September 2, 2014

Out of Practice, Courting Alex go back on the shelf

by Joel Keller, posted Mar 31st 2006 4:29PM
Courting AlexWell, that didn't take long.  After two low-rated airings, the Wednesday at 8 combination of Out of Practice and Courting Alex will be put back on hiatus in favor of The Amazing Race, which will be moved up from it's family-unfriendly Tuesday at 10 slot.

This is not a big surprise; when both shows were on Mondays at 9:30, they benefited from the strong lead-in provided by Two and a Half Men. By themselves, neither show was strong enough to lead off a night. And, considering the lousy quality of the writing on one of them -- let's just say I thought Out of Practice was decent most of the time -- it's probably better for everyone involved that these shows die quiet deaths over the summer.

Kathy

Courting Alex and Out of Practice were two really, really good sitcoms. The problem is that the network is constantly changing times and days the shows are aired, and we just can't keep up. This has happened in the past with many shows, we can't find what night they come on! I think the networks are the problems, not the writing.

May 10 2006 at 12:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sabatino

I adore Out of practice. Please, please tell me it will be saved!!!!!

April 25 2006 at 6:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gary

I thought out of practice was the best comedy of this season, and I love Paula Marshall as a comedic actress. I personnally will be flipping back to NBC until you find another show for Paula to be in if this one gets cancelled.

April 14 2006 at 12:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lorraine LoGrande

I'd like to know who makes these decisions to pull shows off the air without any notice. With all the garbage on TV these days, like "My Name is Earl", why pull a really funny show like "Out of Practice". It's enough to make you read a book instead.

April 12 2006 at 8:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cree

Out of Practice was one of the best new comedies out this year. It was hilarious! Stockard Channing is awesome and Henry Winkler was very funny. I can't stand how fickle TV is these days - shows don't have a fighting chance. They are moved all around the calendar and are on-again and off-again. I'm going to stop keeping track and just tune if I get a chance. Every show I begin to like gets moved, or put on a hiatus, or cancelled. Out of Practice was a great show and should be put back on!

April 12 2006 at 4:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christopher Gorham

I just wanted to throw my two cents in here and back up my tv sister. "Old Christine"'s retention of "2 1/2 Men" has now fallen for three weeks in a row, down to 82%, which is below what "Out of Practice" was earning when we were in that time slot (84-88%). Their household rating was an 11 last night, while "Out of Practice" consistantly drew a 12 and above. But the biggest difference in the numbers is that while "Courting Alex" and "Old Christine" both received enormous advertising campains, and were both called the, "Number one new comedy of the year!", both of them showed a pattern of declining ratings after week two of their runs. "Out of Practice", the least promoted show, was the only one to show consistent growth, from week to week, until we were silently moved to Wednesdays. Why is it, then, that "Old Christine" is referred to as an undeniable success while "Out of Practice", the show with better numbers (and the only one with growing numbers) even up against Monday Night Football, is considered low rated?
Take a look at the enormous advantages those other shows had, huge ad campaigns (commercials, billboards, talk shows, Ellen!) and no Monday Night Football. Now take a look at the numbers, not just the averages (because we aired 12 episodes on Mondays compared to five or six for "Old Christine" and "Courting Alex"), but at the directions those numbers were going, "Out of Practice" up, other two shows down, and then please tell everyone that the only undeniable ratings success on CBS Mondays (higher rated than "My Name is Earl" and "The Office" too!) was "Out of Practice".
I'm just saying.

April 11 2006 at 8:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Georges

i do love Out of Practice and i don't know why CBC are cancelling it. I saw the first episode and i laughed for times. it was a good show. i don't usually love a show so quickly. it took me a whole season to love Friends. actually i don't really enjoy Friends when i starting watching its first season. then there's its second season of Friends and i love it and i do enjoy it. not every show has a big success like DH or LOST in the beginning. SATC and Friends were not really popular in their frist seasons. if CBS just cancel any show when they are not doing really good for one or two episodes, they're never gonna have shows as successful as Friends or SATC. perhaps, if Friends and SATC were in CBS, they may have been cancelled in their first seasons!!

April 11 2006 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FW Strait

I am Sorry but, It seems every time a show like this comes on that is really entertaining for those of us that appreciate decent HUMOR you cancel it. You have the big names and I for one can't beleive that those of us who know them aren't watching. so keep it up and I will be saving a lot of money because I am going to throw the tv out and forget it. THANKS for the contribution.!!!!!!

April 11 2006 at 10:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FW Strait

April 11 2006 at 10:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stacy

I also want to add my two cents on this subject. Out of Practice had great comedic timing, funny story lines, and the actors all flowed well together. I looked forward to this show almost more than Two 1/2 men! I also followed it to Wednesday, tickled it was back on. I can't believe they can cancel this show, and yet shows like "According to Jim" still stay on the air. I just don't get it. Bring back Out of Practice!! I speak for many!!

April 10 2006 at 10:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply