September 2, 2014

Lost pre-game show: Dave

by Ryan j Budke, posted Apr 5th 2006 11:31AM
hurley robe funny lostI'm thinking about making this "pre-game show" a new weekly column devoted to the week's new episode of Lost. It will give us a place to make some predictions and test some theories out before the episode actually airs. That way, there will be a place where all of us crackpots have our ridiculous theories forever archived in the annals of time, and we can either look back at them and say "Hey look, he was right" or "HA HA! Man you couldn't have been more wrong!"

Preview: Libby lends Hurley support when he begins to think the island is having a strange effect on him; the prisoner provides new information about the hatch, shaking Locke's sense of purpose. (via Time Warner channel guide)

Title first -- Dave? I'm guessing that this is a friend of Hurley's, possibly the cause, in some way, for his time at the institute. Maybe Dave's an invisible friend? We've all seen the previews of Hurley getting angry at Sawyer for calling him crazy for asking if everyone else is seeing what he has. Personally I think this will get neatly wrapped up by the end of the episode. I'm sure we'll find out some more of Hurley's back story and maybe he'll even admit to Libby his institutionalization, but this will only serve to drive these two closer. What really intrigues me is the second half of this teaser. What could we find out about the hatch from the-prisoner-formerly-known-as-Henry-Gale that would shake Locke so badly? He's been through a lot of mind screws lately, but Locke still seems pretty adamant about his beliefs. I am also really torn about how the Others keep referencing to a "him" or alpha male. On one hand, it's good to know that there is a guiding force behind the Others and that will give us a sense of "accomplishment" when we actually do figure out who "he" is. On the other hand, I kind of liked the facelessness of the Others. There's something inherently frightening about the unknown and random.

These are just a couple of thoughts I had after I saw the various previews for tonight's episode. Let's hear some of yours.

Maurice Tift

James - someone has already done something!

April 06 2006 at 3:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
james

we never no if the show is going to be a repeat or if its going to be on at all from one week to the next.

we would really appreciate it if you could do something about this.
Thanks.

April 05 2006 at 8:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
T

Aaron and Tucker:

The numbers doing nothing would be interesting, and speaking for me, I would not feel tricked.

We don't know if Locke's injury from that door in the hatch is going to effect his newly regained ability to walk...

If the numbers did nothing, then that would shake his beliefs/sense of purpose and perhaps cause his physical body to again be paralyzed...

April 05 2006 at 8:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aaron Peck

Thanks Tucker.

April 05 2006 at 5:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maurice Tift

I like the imaginary friend idea partly because I had an imaginary friend when I was little before he overdosed on placebos. However, I'm going to predict that Hurley's imaginary friend was at one time real in a time before Hurley was in the institution, but met his end in a freak accident that involved a bicycle, a squirrel and a freight train.

April 05 2006 at 4:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bus

In case you missed the first season, we've already met the person that Hurley got the numbers from and he directed him to Australia which is how he got on the island in the first place.

From some of the preview pictures, we've seen Hurley with his arm around Dave, but from another angle Hurley has nobody under his arm. My assumption is that Dave is as fictional as Jack's father, he's most likly a manifestation of the island for Hurley alone so the others won't see him but Hurley will.

Another leaked photo was of a scruffy looking Libby in the mental institute, which tells me that she was recognized by Hurley because she was locked up in the same nuthouse as him. Tonight she will either announce that she was in the nuthouse with him or he will recognize her and there will be a falling out of sorts.

April 05 2006 at 3:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scott

You guys think that we find out tonight that entering the numbers does absolutely nothing? You've gotta be kidding.

two reasons:

1) That kind of thing would need to be at the end of the season, or perhaps at the end of the whole series...I think it could be the last thing that ever happens for this show...

2) This show does not trick us very often. There aren't alot of false promises given. I think that, if we found out that the numbers do nothing, then too many people would be let down and pissed off. I don't think that they would write it that way... Just my opinion, though.

April 05 2006 at 2:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tucker

You know, I don't see how I didn't think of this earlier, but I think Aaron Peck might be on to something - Henry admitting that the countdown/entering numbers does absolutely nothing most certainly would shake Locke's faith in the island. The numbers and computer gave Locke a sense of purpose, losing that would make his character take an interesting direction I think. Can't wait for tonight.

April 05 2006 at 1:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alana

I would be willing to bet that Dave is the person who gave Hurley the numbers.

I also believe that Libby knows Hurley has been in a mental institution, because she was there as well. Not as a psychologist, but as a resident.

There's no telling what the fake Henry Gale will say to freak Locke out. I never know what to expect when it comes to this island and its inner workings.

April 05 2006 at 12:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Wyant

Which character do you guys think will get the most information out of Schmenry Bale? Slow and steady Ana Lucia or fast and pull-out-your-fingernails Sayid?

April 05 2006 at 12:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply