November 23, 2014

The O.C.: The Secrets and Lies

by Lacy Hall, posted Mar 31st 2006 2:06PM

For the record, I don't think Volchok is that gross. In fact, he's a pretty good looking guy. I don't think he deserves the "ew" that Summer gives him. (But she does pass out the ew's pretty easily.) I'm not so crazy about his drug problem, but I can understand why Marissa finds him attractive. He's got that motorcycle and no discernible responsibilities. Plus, he looks like he could be good in bed. He seems like he'd be a very attentive lover.  And, it appears that is what poor Marissa is looking for....attention.

This week, Marissa found herself falling deeper into the slut spiral (as Summer calls it), and I'm absolutely loving it. The O.C. has really gotten great in the past few weeks, and this episode was another winner. With her mom still on the cruise with Dr. Roberts, Marissa and Volchok really did a number on the trailer. Pizza boxes, bong hits, panty slumber parties -- the trailer has finally reached its full white trash potential. It's just sad that it happened right when Julie and Marissa are moving out.

But I'm super-psyched about the Julie Cooper and Dr. Roberts (what is his first name?) engagement. So much so, that I don't have much to say about it. We all knew that another Julie Cooper engagement was inevitable, and Dr. Roberts seems a good target. But what was up with him telling Julie that the engagement was trial run to see if the marriage would work? I thought that was a little bit harsh. Even if you're thinking that, it's not something that you should ever say aloud, even on a primetime teen soap opera. It's like, "hey, I hope your sometimes lesbian/alcoholic/nipple flashing daughter doesn't get too out of control, because then I'm going to dump you." It's just cruel.

I don't know how I feel about the mother/son dates that Seth and Kirsten were going on. Yes, I do...I think it's weird that she took him to her AA meeting. Not weird that she took him, but weird that she didn't tell him. Plus, it seemed an odd location for a second date. They should have gone to the diner first or something, and gotten those world-famous cheese fries.

So, Sadie and Ryan are together, but then they broke up, but now they're back together again. It's awesome that Ryan has found himself a girl that doesn't put him through a lot of drama (sarcasm). I really thought it was jerky that she sold the house like that and just planned to take off to Oregon. If Marissa has to stop and tell you that you're being selfish, then you're really being selfish. But the most important thing I have to say about Sadie is that her boobs looked enormous during that scene where she was telling Ryan that she sold the house. If the producers wanted us to pay attention to the dialog in that scene then they really should have skipped the push-up bra. I know I had trouble concentrating on anything else and I'm a girl.

Finally, cocaine...cocaine...COCAINE! I'm actually surprised that Marissa hasn't done coke before. In fact, I sorta think her character has, but it's just never been a plot point before. Still, this is not going to lead Marissa down a good path. Don't get me wrong, I'm against recreational cocaine use, but I'm really excited about the drama that this is going to cause. This is way better than Seth's lame ass weed addiction.

Morgan

OMGs Volchok is Freaking hott!!!!!!!!!.I think that it is great that he's on there ..... I hope he is still alive though but Im sure Ryan did'nt kill him . Anyways I liked the Marissa Volchok untill the choke thing and Him mackin on all thoses girls but whatever he's still Super Hott!!!!!!!!

April 30 2006 at 4:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
northtown

Good episode, thought the coke thing is a good storyline- even though we all know it last more than a few episodes.
Next week is Nikki Reed's last episode..not too happy bout that.

April 01 2006 at 7:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
johnnypark

Nikki Reed is awesome and beautiful, i'm happy she's gonna stay and hopefully she becomes a regular come next season.
Marissa is a pretty funny broad. At the beginning of the episode i was thinking "wow what a spoiled brat", then she went and talked to Sadie and it made me think that maybe she was finally getting over her problems but nope, blow here i come. oh well.
Nice to see they've been starting to heat things up though, this season was a big disappointment until last few weeks.

March 31 2006 at 10:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thomas

Yeah, last episode rocked the casba. I really felt like things are finally picking up. You just know that Julie is going to start showing her evil side again if her daughter gets in the way of her relationship. I hope she goes postal or something and tries to kill her daughter, cause she's crazy like that. I've got this great plot line. I think Sandy should go belly up with this new hospital deal and it should drive his wife to drink. Meanwhile, in her dispair of lossing everything and Ryan eventually ditching that girl they should have an affair. Yep, you heard right! It would be perfect and knowbody would see it coming. Then, in order to save their perfect house Kirsten could convince Sandy to turn over his wealth to Ryan, good ol' Ryan, and he would return it back after Sandy and Kirsten filed bankrupcy. Then, ofcourse since Sandy doesn't know of their affair, Kirsten and Ryan make off with the money and leave Sandy in the dust. You could end the season with Sandy shackin up with Julie after she kills her daughter and looses her engagement cause she's a physco. Oh yeah baby, there's a real plot for you. Anyhow, I can't wait to see what happens.

March 31 2006 at 10:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jared

Dr. Robert's first name is Neil.

March 31 2006 at 7:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jenny

I agree great episode! How great was the Veronica Mars reference! Loved it.

March 31 2006 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davis

This was a GREAT episode. The last 4 episodes have been really amazing. I read somewhere the rest of the season is really good. COKE!!!!!!!!!!!1

March 31 2006 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davis

March 31 2006 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tiff

I'll agree - Seth's weed addiction was lame. And apparently, not even an addiction!

The O.C. lately is like a mediocre Season 1. Which makes it way better than Season 2 and the first part of Season 3.

March 31 2006 at 3:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply