April 19, 2014

The Loop: Trouble In The Saddle

by Bob Sassone, posted Mar 30th 2006 9:18PM
The LoopUm...did I just waste thirty minutes of my life watching a sitcom completely revolving around the fact that the lead hurt his groin? And he couldn't ride a horse because it hurt or shake hands with several execs because his hands hurt and he was trying to hide this fact from his bosses?

I'm sorry, but this show is just stupid.

And I don't mind stupid humor. I enjoy the Three Stooges and pastry sex in American Pie and Ben Stiller getting his junk stuck in a zipper. But this was pointless and obvious, and seemed to just scream "HEY, WE'RE A FOX COMEDY AND WE DO A LOT OF JOKES ABOUT CROTCHES. AND OH YEAH, WE CANCELED ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT."

It would be OK if there was some heart underneath all of this, but there isn't. It's complete tone is irreverence and irony and wackiness from start to finish. So we can't imagine getting involved with these characters or watching them for a few more seasons to come. Which, by the way, won't be a problem anyway.

There's going to be a "special night" of The Loop this Sunday after The Simpsons. My advice is to switch on over to NBC and watch the second half of The West Wing.

KK

I firmly agree with the reader above me

April 01 2006 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

I like the show...You need to get over Arrested Development being cancelled.

March 31 2006 at 2:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

Yes, I must admit last night's episode of The Loop was not THAT great but you have to agree that the first episode when the main character had to wear the pirate hat was HILARIOUS! And yes, I hate FOX for cancelling Arrested Development - the BEST show on television! Is another network going to be smart and pick up that show?!?

March 31 2006 at 8:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thomas

I gave this a chance because of Philip Baker Hall (Lt. Bookman) and Mimi Rogers. Their characters are quite good but the rest, ie the younger cast members are all pretty much a bunch of nothing, you could easily interchange the actors and the show would be no better or worse. I'll continue to watch, if only for Mimi Rogers who is hot.

Personally I feel that shows like this and Arrested Development (especially AD) have no place on Network TV, they just end up being cancelled or incredibly toned down and then cancelled. I felt that this show had a real Arrested Development vibe, in so much as it was a bit odd (although it was never gonna be in the same league) and would have been cool if they'd really played up to that but they haven't and it's becoming more and more sitcomy.

March 31 2006 at 7:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bryce

This show is good for a cheep laugh, it's not bad enough that I'm going to stop watching it, hopefully it will find it'll pick up though.

March 31 2006 at 1:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thomas

My wife and I enjoy it. I'm very excited for the Sunday episode!

March 30 2006 at 10:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SANDY

I am laughin so hard at your comment..Well a giant DUH!!! With a title like that~You have to be the only viewer that would bother! hahahaha
Try watching 'paint dry', next time! rofl

March 30 2006 at 9:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply