October 21, 2014

Um...Rescue Me returns in May?

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 6th 2006 5:27PM
Denis LearyYou know, I thought this show had been either canceled months ago or had just been forgotten about, but it's good news to hear that the Denis Leary show will return to FX on May 30. Thief, the Andre Braugher drama, will end its run on May 2, and the network will run movies and specials til Rescue Me returns.

Lots of heavy stuff coming this season, as well as a multi-episode guest appearance by Susan Sarandon.

Deborah

I also started watching season 2, at first was turned off by the Jesus hallucinations, yet I was blown away by the acting; the entire cast is terrific. A painful, difficult show to watch, incredibly dark, yet compelling. I don't see it going beyond this upcoming season, though.

I think its interesting that FX shows often cast some great actors who we otherwise see in small or bit parts on network TV or not at all. Bravo.

May 16 2006 at 5:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kenivc

Did not start watching until S2..one of the best ending each week, musically speaking as well. They should tie in with itunes like the Sopranos so you can download some of the soundtrack to the shows.....

April 09 2006 at 6:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
laura

I had seen that fx was repeating previous episodes of Rescue Me and knew the new season was coming soon! I am glad I can finally mark my calendar! REscue Me is the best show! Can't wait for the upcoming season

April 09 2006 at 12:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
smikwily

I've been all over FX since the second season of The Shield and noticed that they seem to follow some sort of "rhythm" when they start the new seasons: an established series runs pretty much straight through on Tues, with a "new show" usually premiering a few weeks before the established show ends either running as a follow up or on Wednesday at the same time. After the establish show finishes its season, the new show takes over the time-slot and day. They either repeat this until they run out of new shows (it started with The Shield and Nip Tuck) or take a short break in the middle of a season.

I think last year had The Shield, then Rescue Me, then Nip Tuck, followed by Over There. (I believe this years The Shield and last years Nip Tuck both were due to The Fantastic Four, but The Shield usually starts the year out around new Years). I also think Thief was supposed to be on late in the year, but was bumped to follow up The Shield this season. Over There is the only new show I know of to be canceled and I believe the new Eddie Izzard/Minnie Driver series will probably follow the same rhythm if it is picked up.

It a fairly easy rhythm to catch once you figure it out and it does a good job of letting you warm up to a new season of one show as another is wrapping up. Plus it helps ease the withdrawal:)

April 07 2006 at 3:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

This spectacular show has always run a short season in the summer (13 episodes, from July to October). Why you would think it was canceled is beyond me.

P.S. Denis Leary spells his name with one n.

April 07 2006 at 1:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Meb

For some reason, I've noticed their season runs opposite to the "regular" shows season. It's on over the summer, which is good, because nothing else is on.

This show ROCKS and I LOVE Dennis Leary. They do need to have more of the fire vs. police hockey games though. :-)

April 06 2006 at 10:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dirtgirl

this is the best show nobody watches (and it has the best theme song around). i went back and watched S1 on DVD thanks to netflix and can't get over how entertaining it is. i had no idea dennis leary was that talented.

the thing that blows me away was a few months back when everyone was up in arms about "Book of Daniel" because some dude talked to Jesus and did drugs. This is straight out of Rescue Me Season 2, but nobody said boo about it when they did it. I guess the networks are held to a different standard, or you can get away with shit when nobody watches your show.

April 06 2006 at 10:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BartmanDK

I had almost given up hope on this kickass show, but im SOOO glad to hear that its comming back!.. have been waiting a long time for this! :D

April 06 2006 at 6:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply