July 25, 2014

Eckholdt, Gorham, and Balfour: Why?

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 5th 2006 8:40AM
Jake 2.0TV scribe Lee Goldberg poses the question, why do they always give TV shows to Steven Eckholdt, Christopher Gorham, and Eric Balfour? They seem to have a new show every year, and every year the shows don't last that long at all. Eckholdt has been in many flops, but was just signed to another CBS show. Gorham has had three short-lived shows in the past few years (Out Of Practice has been taken off the schedule - for now). And Eric Balfour...I barely remember all the shows he was in.

What other stars do they keep giving shows to, year after year, even when the previous show has crashed in flames? (And don't say "Robert Urich" because he actually had some hits).

Nightbaron

... and he was also on Buffy: The Vampire Slayer.

April 21 2006 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carrie Nilles

Eric Balfour was also on Six Feet Under.

April 05 2006 at 10:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joy

Eric Balfour was on "24" and "The O.C.". I would hardly call those flops.

April 05 2006 at 4:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
L'Emmerdeur

Out of Practice proves that a mountain of talent cannot save mediocre writing. Gorham, for one, will find the right vehicle sooner or later.

April 05 2006 at 1:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stephen Prescott

The Christopher Gorham thing is a shame because "Jake 2.0" and "Popular" were both fantastic shows.

April 05 2006 at 11:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

Because they're all very cute guys? How many TV shows are built around gorgeous women?

Since I first saw him, I was sure I'd watch Christopher Gorham in anything -- "Party of Five", "Odyssey 5", "Jake 2.0", "Medical Investigation" -- but "Out of Practice" was too awful for me to make it through more than a handful of episodes, even with Stockard Channing and Henry Winkler (what a phenomenal waste of talent there!). I'll catch him on his next show, which will probably be next season.

April 05 2006 at 10:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doc

Interesting that you mention Gorham because Paula Marshall is also on Out Of Practice. I think she is fantastic, but she does have quite the list of failed shows on her resume now. Previous to Out of Practice, Chicago Sons, Cupid, Snoops, Cursed, and Hidden Hills all failed to get to the second season. Really, the last four should have never happened because Cupid should have ran for years and years. But TV rarely works out the way I would like it to.

April 05 2006 at 9:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply