October 31, 2014

Newsradio and The Case of the Disappearing Penis

by Bob Sassone, posted Mar 23rd 2006 1:59PM
NewsradioI've been watching the third season DVD set of Newsradio again. It's amazing how there are just some shows where you can just keep watching and rewatching and rewatching the same episodes over and over again. Sometimes within days of each other. I don't know, they give a sort of comfort to me. And now that you know how much of a freak I am, let me get into something that is probably baffling a lot of Newsradio fans.

The episode titled "The Injury," where Matthew hurts himself goofing off at work and has no medical insurance, is included on the third episode set. Now, fans will remember that this episode was also included in the first DVD set, as part of the second season discs. So is it a second season episode or a third season episode? Doing some digging, the best I can come up with is this: it was actually a second season ep, but because the episode has several mentions of the word "penis" (Bill is doing an on-air editorial about the word being used on the airwaves), NBC held on to the episode for a very long time, edited it (I guess you can only have so many mentions of penis is one 22 minute ep), and then ran it the third season. That's why its on both DVD sets.

But here's the thing: I remember seeing this episode with ALL the penises intact (ahem). At the end, Dave mentions to Bill that he'll have to be fined a certain amount of money "per penis." But the DVD cuts this entire thing out. And then when Dave walks away, Bill mutters "penis" again, but that is silenced out. You can still see Phil Hartman mouth the word and you can read his lips.

So maybe I saw the syndicated version, which may have had all the penis mentions in there. But my question is, why would they include the edited version on a DVD set? Why not give the (no pun intended) uncut version? Of course, I'm also wondering why they bleep out all the swears on the otherwise fantastic commentaries, but that's another topic altogether.

drc

You are all being fined for 14 mentions of the word penis,
make that 15 mentions...

March 24 2006 at 4:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jort

I do live in another country indeed, but apparently we're so backwards here that Newsradio is not available on DVD. So I (pre)ordered them from the USA via Amazon.

On the Season 3 discs, the Per Penis part is not there (and I have a vague recollection of seeing that when it aired here on tv), but the scene with Bill and Dave talking at Bill's desk starts at around 18:00 and ends at 18:40 with Bill mouthing the word Penis while the camera cuts away to Matthew and Jimmy in the break room. There is a camera switch at the part where that part belonged.

On the Season 1&2 discs, it's exactly the same.

March 24 2006 at 9:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shawn Holwegner

Gazizza!

I can't believe I'm posting just to rebuke the whole Buttifuco "penis" fiasco. My mother's taken, and refuses to give me back my Season 1 & 2 DVD set, but my Season 3 set has all of the 'penis' comments intact, and the scene with Dave fining Bill IS in there.

I obtained this through a friend who bought it for me at "Best Buy", but I'll likely be purchasing a companion DVD set for my mother... and likely a Season 1&2 to replace my own..

March 24 2006 at 12:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

Well, Bob I'm going to have to rewatch this episode on our 3rd season set... but I wanted to let you know that you are not a freak. My bf and I have NewsRadio on every night. My bf snores like you wouldn't believe, so I need some "white noise", every night we push play on the dvd player and NewsRadio starts up. It's on all night until the timer turns it off. We rotate discs now and then (since I tend to only hear maybe the first episode before i'm out cutting Z's myself.) It's the best thing to watch before going to sleep.. no abrasive laugh track (seems like they dont have much of one), not flashy lights and scene changes, not much yelling ('cept when Bill gives up smoking/Dave gives up coffee and they yell at Matthew, omg i cry with laughter when i see that--or when Jimmy James goes on his Advertising rant...) ... it's such a great show.

March 23 2006 at 9:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Sassone

Actually Erik, my point is that BOTH versions of the episode I have, both the second and third seasons, is the edited version of this episode.

March 23 2006 at 7:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erik

I can't believe you people are having this much of a hard time with the article.

Bob said that the same episode is on the Season 2 set and the Season 3 set. The episode on 2 is fine, the episode on 3 is edited. He wonders why they bothered putting the edited episode on the 3rd set if it is unedited on the second one.

We all know your set of season 2 has it un-edited, his was as well. As is mine.

Bob - to answer your question...I guess because it was technically part of season 3 they included it, and they included it the way it aired for season 3.

March 23 2006 at 7:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

I am in the US. I have both sets. I have not watched the season 3 set yet. But the scenes you described are present uncut on my Season 1/2 set. Pre-Ordered from Amazon. Recieved it a week before the street date for the set was. Perhaps some copies went out with the uneditied episode?

March 23 2006 at 6:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Sassone

Which set are you talking about, seasons 1 and 2 or season 3?

The scene I'm talking about is at the very end, where Dave confronts Bill about his on-air editorials. The scene is there, but has been edited. In the old version, Bill asks Dave if his fine amount is "total," and Dave says "per penis." This dialogue is cut from the version I have (both sets, actually - the ep is on both sets).

Another line cut is Bill's final "penis!" when Dave walks away. You can see Hartman mouth the word, but the sound is cut out.

If I'm wrong, let me know. And let me know what set you have and what country you're in.

March 23 2006 at 5:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

I can back up jort on this one. I just watched this last night on my season 1 set and all of the penises were there. No edits, cuts or sound removals.

March 23 2006 at 5:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Sassone

I doubt that jort, unless you live in another country and there's a foreign set? This editing of the episode is pretty famous in Newsradio fandom.

March 23 2006 at 5:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply