November 1, 2014

Conviction: Madness

by Anna Johns, posted Apr 8th 2006 8:43AM
eric balfour; conviction(S01E06) First of all... yum. Eric Balfour dancing with that woman in the opening scene? That, my friends, is how you open a show. Too bad J. August Richards totally ruined the mood.

Is it me or was everyone talking really fast during this episode? That opening sequence was all smooth and slow and then we just dove right the heck into fast-talking office-speak and, I tell you what, I spent the rest of the episode playing catch-up.

I seriously don't like ADA Billy Desmond (Richards). He's a slimeball, isn't he? He uses that blonde legal clerk for sex and he only likes cases where he gets to fight someone and claim a glorious victory. And then, in what appeared to be an effort to hit on the doctor while simultaneously keeping a murderer off the street, he tampers with a witness. Murderer dude ends up staying in the mental hospital anyway, since he knows he'll be charged with murder the second he gets out. And, of course, Desmond misses his girlfriend's performance at a bar. She rightfully dumps his ass. I was so not broken up over that break up.

As for ADA Jessica Rossi (Govich), she has two storylines this week. First, the usual keep-it-casual sexual relationship with her boss (Anson Mount) gets strained, and the plaintiff in her trial turns out not to be such a great guy. I don't understand why she doesn't drop Steele after finding out that he slept with Alexandra Cabot (Stephanie March) last week (in the worst sex scene ever!).

ADA Nick Potter (Bridges) takes over one of Desmond's cases of a kid who brought a loaded gun to school and it all goes to hell. The defense attorney and the boy's family beg for the kid to be let out on bail but, on the advice of Rossi and Desmond, Potter doesn't budge. The boy ends up dying in prison. Man, this ADA gig really sucks.

ADA Brian Peluso's (Balfour) storyline is mainly personal. Apparently he has reconciled with Lisa and now things are moving very quickly. They're getting an apartment together and he's making an effort with her family. She's high class, he's not. We get it. They just don't fit. But, his storyline never wraps up. Did anybody else notice that?

Sadly, we don't get to see a lot of ADA Christina Finn (Julianne Nicholson) this week. She is still my favorite character and this week she just gets to tug at our heartstrings a little bit with her crush on Peluso and then is treated like crap from some jerk of an attorney. I love how she handled him. She totally shot him down with the bad breath thing. She found his weakness: His vanity!

Next week: Potter gets mugged (and probably a lot of other stuff).

Rachel

I was wondering if anyone ever found the title/artist of the song on "conviction" that has the lyrics..(this is my intention) at the beginning of the show?

May 06 2006 at 1:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joni

I'm looking for the title/artist of the song that was playing at the end of the most recent episode of conviction on Friday, April 28th. I think the artist might be Holly Brook, but on iTunes I find only 5 songs and none of them are it.

Thanks for any help

April 30 2006 at 8:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dawn

Does anyone know the title/artist of the song on "conviction" that has the lyrics...this is my intention?

April 15 2006 at 12:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dustin

Does anyone know what actress plays Brian's girlfriend Lisa? She looks so familiar.

April 12 2006 at 2:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce peterson

Help can someone get me a copy of the Conviction episode that aired on 4/07/06. I will gladly pay for this item. Help I am desperate.

bruce

April 09 2006 at 2:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

Does anyone know the name of the song/artist of the theme song?

NOT All Will Be Well, by Gabe Dixon...

April 08 2006 at 6:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kiyotei

I liked the episode. There was a quick discussion of the term coprophage and it was decided that Christina did not want to know what it means. Being a curious cat I just had to look it up. Now I know that Divine was a coprophage in the movie "Pink Flamingos".

April 08 2006 at 12:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

I thought this was a real crappy episode -- not that there have been a lot of good ones so far. I still think L&O: Trial by Jury was a much better show. However, what continues to make this show interesting to me is that it doesn't shy away from the politics of the choices made by some of the DAs and ADAs, and even shows how they don't always agree with or like the decisions they have to make. The Potter character is a prime example of this (and I really don't like this character). He knows this kid he has to prosecute doesn't belong in jail. Yes, yes the kid brought a gun to school in the post-Columbine era, but there were obviously circumstances to consider, but all Desmond cares about is that the case is a "slam dunk," even trotting out the tired adjective "limousine liberal." Potter wants to cut deal, but everyone has him believing he’s once again being played by the bleeding heart liberal defense attorney. Turns out the bleeding heart liberal defense attorney was right this time. Then, we have the other side of the story with Desmond trying to keep an obviously deadly killer in the loony bin for a little longer. This time we have a different point of view where an intelligent criminal is trying to use the system to avoid being prosecuted for murder. Desmond wins the day here, but not without using the system himself. Seeing both side of the coin, so to speak, it was makes this show so interesting to watch sometimes. I continue to believe the cast is too large. Cutting Govich and Richards would make the show so much better and allow the writers to better utilize a good actress like Stephanie March. Maybe they could also give Anson Mount something to do other than “mounting” the various women he works with.

April 08 2006 at 11:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply