July 28, 2014

How I Met Your Mother: Nothing good happens after 2 A.M.

by Ryan j Budke, posted Apr 11th 2006 11:36AM
how i met your
mother; ted; robin; barney; suit up(S01E018) What'd I tell you -- Robin's evil; she was only making a booty call. So all of you people that had theories along the lines of "Maybe Victoria went over to Robin's to surprise Ted" or "Robin just wants to talk to Ted," I only have one thing to say to you -- nyah nyah nyah! This episode hurt though, and since so many comparisons are drawn between this and Friends, this will remind many people of "The One with The Break." The entire show had a different pacing, and since we already know that Robin and Ted don't end up together, we knew this couldn't end well. On with the show!

After hearing Ted's mother's advice, I took a quick retrospective look into Ryan j Budke's life, and you know what? Nothing good does happen after 2am. Now, don't get me wrong -- there's plenty of fun things that happen after 2am (jousting in shopping carts at a 24-hour Wal-Mart, plenty of things involving alcohol, etc), but very rarely can you wake up the next day and think "oh, that was brilliant. I'm very glad I did that." So when Robin calls Ted in the middle of the night, we all realize it's bad news. Ted has convinced himself that he and Victoria are over and acts on his former feelings for Robin, but only after telling her that they had broken up. Little white lies and assumptions have never hurt anyone. Right?

After a slight mix-up with their phones, Robin ends up answering a call from Victoria on Ted's phone. After talking with her, Robin realizes that Victoria still considers herself and Ted very much "together" and trouble ensues. A phone is thrown at someone else's head and, needless to say, Robin isn't happy. This is where I get a little aggravated, though. This is what Robin has wanted all along (by "all along" I mean the past five episodes or so), and before this she seemed perfectly content with trying to break Ted and Victoria up. Although she seems really strong, looking back, Robin's character has been pretty wishy-washy the entire season, and while aggravating, it still seemed in character for her to be upset.

There's only four new episodes left for the season, and according to our Spoilers Anonymous, we're in for some big twists. Oh, and a quick side note -- Robin's creepy co-anchor Sandy Rivers, was played by Alexis Denisof, Alyson Hanigan's (Lily) real life husband. Let me know what you think!

Barneyisms of the week:
"Hey kids, let's be honest -- you don't give half a brown crayola about what I do for a living"
"Audience, say it with me ... 'Legendary'"
"Hey, you guys remember that time that Lily kicked Korean Elvis in the nards?"

Raven(14)

You know, there are such weird things to this show--even though I love it. I mean, come on, they kinda said in the first episode that Ted didn't end up with Robin...yet throughout the entire season they like eachother. What?? And I must say, Barney rocks.

June 18 2006 at 7:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Caris

The song that was near the beginning of the episode is on the soundtrack to the movie Clueless althought I'm not sure of the name.

April 22 2006 at 12:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cari

does anyone know the music used for the episode nothing good ever happens after 2am? please email me at bronxgirlcl@aol.com if you do. thanks

April 16 2006 at 12:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nick

Hi guys..does anyone out there know the name of the song that was playing near the beginning of the episode? I've heard many times before on commercials and it's quite catchy. It starts....'We are young, We are free, see the sights..etc etc.....we're alright. Catchy piano playing in the background...I don't think it's a fairly new song but I can't get the name of it or band anywhere...If anyone can help I'd really be greatful...And o ya....Ted....dude...mixing up your phone?....Not smart...good luck now!

April 15 2006 at 8:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deb G.

FYI: The song I was looking is by Robin Hackett. Here's the link to where you can buy: http://cdbaby.com/cd/hackett

April 12 2006 at 3:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

Doesnt anyone on this show user caller ID? When Ted was in the cab and he thought it was Victoria calling all he had to do was look at the screen to see it was Marshall. When Robyn picked up Ted's phone all she had to do was look at the screen to see it was Victoria calling. And in this day in age what are the chances that Robin and Ted were using the exact same ringers? My girlfriend and I both have the same model RAZR and not once in the past 4 months have they been mixed up. Still love the show though.

April 12 2006 at 9:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stephen

why would victoria call ted at 3 o'clock in the morning? yeah, sure it's 9 am in germany but that's just rude.

April 11 2006 at 11:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bri

i want to know what song was playing at the end of the show... does anyone know?? i tried googling it... no luck.. :(

April 11 2006 at 11:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deb G.

Does anyone know the name of the song that played at the end of the episode when Robin answered Ted's cell phone?

Here's some of the lyrics:

Sorry baby but its getting too hard to take
I close my eyes I know my hearts about to break

I've searched and searched with no luck. Any luck here?

April 11 2006 at 11:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lauren

I think Robin has the classic "only wants what she can't have" syndrome. Ted is WAY too good for her.

April 11 2006 at 5:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply