April 25, 2014

The Five: Great Simpsons musical moments

by Adam Finley, posted Apr 12th 2006 5:50PM

simpsonsThe Simpsons receives plenty of well-deserved praise, but I think people take for granted the great music in the series, all composed by the great Alf Clausen. Clausen worked on several other TV series as well, including, funny enough, ALF. His contribution adds a great dimension to the show, so I thought it would be cool to use this episode of The Five to talk about our favorite musical moments from The Simpsons. Here's a few I like:

Jasper sings the theme from A Summer Place:  This is possibly my favorite Simpsons moment of all time, or a least in my top five. During the episode when Homer is telling his family how he was once in a popular barber shop quartet, there's a scene where they're auditioning new singers. Jasper chooses to sing the theme from A Summer Place, which doesn't actually have words, so he just keeps singing the words, "theeeeeme, from a suuummer plaaaaaace...." It cracks me up every time, but unfortunately I think that segment is cut out when the episode airs in syndication.

The Jockey Song: Well, whatever it's called. It's the tune the magic jockeys sing to Homer after they kidnap him and tell him Bart and his new horse must lose the next race. "We are the jockeys, jockeys are we. We live underground in a fiberglass tree." This segment helped confirm a lot of suspicions I had about horse racing.

Maison Derriere: In the episode "Bart After Dark" Homer "forces" Bart to work at a burlesque house after he breaks a window. When Marge finds out about the place she tries to have it shut down, but thanks to an impromptu song by Homer touting the benefits of having a burlesque house in the neighborhood, the ever-malleable townsfolk accept it for what it is. Then Marge crashes a bulldozer into it.

Stop the Planet of the Apes, I Want to Get Off: Troy McClure, played by the late Phil Hartman, puts everything he has into a hilarious musical version of Planet of the Apes. The song contains one of the best lines I've ever heard on The Simpsons or elsewhere: "I hate every ape I see, from chimpan-A to chimpan-Z."

Homer's ad libs: There are numerous occasions in which Homer is singing along to a popular song and forgets the words, resulting in some hilarious ad libbing. This results in such great lines as:

I take a whiskey drink,
I take a chocolate drink,
And when I have to pee,
I use the kitchen sink.
I sing the song that reminds me I'm a urinating guy

I actually prefer those over the original lyrics.

Okay, time to share some of your own and tell me which ones you can't believe I left out.

Ernest Alba

Wow, as soon as I read this post, only one episode immediately popped into my mind - now a second one does...now a third one. Gosh, The Simpsons is great. Anyway, the weird thing is that these three that I've thought of haven't been mentioned by ANYBODY yet. At least not that I've seen. Anyway, one of the greatest episodes when it comes to music (purely genius in my opinion) is Colonel Homer (season 3, episode 20), where he becomes the manager of country singer Lurlene. Every single one of her songs is beautiful both in melody and in lyric. In addition, they make profound statements about her feelings, Homer's feelings, and the situations that evolve from their manager/singer relationship. The last song she plays on the episode has to be one of the most poignant moments in Simpsons history.

The second episode I thought of was the one where Homer is in a Barbershop Quartet. Again, the songs they sing are great. And the finale on the rooftop, though it's been done, still becomes a poignant ending to a great episode.

The final episode I thought of was the one featuring N'Sync. The pop songs they sang were hilarious and catchy. They weren't necessarily better than any of the ones previously mentioned in other comments on this post (there were a lot of good ones there), but these deserve mentioning.

May 02 2006 at 11:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jen

My baloney has a first name, it's H-O-M-E-R
My baloney has a second name, it's H-O-M-E-R

April 13 2006 at 11:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
beagle4pack

I highly second Burns singing "See My Vest"

April 13 2006 at 11:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
B

When Homer gets accecpted to college: (While burning his GED, still on the wall)
"I am so smart
S M R T
I mean S M A R T."

April 13 2006 at 10:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amir

"Under the sea,
Under the sea,
There will be no accusations,
Just friendly crustaceans,
Under the sea!"

April 13 2006 at 10:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
A_bug

Well Sure yea, Monorail, Planet of the Apes, and Maison Derriere are all great (and they are). And who can forget shortly after Apu finishes 'Who need the Kwik-E-Mart?' when Homer exclaims. . ."Hey He lied to us through SONG!"

But The better 'Ned Flanders' Song is from the short Ned Flander's story tacked on the end of a regular Simpson's Episode.

All I can really remember is;

Geese Love Ganders
Everyone Else Loves Ned Flanders.

The other 'tid bit' i love is when Home (and family) are in a car wreck and they realize they hit something and then

Homer: "D'oh!"
Lisa: "A Deer"
Marge: "A Female Deer"

____________

ok But now to my Main Point is about karsh's post about the The Mr. Burns Tribute Song. Just for sake of clarity and such - that is not really a Simpson's Song. While i don't know much (and could speculate) this is I do know. It was the first (of many) References to the Classic 1941 Film Citizen Kane.

I think (and this is the speculation part) that the song was a common song, that was often used for Roast like situations.

No big deal, just felt like clarifying (as I'm a great fan of both The Simpson's, and Citizen Kane).

A (

April 13 2006 at 10:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
amir

The choices listed in the comments are FAR superior to the forgettable Simpsons moments named by the poster. A scene that wasn't syndicated? You've gotta be kidding me. How can you forget the monorail and stonecutters songs? Seriously. You're the worst Simpsons fan ever.

April 13 2006 at 9:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elliott

Casting a vote for "Monorail".

April 13 2006 at 9:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mack Swift

You could close down Moe's,
Or the Kwik-E-Mart,
And nobody would care,
But the heart and soul
Of Springfield's in
Our Maison Derriere!

We're the sauce on your steak,
We're the cheese in your cake,
We put the spring in Springfield.
We're the lace on the nightgown,
The point after touchdown,
Yes we put the spring in Springfield.

We're that little extra spice
That makes existence extra-nice,
A giddy little thrill
At a reasonable price.
Our only major quarrel's
With your total lack of morals.
Our skimpy costumes ain't so bad,
They seem to entertain your dad!

The gin in your martini,
The clams on your linguine,
Yes we keep the
(Belle flicks Bumblebee Man's antenna)
In Springfield!

We remember our first visit,
The service was exquisite!
Why Joseph, I had no idea!
Come on now, you were working here!
Without it we'd have had no fun
Since March of 1961!
To shut it down now would be twisted,
We just heard this place existed!

We're the highlights in your hairdo,
The extra arms on Vishnu,
So don't take the
(Barney opens a Krusty-in-the-box)
We won't take the
(Sideshow Mel blows on his slide-whistle)
Yes let's keep the
(Moe crashes two garbage can lids together)
In Springfield!

April 13 2006 at 8:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kaufman

My favorite: Professor Frink's theme, and how it kind of falls apart as he's singing it. he finally ends the song by blaming the monkey that kept him from the episode (he's singing over the end credits)

Ha ha, mm-m hey hey,

Professor Frink,
Professor Frink,
He'll make you laugh,
he'll make you think,
He likes to run,
and then the thing,
with the... mm-m person...

Oh boy, that monkey is going to pay.

April 13 2006 at 8:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply