September 2, 2014

MTV2 takes on Adult Swim

by Adam Finley, posted Apr 5th 2006 2:29PM

celebrity deathmatchI apologize for piggybacking something personal onto this blog post, but I thought you should know that this is what's happening inside my head all the time. How this girl was able to capture it, I'll never know.

Speaking of animation, last month I mentioned a new animated series from comedians Jeffrey Ross and Tracy Morgan called Where My Dogs At? At the time I couldn't find much information on the series, but it turns out the show is part of a new effort from MTV2 to go head to head with Cartoon Network's Adult Swim block. Besides Ross and Morgan's new series, the network also plans to bring back Celebrity Deathmatch, one of the most boring uses of clay since Gumby. MTV2 has actually been testing the waters with animation for awhile now, tossing in old episodes of Beavis and Butthead and Celebrity Deathmatch into the schedule. Personally, I think they should bring back Liquid Television, or at least show old episodes. I don't know if MTV is in any position to go up against Adult Swim, which is clearly the undisputed champion of experimental animation right now. However, MTV was once a lot like Adult Swim, home to a lot of really great and weird animated shows. It'll be interesting to see if anything they come up with can rival what Adult Swim is offering.

Ryland

I don't know how helpful this is, but there's an online petition to MTV to put shows like Liquid Television and The Maxx out on DVD. Maybe if enough people sign it, MTV will see a market for it.

April 09 2006 at 7:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TJ

I'm surprised that they didn't do something with the Aeon Flux part of Liquid TV when they did the live version movie with Theron.

April 06 2006 at 1:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rocko

screw that stuff

BRING BACK CLONE HIGH FOR GODS SAKE!!

best.cartoon.ever!!!

you can catch episodes of it on youtube

April 06 2006 at 2:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rick

A good show that MTV2 should bring back is Cartoon Sushi. They orginally paired it up with Celebrity Deathmatch when it was first on the air...

April 05 2006 at 9:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
matt

Get us Sifl and Olly (perfect for adult swim's weed-luvin' demographic) and Daria and i might subscribe!

April 05 2006 at 7:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam

Does anyone remember The Maxx from Liquid Television? I used to love that show.

April 05 2006 at 4:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cooper

I agree. Liquid Television is what they SHOULD bring back. Celebrity deathmatch was once cute. Now it is just annoying and a little sad.

April 05 2006 at 4:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bd

Gumby was awesome.

April 05 2006 at 3:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
boohiss

If MTV can snag some staple shows that lead into their experimental stuff (South Park and/or Ren & Stimpy maybe), then they might be able to pull it off. But I doubt it. Beavis and Butthead will not be able to hold an audience like Family Guy or Futurama. I watch it every now and then for nostalgia, but that show is just unwatchable most of the time.

April 05 2006 at 3:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply