April 23, 2014

Jon Stewart will host Peabody Awards

by Adam Finley, posted Mar 22nd 2006 1:02PM
jon stewartJon Stewart is gearing up for hosting duties yet again, this time for the Peabody Awards in New York City on June 5. Stewart, who has won two Peabodys himself for The Daily Show's election coverage, was chosen partly for his "journalistic smarts and comic genius." Well, I'll give them the "comic genius" part, but I still cringe whenever someone refers to The Daily Show as "journalism." Additionally, winners from the 2005 ceremony will be announced via satellite and Web cast on April 5.

Elliott

I know Stewart says he is not journalist (my Charles Barkely analogy), but I think what he means is something different.

I think what he means is that he shouldn't have to be a journalist, but since everyone else sucks so bad he is left with no choice. He spends a majority of the show pointing out journalism errors. When people perceive him as making an anti-Bush joke, I perceive him as saying, "Let me point something out to you that 'journalism' is too lazy to fact-check or they are ignoring the fact that this official said the exact opposite thing earlier".

He is a journalist reporting on journalism in humourous way.

March 22 2006 at 3:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aaron Peck

The iorny is Jon Stewart knows that he is the best news source out there and that's what scares him. Just watch his apperance a while ago on Crossfire I think it was...which ever one that Tucker Carlson guy used to be on, and just see what he says to those guys. Journalism in the US has gone way downhill with all the crazy corporate ownership of news outlets.

March 22 2006 at 2:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Sassone

Stewart himself would cringe (and often has) at anyone who thinks the show is journalism and that they get their news only from the show.

March 22 2006 at 2:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elliott

Cringe all you want but "The Daily Show" is journalism and Charles Barkley was a role model. Jon may want other peole in the business to do a better job and "stop hurting America", but he can't really hide behind that 'I'm only a comedian' gimmick.

March 22 2006 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael Heumann

Well, considering how poor actual journalism is in the US, and considering that Jon Stewart's show is probably more reliable and honest about news events (and the idiots who make them) than so-called traditional journalists, I have no problem at all calling Stewart a journalist and his show journalism.

March 22 2006 at 1:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply