October 21, 2014

Another Idol controversy?

by Bob Sassone, posted Mar 24th 2006 7:00PM
It seems every season we have enough American Idol scandals (or possible scandals) to keep the tabloids and message boards busy full-time. Now comes word that Idol finalist Chris Daughtry - praised for his original take on Johnny Cash's "I Walk The Line" - might have actually ripped off the style and the arrangement from a 2001 version of the song by the group Live. And Simon actually praised Daughtry for "being himself."

Who knows if this is really a "scandal" or just a matter of Daughtry knowing of the Live version of the song and wanting to do that style of song instead of the Johnny Cash-like version.

Leigh

Oh for God's sake, it's a talent show... Everyone on this show sings someone else's song. And I can only think of a handful of times that the original artist got credit for the song. I think Chris is a terrific performer and has a great voice. Quite frankly, he is one of the best this season. Cut him some slack. Rumor has it, He did shout out to the band and it got cut from the show. There is two sides to every story.

March 28 2006 at 1:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

I hope he wasn't given credit for the arrangement. I don't think he could arrange that (though I don't know the extent of his talent), the band just took it straight from the Live version.

Also, if they were praising him live, how was he supposed to interject without sounding awkward. "Uh, actually, I need to, uh, correct you all..."

March 27 2006 at 10:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
T

To Jim B: yes, they all do covers. However, in this instance, Chris was either taking or was given credit for the arrangement of the song, artistry which belongs to another artist and not him. Therefore, that should be made clear, and it was not.

March 25 2006 at 8:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
T

Jacqueline: Simon, Randy, and everyone on that show do not know even *half* what they claim to about music.

They know POP best of all (if you even want to call that 'music'), and a smattering of good/relevant (read: older) R&B, and that's about as far as I see it going. I have yet to observe any hard evidence of this vast knowledge they claim to (or are assumed to) have.

In Chris's defense, this may have been a production call, he may have mentioned Live in his interviews and they could have cut it. That is possible....who knows? At any rate, credit where credit's due was not given in this case, and now that people have caught on some reason must be given. I eagerly await to see who will sport the egg on their face come Tuesday...

March 25 2006 at 8:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JimB

How can any of this be a "controversy"? Everything anyone sings on that American Idol is a cover. Does it really matter whose version they are covering when the entire show is based on glorified karaoke?

March 25 2006 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mama

I must admit, I have never heard Live's version of the song, so I also thought that this was an "original" by Chris Daughtry. When listening to Z-100fm the next morning they played both versions side by side. One could truly see where Chris took his inspiration. However, that's his right to do so. No one said the contestants can't cover another band's material.

Chris is a young guy, up on a stage performing in front of live TV. The ultimate pressure. We all have seen the Academy Awards when actors win and forget to thank someone. It is so common. It's the heat of the moment and it happens -what's the fuss about?

What I want to know is, why didn't Simon or Randy, who constantly throw out that they know all there is to know about music, groups, etc, recognize the fact that he was covering another band's music themselves? Hello, they're the judges and constantly hold themselves out to be fountains of musical knowledge.

If they didnt catch that he was using another band's version, sorry, they're the ones that missed out, don't blame Chris. Chris, you did great. You owe no apologies. Throw Live a little thank you, but dont apologize.

March 25 2006 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ned Wynn

I love the guy's singing, but everyone should always give attribution where attribution is due. It's a no-no to let that slide.

March 25 2006 at 12:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

I don't think I had heard Live's version, but I remember thinking, "Damn, he really sounds like Live."

March 25 2006 at 12:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carri

I don't care what he does. The guy rocks. I love him. He can sing whatever he wants. =)

March 24 2006 at 11:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
William Pitcher

It's my understanding that the live audience at the show sees longer video clips. (The performance show is not live, in real time, on tv.) Apparently, in the Chris's longer clip he does acknowledge the band LIVE. He would have no way of knowing that Fox trimmed this out until he saw the show on tv.
Cheers, Bill.