October 24, 2014

Family Guy: Sibling Rivalry

by Bob Sassone, posted Mar 26th 2006 9:44PM
Family GuyWell, if there's one reason I'm glad I watched tonight's ep is because I learned exactly how a vasectomy is done. Thanks to the barbershop quartet singing about the procedure and the handy diagram of the scrotum, I now know exactly what it entails.

Peter is going to have a vasectomy, so he decides to freeze is sperm before he does it. This leads to an hysterical yet truly gross scene where Peter knocks over an entire shelf of sperm samples, and has to refill them, um, himself. Flash forward nine months, and a woman gives birth to another Stewie, named Bertram.Bertram (voice of Wallace Shawn) shows up at the playground (not quite sure of the timeline of this...how old is he now?) Stewie heads an attack to "unleash Hell" on his archenemy. This leads to a surreal scene (which pretty much describes Family Guy anyway) where all the kids fly airplanes and shoot bullets and missles at each other. Their planes are destroyed, but they parachute to safety. Bertram sends Stewie's girl with a surrender note. But she's wearing makeup to hide...chicken pox! It was a ploy by Bertram to give Stewie and his army the red dots. Lois picks up Stewie, and he mentions that she's so fat she looks like a Memory Foam mattress.

Yes, Lois is getting fat because Peter won't have sex with her. But in bed, when Lois accidentally falls on top of him and can't get up, the two decide to have sex ("Fat sex is the best sex we've ever had!").

Stewie goes back to the playground. Bertram is surprised to see him alive. The two end up in a swordfight (yes, a swordfight) that would make Errol Flynn proud. Or maybe this was an homage to Shawn's movie The Princess Bride. Stewie  wins and Bertram asks him if he's going to kill him. The next scene is Stewie and a man digging a hole. Relax, they're only planting a tree. Bertram actually gave up and ran off.

Lois has a heart attack during sex, but she'll be OK. The doc gets rid of Lois' fat and stores it in a closet. The doc opens the closet and Peter is in there, having sex with the giant pile of fat. Whoa.

You really can't describe this show without it sounding deranged. Which it is. But it's funny as hell too.

annonymous

Ok so I just watched this episode and it was funny as hell...I loved all of it...the only part that kind of irrateted me a little was the fact that they made fun of two very serious issues...bullimia and self mutilation...
Lois: I now understand that overeating is not a way to solve my problems. you hear that meg?
Meg: for your information mom i don't eat to solve my problems i cut myself is that better?
Lois: chris we all like your hat.
i love the show and I understand that some people might not find that as bad as i do but i don't think that they should have put that in there.

December 03 2006 at 11:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Duncan S

Great episode! The role playing scene is pure Family Guy kinkiness, played to perfection. In some ways, I think the show is getting even better.

March 28 2006 at 10:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott H

Ok, am I the only one that heard the "jodi foster knuckle" comment. That was excellent.

March 27 2006 at 10:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Wyant

Best part were the Barbershop Quartet dragging out the explanation, and Peter's milkshakin' at the prison. I died!

March 27 2006 at 12:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dave

As I see it, the following is the funniest part of an otherwise lackluster and underwhelming episode:

March 27 2006 at 10:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Liz Newcomb

Yes, that was definitely Christopher Moltisante (sp?) in the grave digging scene, Tony's nephew on "The Sopranos." I'm not entirely sure that was the real actor's voice, however, but it was close.

March 27 2006 at 8:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Flash

Yeah that Ice Age clip was very strange, and not very funny. But the barbershop quartet skit was just incredibly good, especially the breakdown they did. I was bewildered and amused at the same time.

March 27 2006 at 3:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will B.

I don't think that scene when Stewie was digging a hole alluded to Armand Assante. Stewie said "Mr. Moltisanti", referencing Tony Soprano's right-hand-man. Very, very subtle jab at their time-slot competitor.

And what was up with that Ice Age parody? That seemed really forced to me. Do you all think maybe they took product placement payola, especially considering the two Ice Age 2 commercials?

March 27 2006 at 1:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jnickola

We've seen the character Bertram before, in, um, sperm form, when Stewie went on a "Fantastic Voyage"-type adventure inside Peter to prevent having a younger sibling to contend with.

March 27 2006 at 12:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Blah

It was such a great episode. I laughed constantly.

"Chicken Pox! I thought we agreed on no biological warfare!"

And the whole fat sex thing is great.

March 26 2006 at 11:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply