October 22, 2014

Lost: Dave

by Ryan j Budke, posted Apr 5th 2006 10:38PM
evan handler; dave; lostAnother week, another new Lost. Ok, so that doesn't actually happen that often, but we're kind of on a roll here. This week didn't stack up all that well against last week's episode, that's for sure. I would still probably rank it above the Sun and Jin trip down memory lane though. There seems to be this frightening trend emerging with the Lost episodes where one week is awesome, the next, not so awesome. They've always kind of had that roller coaster feel, but it seems much more pronounced the second half of this season. I'm fine with it, I love roller coasters, but I can easily see how some people want to get off this ride. On with the show!

Tonight's episode was a Hurley-centric one, but not like any other Hurley flashback we've seen, and that's where I think the biggest problem for this episode was, but I'll get to that in just a moment. We all knew Hurley had some mysterious past, and some accident. We all knew that eventually we'd ,find out what it was and we all knew that it probably wasn't going to be pretty, since it was strongly alluded to that he was in a mental institution, but this is Hurley we're dealing with -- did the episode have to be so damn depressing? As I said above, I've gotten used to the ebb and flow of learning juicy tidbits from the episodes, but the Hurley flashbacks so far have been so light-hearted, that I haven't cared whether I "learned what the numbers meant," I just had a good time watching them. Not tonight though. It sucked the fun out of it.

You could see the revelation that Hurley's friend Dave (played by Evan Handler for those going "where do I know him from?") was imaginary from a mile away. Even when the two of them were having their misadventures, when it should have been silly and carefree, seemed really mean-spirited. The one twist that I enjoyed, but called early on (along with some of my faithful chatters), was that Libby was a little bonkers herself. That however leads to another bad habit Lost has gotten into. The chose not to reveal that Libby was there until the final moment of the show. They could have shown that much earlier and let the tension build-- Is she crazy with him? Is she going to throw him from the cliff? Maybe this is all HER dream. Nope. They gave it to you in the closing shot. Lost is becoming like most basketball games-- you can tune in for the last couple of minutes and get the entire story.

Once again, I was much more interested in the "b-story," which happens to be the main story ... I think. I wanted to see more of the-prisoner-formerly-known-as-Henry-Gale. I wanted to see him continue to manipulate everyone like an award winning puppeteer the way he has for the past couple of episodes. I wanted to see more of Ana Lucia and Sayid working together (great team). Alas, not this week. I guess I'll have to wait until next week, it looks like we're going up another hill on the roller coaster. Let me know what you think.

Marc

I think that a lot of the things that are happening on the island are similar to things that happened in peoples back storys.

Michael has lost Walt again for example.

Sun and Jin had marrige difficulties.

Charlie lost the relationship with his brother due to his addiction. Similar to how he lost his relationship with Claire due to his addiction.

Sayid lost Nadia, as he lost Shannon. He presumes Nadia is dead (i might be wrong) on the island shannon dies.

Not 100% sure what i make of this if anything jsut something i hadnt seen mentioned.

April 11 2006 at 10:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bobo

Does anyone recall the tv show, The Prisoner? Food for thought.

April 11 2006 at 10:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
danielle

haha you couldnt be more right.... one week the show is awesome and you can't wait to watch the next week, then it comes on and your like, ok that sucked!

it being hurleys dream would make some sort of sense, like they mentioned with all the food on the island..

April 10 2006 at 2:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Roger Persang

And another thing! Henry Gale says that our losties are a joke and both he and Beardy other imply that they know loads more about them then they do. This suggests that there is an undercover other. But who? I think it might be a taily, we know it's not ana lucia, and I'm pretty sure it's not Bernard, Mr. Echo did go off into the jungle for a while and is building a mistery church thing, but somehow I don't think it's him! Perhaps it's libby, Perhaps that's why she's been stalking him, to make sure he was on the flight! To bring him to the island!

April 10 2006 at 8:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Roger Persang

I thought that this episode was fantastic! Hurley's story shits on all the others! I have a theory (most of which is pretty obvious i'm sure, but any way...

I reckon that Lockes dad is the original Sawyer (obviously) and that he is also the bearded other. I compared screen shots of them both and I reckon they look pretty similar. This would explain why he has to don his rather stupid looking beard! Does any one know where he was heading off to after leaving Locke? Perhaps that's when he crashed onto the island?

April 10 2006 at 6:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Genevieve

What if Libby has been stalking Hurley from a distance since the mental hospital? Maybe her crush on him started back then and she's been following him ever since. That would explain the apparent coincidence that they were on the same plane...

April 09 2006 at 7:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dave

Here is one thing to consider. When Hurley attacked Sawyer, Sawyer said "He's crazy" in a way that made me wonder if Hurley hasn't been acting crazy all along - perhaps everyone knows or suspects he's mentally ill.
That could explain Hurley's flashbacks as a delusion - the flashbacks that have him winning the lottery and thinking he knows the numbers.

Libby could simply coincidentally be at the same place - that level of coincidence is consistant with the rest of the show. She could be a psychologist who had a breakdown at one point.

April 07 2006 at 4:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel

Tucker, I agree completely...

April 07 2006 at 12:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lyn

An additional question to add to #16-- I was awful curious as to why the group allowed the balloon Dharma food to just be grabbed over by anyone, and yet all the food & supplies that are in the hatch seemed to be accounted for and doled out more fairly. Logically, a large shipment of food should be stored or split evenly and cautiously, as everyone realizes by now that they could be stuck on this island for many more years. You can't grow mac & cheese in the jungle! Also Libby laughing while Hurley destroyed and wasted his stash of food while some of the others in the group are still collecting mangos to eat was definately in the nutso category.
Love the show and the way it it makes me say "oooo" out loud when something twists!

April 07 2006 at 11:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tucker

The writers like to poke fun, or at the least acknowledge, some of the crackpot theories out there. See: Sayid and Hurley listening to the radio "...another place. ...OR another TIME!" They do things like this constantly.

Having the "crazy person" think "oh geeze, this is all in my head, it's the only way it's possible" is the writers saying to us "only a crazy person would think it's all a hallucination."

I thought it was a really clever dig at the people who are still, beyond all belief, holding onto this theory. Sorry, but I just don't think the producers are "fake denying" the dead/hallucination theories. I think they're just simply denying it. This episode is an excellent example of that.

April 06 2006 at 8:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply