was this one night, before I met your mother." ---which also means he hadn't met her yet & it can't be Robin. Sorry.

March 22 2006 at 4:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
A.S.H.

"Kids, let me tell you how i met your mother" in no way eliminates the possibility that he's talking to kids that aren't his offspring. He could just as easily be a "friend of the family" who is explaining how he first met their mother. We'd need to hear one of the kids refer to him as "Dad" to settle that...

March 22 2006 at 12:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ben Reich

I'm pretty sure the pilot starts with something like, "Kids, let me tell you how i met your mother." That would totally remove the "he's talking to his nephew & niece" angle. And, as I posted last episode, it never says he and victoria don't end up together. All he says is long distance relationships never work out. Especially on this show, that leaves a lot unsaid.

March 22 2006 at 5:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply